Thursday, January 20, 2011

Review: Glass House (Morganville Vampires #1)

 
 
Author: Rachel Caine
Release Date: Already on shelves
Publisher: Penguin Australia

It's a small college town filled with quirky characters. But when the sun goes down, the bad comes out. Because in Morganville, there is an evil that lurks in the darkest shadows - one that will spill out into the bright light of day. 

Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation. The popular girls never let her forget just where she ranks on the school's social scene: somewhere less than zero. And Claire really doesn't have the right connections - to the undead who run the town. 


When Claire heads off campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Hew new roommates don't show many signs of life. But they'll have Claire's back when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood...

I know, I know - another vampire book, right? As if there aren't enough of these bloodsuckers lining our bookshelves? Well, personally I'm not really sick of them. When you have authors like Richelle Mead (Vampire Academy series) who bring a whole new take to the vamp mythology, it's easy to still remain intrigued!

Glass Houses is the first book in the Morganville Vampire series. I have to say, I quite enjoyed it. I was really debating whether or not to give it 3 1/2 stars or 4... but in the end I settled on 4. It's a fast read (when you're not majorly slacking off on your reading duties by watching dvd's), Rachel's writing is easy and addictive - one of those books that you get sucked into and before you know it, you're halfway through already.

Claire Denvers is a 16 year old brain-child whose book-smarts have scored her a place in college. Despite being so young, her parents agreed to let her go, provided she enrolled somewhere reasonably close to home. So say hello to Morganville. It doesn't take long for Queen Bee of Texas Prairie University, Monica Morrell, to have it in for Claire. She and her loyal minions waste no time with empty threats and schoolyard taunts, they rush straight into the 'beating-up-and-pushing-down-a-flight-of-stairs' method... psycho much?!

After the brutal attack and seriously fearing for her life, Claire ends up renting a room at the Glass House, with residents Michael, Shane and Eve. I really enjoyed these characters, they were fun and entertaining and it's really easy to see yourself hanging around with them... or sharing a house while homicidal vamps roam the town and a nutcase cliche of girls are plotting your death. Morganville is basically run by the vampires - while the majority can't come out in daylight, they make up for those lost hours by getting their creep-on when the sun falls and fanging on poor college girls.

The story is fast-paced, withplenty of humour, witty dialogue, danger ahoy and some light romance which I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing develop more as the series continues. The vampire society is pretty interesting and some of the humans (namely Monica) are just as dangerous as the vamps. It ends on a cliffhanger though, so I recommend having the second book on standby when finishing this, because you'll get pissed if you don't. I sure did!

Now I need to hurry up and get my hands on The Dead Girls' Dance!

Rating 4/5

6 comments:

  1. I read this book a while ago, but I really liked it. Despite the huger number o vampire books, Morganville Vampires remains one of my favorite vamp series. Great review!:) Oh... and I love this Australian cover!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this book too! It is strangely addicting; like you can't put it down. I love how it's never boring in Morganville :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds pretty good. I'm kind of burnt out on vampires at the moment but if ever I get a craving, I would love to read this series and Vampire Academy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good! But like Aylee, vampire overload for me. Unless of course, the vampire is as hot as Damon from the Vampire Diaries. Then you've got me. :) This is a long series! So you'll be reading and enjoying every installment! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deea & Laura - glad you both liked it too! I only just realised how long this series was, I definitely need to get started on the other novels!

    Aylee - despite your vampire burnout, if there is one vamp series you have to read - VAMPIRE ACADEMY it is! Seriously, it's nothing like the other bloodsucking books you've seen before. Trust me when I say you'll love it!

    Precious - Hahaha well... I'm not Team Damon despite loving the show, but Shane is a pretty cool non-vampire guy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I need to read the last books in the series myself. So many books, so little time...*sigh*
    Oh... and Team Damon all the way!:xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates