Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Happy Australia Day!

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie! Oi, Oi, Oi!


To any and all Australians out there, I would like to wish you all a Happy Australia Day! January 26th marks the date when the First Fleet arrived at Sydney Cove in 1788 and is used to celebrate what's great about being Australian.



Despite being a a day of fun and partying, which many use as an excuse to get drunk, play cricket all day instead of working and of course, fire up the BBQ - it's a good time to remember a great number of Australians are currently suffering the devastating effects of the recent floods to pass through Queensland. Those of which are still sweeping their way through other parts of the country. Watching the coverage on the news has been heartbreaking. Yet in the midst of all the chaos and fear, the bravery and selflessness of so many Australian's came to light. Australia isn't perfect, we have crime and prejudice and whatever other injustices just like every country, but in times of need our spirit is one and we band together to help each other. This is why I'm proud to say I am Australian. Plus.... we're kind of awesome. You know it's true ;)


So in honour of Australia Day, I thought I'd spotlight some Aussie goodness in the bookin' society. The sad fact is, I haven't read all that many Australian YA novels. I have plenty in my TBR pile, but I still haven't gotten around to reading them. Shame on me!

Most of the Australian (or written by an Australian author) books I've read are either middle-grade ones when I was in Primary School (I loved Paul Jennings and Morris Gleitzman) and adult novels in High School. A particular Australian favourite was Bryce Courtenay - you should definitely check him out if you read adult fiction!


However two Aussie YA novels are recent standouts for me are:




Stolen by Lucy Christopher - AMAZING. Brilliant. Will play with your mind and emotions. Just wow.
Good Oil by Lucy Christopher [My Review on Goodreads] - I really loved this, it's a beautiful coming of age story that everyone should read <3

Some Aussie novels I'm excited to get my hands on:




Burn Bright by Marianne de Pierres
Tomorrow When The War Began by James Marsden (still haven't watched the movie yet! Must. Do. Soon)
Fury by Shirley Sarr
Beautiful Malice by Rebecca James
Mercy by Rebecca Lim

What Aussie books (either written by an Australian author or set in Australia) are you looking forward to? Have you read any standout Aussie novels? 

And if I have any Aussie readers out there, are you doing anything special to celebrate?

5 comments:

  1. Happy Australia Day, my fellow aussie!!!!
    Melina Marchetta is one of my favourite Australian authors.
    I also adore the Children of the Wind series by Kirsty Murray. And I have been wanting to read The Messenger by Marcus Zusak and Noah’s Law by Randa Abdel-Fattah. Oh and I really have to re-read Tomorrow When The War Began - and then see the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Australia Day to you too!
    I loved Stolen as well, and Beautiful Malice is one of my favorite books ever. Hope you get to read it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Australia Day!! Books by Markus Zusak areamazing as well as anything by Melina Marchetta. Currently I'm reading Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley because it's a quick book and I can get it hopefully read for today's special occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome to see you guys have some Aussie faves! I actually have The Pipers Son by Melina Marchetta, it's been sitting in my bookshelf for months. Methinks I need to get to it soon!

    Great recs! You're tempting me into a week of aussie reading ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Australia Day!! :) I want Burn Bright and Mercy! The covers are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates