Saturday, January 22, 2011

Review: The Lost Saint

 


Author: Bree Despain
Release Date: Already on shelves
Publisher: Egmont USA


A family destroyed. A love threatened. An enemy returns.

Grace Divine made the ultimate sacrifice to cure Daniel Kalbi. She was infected with he werewolf curse while trying to save him, and lost her beloved brother in the process.

Desperate to find Jude, Grace befriends Talbot, a newcomer to town. But as the two grow closer, Grace's relationship with Daniel is put in danger -- in more ways than one.

Unaware of the dark path she is walking, Grace begins to give into the wolf inside of her -- not realizing that an enemy has returned and a deadly trap is about to be sprung.

Bree Despain delivers sizzling romance and thrilling action in the heart-pounding sequel to the The Dark Divine
  
Warning: Contains spoilers for those who have not read The Dark Divine.

I really should have reread The Dark Divine before starting it's sequel - It's been ages since I first read it, so to be honest I was a little 'huh?' in the beginning thanks to my memory failing me. Fortunately, my confusion was short-lived!

At first I thought this was going to suffer the new trend gripping many YA sequels where after finally getting together at the end of the first book, the guy withdraws in the sequel with no explanation, girl is confused as to why he's pushing her away and their relationship is in tatters. Okay, so maybe that DID happen. But do not let that deter you, because the fast-paced plot laced with action, danger, intriguing mythology and all that yummy emotional angst totally makes up for it.

In The Lost Saint, Grace finds herself battling the raging wolf within as it tries to overcome her. She made the ultimate sacrifice in order to cure Daniel in The Dark Divine and now she must deal with the result of her actions. The Divine family is way out of tune with the perfect harmony it was sang to - with Jude gone, their mother is either smothering or else completely withdrawn, their father is gone for long periods of time as he chases up wild leads on finding Jude and Grace is on the brink of near-wolfing out. Charity and Baby James are probably the only ones who still resemble some form of normalcy, but of course they're affected by the discord in their family.

Grace and Daniel are okay for a little while... but *sigh* nothing stays rosy in fictionalville. We're introduced to a new character, Talbot, who I had totally pegged from the start.... but he did end up surprising me in the end. You're not really sure whether or not to trust him - he's an Urbat and comes along after Daniel suddenly withdraws from Grace. He and Grace start training in secret (our heroine is becoming quite the kickass she-wolf), trying to help her grasp hold of her powers so she can protect herself and fight against the monsters.  He's not interested in her taking it slow and finding 'balance' like Daniel had first tried - he throws her straight into battle with demons. True, she's growing stronger, learning to unleash the power within... but at what cost? As her powers strengthen, so does the wolf within.

While I was frustrated with both Grace and Daniel for not having enough trust in one another to reveal what they were each up to - I have to say, any irritation I held totally melted away with a certain scene toward the end. All I will say is AWWWW! Something incredibly sweet and heartbreaking goes down in the midst of all the action and general life-threatening ordeal that made me want to run into the book and hug Daniel. But no time for that Brodie, we have an awesome action-packed ending to attend to!

The ending was great, everything come to a head and while I had quite a few of the revelations predicted early on, a couple of things did surprise me. Also, CLIFFHANGERS ARE NOT MY FRIEND! *tears at hair* Why do authors do that? End the book on such a "nooo!" moment and then 'goodbye, the end, now you can wait a year to find out what happens next, buahahaha'. Not cool, Despain. The ending did remind me of something in another YA werewolf book, but I shan't reveal which since it's a nasty spoiler.

I liked this one even better than the first and am counting down the days until we can conclude this fantastic trilogy!

Rating: 5/5

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful review! But then...the-guy-pulling-away-leaving-the-girl-confused-part again? Oh, please no. I did not expect that. I never did! But I did like that they make up for it near the end. And who is this new guy? Is he gorgeous too? ;) Poor Baby James! He's too young for family crisis. I'm guessing Jude might come back in the third book. Another cliffhanger? Aw. Now I'm thinking whether I should buy The Lost Saint now or wait for the release of the last book and buy Book 2 and 3!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Precious! I wasn't expecting it either, so I was a little bummed when I first realised it was happening. D'oh! I was going to add in a few more lines about Jude, but forgot. He is actually in this book - all I'll say is you'll get a bit of a shock with his behaviour!

    I'm not commenting anymore on Talbot just in case I give away spoilers LOL. Personally, I wasn't drawn to him.

    Buy it now. It's great and the painful wait makes it all that more frustratingly enjoyable ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates