Sunday, February 6, 2011

Review: Delirium


Author: Lauren Oliver
Release Date: Already on shelves
Publisher: Hachette Australia

Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.


You've seen the buzz surrounding this novel. You've witnessed the countless number of readers fall victim to amor deliria nervosa - the disease of love - after reading this. They caught the deliria for Delirium and let me tell you, there is NOTHING diseased or vile or dirty about loving this book.

I don't even know where to begin. Do I start with the engaging writing? The beautiful characters? The breathtaking story that opens it's buds and blossoms into a devastatingly beautiful flower? I guess I'll start with: OMG YOU HAVE TO READ THIS BOOK!!!!

In a world where love is a disease, every person is given the 'cure' on their 18th birthday. Every adult is much happier with the cure. Love is a sickness, it's dirty, it's unnatural, it's extraordinary dangerous. Lena Haloway is counting down the days until her procedure. No more pain. She'll finally be free. She'll be paired with the best possible partner for a harmonious marriage. Have kids. Live a peaceful, structured, normal life.

And then she meets Alex.

Alex shatters every lie the government has told. Love is not the enemy. The relationship between Lena and Alex is nothing short of beautiful. I can't tell you how many times I smiled! I loved everything about this boy right down to his ink stained shoelaces and how he awakens Lena. She didn't even realise how bleak and dead a world without love was before he stole into her heart and now that she's been infected, she sees the the amazing colourful landscape around her and the one beautiful portrait before her eyes whose heart beats in tune with hers - Alex.

The intensity and flawed perfection of these characters and their relationship, you don't doubt for a second that their growing love is pure and untainted and real. To be infected is not a curse, it's a blessing. Love is the very reason to live! Lena starts out as a model citizen, she fully believes that the cure is essential. She obeys the rules and believes in the system and the crap the cureds sprout. She doesn't want to end up like her mother - who Lena does love, but is afraid of becoming infected as she was. Of being driven to crazy extremes in the name of love.

Lena lives with her Aunt Carol and Uncle William and her two cousins, Jenny and Gracie. Basically there are four characters in total I love in this novel. Lena. Alex. Hana. Gracie. That's it. Lena, our wonderful heroine who makes an amazing transformation from good girl who obeys and is too afraid to ever breaks the rules to a defiant rebel in the name of love. Alex, the boy who makes my heart flutter with his courage and honesty and smile and poetry reading and... oh sigh. Hana, Lena's best friend who isn't so much the 'do-gooder' - she wants to live, to listen to music, meet boys, stay out late. Have freedom. She's fun and insanely loyal. And Gracie, who utters not a word. Only to Lena. But she has that spark in her, so much potential, so much life.

It's not just the relationship between Lena and Alex that shines in this novel, but the friendship Lena shares with Hana. They have a deep bond and if they really allowed themselves to think about it and utter those words, love is what is there. Yet it would all be gone once they're both cured. Because the cureds don't love. They don't hold affection. They're indifferent. Memories gone. Laughter, smiles, moments shared together - the past will mean nothing. What a heartbreaking loss, of course not felt after the procedure, but to lose something so precious... how could anyone want that?

Ohmygosh. The ending. She left me crying my eyes out in Before I Fall and had I not been constantly interrupted while finishing this book, I've no doubt the tears would have freely flown. As it was, I did get emotional. I can't believe she left it like that and I can't believe we have to wait until next year for the sequel. I guess that right there is one of the dangers of love. It wraps it's tendrils around your heart until you're so far fallen that no other book can possibly live up to this one and then those tendrils grows thorns. And they puncture, puncture, puncture until you're making a bloody mess on the new carpet and bam. Gone. Disappeared. And your poor heart is left  with only the shadow of an embrace and oh such sadness. That's what she did. Made me love the book, broke my heart and then nothing. No more pages, it's over. But oh it was still so good!

What truly makes this novel is the way Lauren Oliver uses her words - she strokes each word so delicately across the canvas and follows it by another stroke, then another, and another and in the end she creates a piece of art so compelling and full of emotion -  it's the sky and the ocean and the stars and the air and everything that makes life so special wrapped up in 440 pages.

If you haven't read this book, drop whatever you're doing and run to the nearest bookstore. I don't care if they're closed - smash a window. I don't care if they're out of stock - threaten to tear apart every other book in the store until they have a new shipment in. Just get your hands on a copy NOW.

And if you plan on kidnapping Lauren Oliver and holding her captive while you extract her brain to sit in glass display cabinet for you to admire it's sheer perfection - back off, I already called dibs!!

Rating: VOID. 
Delirium stomped all over those measly 5 stars and danced on their grave while flapping it's pretty blue cover and shouting to the heavens 'I AM TOO AWESOME FOR A MERE 5 STAR RATING. I'M A GOD!" It might be my blog, but I'm too weak to argue with such a bold statement.

9 comments:

  1. Love your review! It's awesome when a reader is so passionate about a book. I have to read this book NOW! And hands off Lauren Oliver's brain, as I want her to write many, many more awesome stories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Alexia I love you review too! Intense and enthusiastic! :) And aww man. You made me want to read this too. I can't find a copy yet! And I know it's going to be awesome. Lauren is an amazing writer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, I love that rating! And totally agree! I can't believe we have to wait a year for the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I haven't the time to read at the moment but as soon as I do this is going to be right at the top of my list! I really can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brodie! An Award for you: http://shusky20.blogspot.com/2011/02/blog-award-irresistibly-sweet-award.html

    You deserve it, girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi i've just discovered your blog :) i'm your new follower !

    I can't wait to read this book !!! I've pre ordered a copy two months ago but I still haven't receive it :( (I live in France) hurry up Amazon :p !

    ReplyDelete
  7. And thanks for entering my giveaway :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, this is so awesome. :) I love how passionate you are about this book. I've had a couple of people to tell me to drop what I've been reading and just read this. But I'm not sure I want to get into that intense-like-love for an author yet! I mean, I'm going to read it, that's for sure, but yknow me with hype... Not a fan. =x Anyway, awesome review, my dear Brodie! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice :D Great review, Brodie :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates