Monday, February 14, 2011

Love Is In The Air

"What is love, really? Flowers, chocolate, and poetry? Or was it something else? Was it being able to finish someone's joke? Was it having absolute faith that someone was there at your back? Was it knowing someone so well that they instantly understood why you did the things you did--and shared those same beliefs?" 

- Rose Hathaway, Last Sacrifice

Since it's Valentine's Day, I thought I'd share some quotes from a couple of my favourite pairings in YA fiction. Warning: There may be some spoilers if you haven't read certain books from each series.


Dimitri and Rose, Vampire Academy series


"Who else is going?" I asked.
He shrugged. "Just you and me."
My mood promptly shot up past 'cheerful' and went straight to 'ecstatic'. Me and Dimitri. Alone. In a car. This might very well be worth a surprise test.
"How far is it?" Silently, I begged for it to be a really long drive. Like, one that would take a week. And would involve us staying overnight in luxury hotels. Maybe we'd get stranded in a snow bank, and only body heat would keep us alive.
"Five Hours."
"Oh."
A bit less than I'd hoped for. Still, five hours was better than nothing. It didn't rule out the snow bank possibility, either."

- Frostbite
"No," Dimitri interrupted gently. He moved his face  toward mine, our foreheads nearly touching. "It won't happen to you. You're too strong. You'll fight it, just like you did this time."
"I only did because you were here."
He wrapped his arms around me, and I buried my face in his chest. "I can't do it by myself," I whispered.
"You can," he said. There was a tremulous note in his voice. "You're strong-you're so, so strong. It's why I love you."

- Shadow Kiss
"Did you mean it... that if Victor did tell...that you'd..." I couldn't finish. I couldn't bring myself to say the words have him killed.
"I don't have much influence in the upper levels of Moroi royalty, but I have plenty among the guardians who handle the dirty work in our world."
"You didn't answer the question. If you'd really do it."
"I'd do a lot of things to protect you, Roza."

- Shadow Kiss
He was kissing me back. Maybe, just maybe, Dimitri wasn't as resolved as he claimed to be. Maybe under all that guilt and certainty that he couldn't love again, he still wanted me. I would have liked to have found out. But I didn't have the time.
Instead, I punched him."

- Last Sacrifice
"I'm glad you gave in. I'm glad your self control isn't as strong as mine."
"Roza, my self-control is ten times stronger than yours."
"Oh yeah? That's not the impression I just got."
"Wait until next time. I'll do things that'll make you lose control within seconds."

- Last Sacrifice

Adrian and Rose, Vampire Academy series


"Damn it," I muttered.
"What?" asked Adrian.
"I hate when you're the sane one. That's my job."
"Rose," he said, forcibly trying to keep a serious tone, "I can think of many words to describe you, sexy and hot being at the top of the list. You know what's not on the list? Sane."

- Shadow Kiss

"You approve?" I asked, spinning around. He slipped an arm around my waist. "Unfortunately, yes. I was hoping you'd show up in something a lot sluttier. Something that would scandalize my parents."
"Sometimes it's like you don't even care about me as a person," I observed as we walked inside. "It's like you're just using me for shock value."
"It's both, little dhampir. I care about you, and I'm using you for shock value."

- Spirit Bound
"I nearly dropped the plate I held. "You've asked me out tons of times."
"Not really. I've made inappropriate suggestions and frequently pushed for nudity. But I've never asked you out on a real date. And, if memory serves, you did say you'd give me a fair chance once I let you clean out my trust fund."
"I didn't clean it out," I scoffed.

- Blood Promise


Ron and Hermione - the greatest series ever written Harry Potter series 


Ron had ambled over to them looking lost and desperate.
"Good luck, Ron," said Hermione, standing on tiptoe and kissing him on the cheek. "And you, Harry-"
Ron seemed to come to himself slightly as they walked back across the Great Hall. He touched the spot on his face where Hermione had kissed him, looking puzzled, as though he was not quite sure what had just happened.

- Order Of The Phoenix
“Hang on a moment!” said Ron sharply. “We’ve forgotten someone!”
“Who?” asked Hermione.
“The house-elves, they’ll all be down in the kitchen, won’t they?”
“You mean we ought to get them fighting?” asked Harry.
“No” said Ron seriously, “I mean we should tell them to get out. We don’t want any more Dobbies, do we? We can’t order them to die for us — “
There was a clatter as the basilisk fangs cascaded out of Hermione’s arms. Running at Ron, she flung them around his neck and kissed him full on the mouth. Ron threw away the fangs and broomstick he was holding and responded with such enthusiasm that he lifted Hermione off her feet.
“Is this the moment?” Harry asked weakly, and when nothing happened except that Ron and Hermione gripped each other still more firmly and swayed on the spot, he raised his voice. “OI! There’s a war going on here!”
Ron and Hermione broke apart, their arms still around each other.
“I know, mate” said Ron, who looked as though he had recently been hit on the back of the head with a Bludger, “so it’s now or never, isn’t it?”
"Never mind that, what about the Horcrux?" Harry shouted. "D'you think you could just --- just hold it in, until we've got the diadem?"
"Yeah --- right --- sorry ---" said Ron, and he and Hermione set about gathering up fangs, both pink in the face."

- Deathly Hallows
Ron tripped dazedly toward Harry and Hermione.
“You’re okay,” he mumbled, before Hermione flew at him and hugged him tightly.
“I thought – I thought – "
“M all right,” said Ron, patting her on the back. “M fine.”
“Ron was great,” said Tonks warmly, relinquishing her hold on Lupin. “Wonderful. Stunned one of the Death Eaters, straight to the head, and when you’re aiming at a moving target from a flying broom –“
“You did?” said Hermione, gazing up at Ron with her arms still around his neck.
“Always the tone of surprise,” he said grumpily, breaking free.

- Deathly Hallows
"Ron," said Hermione in a dignified voice, dipping the point of her quill into her ink pot, "you are the most insensitive wart I have ever had the misfortune to meet."

- Order Of The Phoenix


Katniss and Peeta  -The Hunger Games trilogy


"Peeta, you were supposed to wake me after a couple of hours," I say.
"For what? Nothing's going on here," he says. "Besides, I like watching you sleep. You don't scowl. Improves your looks a lot."
This, of course, brings on a scowl that makes him grin." 
- Catching Fire
In the fluorescent light, the circles under his eyes look like bruises. “There’s still time. You should sleep.” Unresisting, he lies back down, but just stares at the needle on one of the dials as it twitches from side to side. Slowly, as I would with a wounded animal, my hand stretches out and brushes a wave of hair from his forehead. He freezes at my touch, but doesn’t recoil. So I continue to gently smooth back his hair. It’s the first time I voluntarily touched him since the last arena.
“You’re still trying to protect me. Real or not real,” he whispers.
“Real,” I answer. It seems to require more explanation. “Because that’s what you and I do. Protect each other.”

- Mockingjay
"...I don't want you forgetting how different our circumstances are. If you die, and I live, there's no life for me at all back in District Twelve. You're my whole life." Peeta says. "I would never be happy again. It's different for you. I'm not saying it wouldn't be hard. But there are other people who'd make your life worth living."

"No one really needs me," he says, and there's no self-pity in his voice. It's true his family doesn't need him. They will mourn him, as will a handful of friends. But they will get on.... I realise only one person will be damaged beyond repair if Peeta dies. Me.

"I do," I say. "I need you."
- Catching Fire


Honorable mention: Argus Filch and Madam Pince from the Harry Potter series. Come on, we all know something was going ont here!

And from the book where love is a disease, comes some great quotes in favour of love.

Delirium by Lauren Oliver 

And now I know why they invented words for love, why they had to: It's the only thing that can come close to describing what I feel in that moment, the baffling mixture of pain and pleasure and fear and joy, all running sharply through me at once.
Love: a single word, a wispy thing, a word no bigger or longer than an edge. That's what it is: an edge; a razor. It draws up through the center of your life, cutting everything in two. Before and after. The rest of the wrold falls away on either side
We stand there for a moment, looking at each other, and in that instant I feel our connection so strongly it's as though it achieves physical existence, becomes a hand all around us, cupping us together, protecting us. This is what people are always talking about when they talk about God: this feeling, of being held and understood and protected. Feeling this way seems about as close to saying a prayer as you could get...

So who are some of your favouite YA couples? Any memorable quotes? Hope everyone has a lovely Valentine's Day, regardless of whether you have someone special to share it with. We have books and fictional men/women to make us swoon, 'tis all the inner bookworm needs ;)

6 comments:

  1. Oh dear, what a cute idea for a post! And that really does it for me, I simply must get my hands on the Vampire Academy series! I can't for the life of me understand why I haven't read them yet. I have way too many favourite couples to name them all here, but I'll list a couple. Meliara and Vidanric from Crown Duel, Gemma and Kartick from A Great and Terrible Beauty, Kaye and Roiben from Tithe, & Argul and Claidi from the Wolf Tower series. I'm swooning just thinking about them all! Happy Valentines Day, Brodie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many great quotes! I especially have to give you a big high five for including Adrian and Rose. I LOVED them together!

    When it comes down to it, my favorite YA couple is Edward and Bella. I read the first book almost five years ago and what can I say? They still have a big pull on me.

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You haven't read the Vampire Academy series yet, Lilly?! GO! NOW! READ! I so want to hear your thoughts whenever you get around to them, it's one of my favourite series <3 Great couples! I still have to read the last book in the Gemma Doyle trilogy.

    Me too, Stephanie! While I was always for a Rose/Dimitri ending, I absolutely loved Adrian and really enjoyed his relationship with Rose. So conflicted with that triangle :/ I say we leave Dimitri for Rose and take Adrian ourselves ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, so I know this post is really old but I just stumbled upon it and it is LOVELY! I skipped the VA quotes because as you know, I suck, but the HP and THG ones made me melt into an ooey gooey puddle. I LOVE Ron and Hermione's insulting yet protective relationship, that last quote you chose is PERFECT. And Peeta's "Real or not real?" is breaking my heart all over again. I'm forcing myself to wait to reread the series until closer to the movie release, but I am sooooo looking forward to it. God I love those books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG.

    OK... so maybe I'm still stalking your blog, but I cam across this completely by random and ROZA AND DIMKA *fans self*

    "You're strong-you're so, so strong. It's why I love you." *happy sigh heart flip*

    "Wait until next time. I'll do things that'll make you lose control within seconds." Err... I actually think I'm blushing O____O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaahaha! And the little dude looks like a baby Voldemort!! BTW, I saw some CREEPY pictures of baby Voldies while looking for 'Sexy Voldemort' hehehehe! I can just imagine people stumbling across this in the future while google 'Sexy Voldemort' trolololololol XD

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates