Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Review: Forgotten

Author: Cat Patrick
Release Date: June 6 2011
Publisher: Hardie Grant Australia / Egmont UK
Thanks to: The amazing Jennifer of Hardie Grant Australia for blessing me with a copy of this beautiful book!
Each night when 16 year-old London Lane goes to sleep, her whole world disappears. In the morning, all that's left is a note telling her about a day she can't remember. The whole scenario doesn't exactly make high school or dating that hot guy whose name she can't seem to recall any easier. But when London starts experiencing disturbing visions she can't make sense of, she realizes it's time to learn a little more about the past she keeps forgetting-before it destroys her future.

Part psychological drama, part romance, and part mystery, this thought-provoking novel will inspire readers to consider the what-if's in their own lives and recognize the power they have to control their destinies.


London Lane remembers her future the same way we remember our past. And while the average person doesn't 'remember' their future, London doesn't remember her past.  Her memories are of the  future, but the moment they become the past, they're forgotten. At precisely 4:33am every morning she forgets the day she's just lived and awakens with only what she sees of the future and her daily notes on what's happened in her life. She has to remind herself of the clothes she wore yesterday, the conversations she had, what she needs to do for school, why she's angry at certain people and to remind herself to stay angry at certain people.

She soon meets the new guy in school, Luke Henry. There's an instant attraction, he's gorgeous and seems like such a genuinely sweet boy. But although there is something vaguely familiar about him, she doesn't see him in any of her future memories. So as much as she'd love the idea of seeing and talking to him again, she doesn't torture herself by dwelling on what she knows will never come. Until it does. She talks to him again the next day. And the next. And the next. Luke Henry is very much a part of her future, he becomes an incredibly important part but she still can't remember him.  Which means every day she must read her notes growing notes on this wonderful boy and meet him all over again. All the while keeping up the facade that she 'does' remember him - since only two people in her life know of her condition.

Not long after Luke comes into her life, London begins seeing a new memory. A nightmarish memory that is not fully revealing itself to her, which makes it all the more terrifying. What begins to unravel is a mystery that will make you question the past, present and future. I was shocked when things were unravelled toward the end! 

To me, London's condition is heartbreaking. To have these 'future memories' of days, months, years to come and know they're only temporary in your mind - the moment you actually live in them, the dreaded 4:33am curse comes around and                       nothing. Just words; ink and paper reminders of what once was. I still can't shake that devastating idea from my head. I sat there thinking about all the moments from my own past, all those precious memories that would be nothing but a summary on a note. You only see your parents and friends and loved ones as their future selves - never remembering the dorky stages and the beautiful years of growth from childhood. Not only that, but Forgotten really works your mind over with the idea of knowing the future - how much do you reveal? Is it right to intervene when you know something bad is going to happen to a friend? Is the future really set in stone?

Two words I have been dying to exclaim in caps lock: LUKE HENRY!! Oh my gosh. That boy is officially in my top 5 list of favourite fictional males ever. Make that top 3. He is the sweetest thing ever! From his weird, yet adorable object of interest for his artwork to his all chocolate brown Converse All Stars . I kid you not, I hugged this book tight to my chest. I had a dorky grin on my face and I'm the kind of person who starts giggling to myself when something makes me insanely happy and giggle I did. Where can I buy me a Luke Henry?! He's funny, sweet, loyal, romantic, gorgeous, quirky and just so... so... I just love him.  And if I didn't also love and admire London so much, I would have stole every note of him she ever wrote and claiming him for myself, but the thought of erasing Luke Henry from anyone's mind is horrifying. Alright, I'll stop gushing now......... fine, I'm totally lying. Just let me have one more minute in heaven: LUKE! squeesighswoon <3

*spends the next 15 minutes composing myself*

Ahem.

Forgotten is an incredible debut novel. It's a romance that will set your heart aflutter, a mystery that will leave you clutching the pages for answers and a chain of events and emotions that will force you to question your own past and future. It will burrow it's way into your heart and leave you feeling such an emotional attachment to the amazing characters and uniquely sad, yet beautiful, thought-provoking storyline. I literally began rereading this just hours after I finished because I didn't want to leave the astonishing world born of this talented author's mind. Despite it's name, this is one novel that will not be soon forgotten.

BUY THIS BOOK WHEN IT COMES OUT!!! 
Or I will come for every last one of you.... 
(for legal reasons, I'll claim that's not a threat. But it is. Trust me.)
Rating: 5/5

8 comments:

  1. Sweet review Brodie! I guess I'll be going into this book for the psychological part of it and not...this "Luke" who seems to have destroyed your reality and threw you into fictional heaven full of fictional "boys".

    Suffer in fictional heaven. I'll see you later when Luke is....'forgotten' HAHA!

    Nah jokes. Great review. Honest...and...inconsistent :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the review!! :) You know I'd like it. *nudges* Looks like this is one of your best reads for 2011!! Am I right? :) The romance seems very great! Can't wait to read it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jealous you got to read this. Great review by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Brodie, you're always so enthusiastic LOL. Guess this one's going on my TBR list! I've gotta check out this "funny, sweet, loyal, romantic, gorgeous, quirky" Luke of yours! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I take that back. Looks as if I put this on my TBR list already, just recently. =|

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely review. I love the cover for this book and Luke sounds like a great love interest.
    -Danna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely review, my dear. I obviously need this book in my life. You've got me all giddy and excited now! I'm just so perfectly dreadful at the waiting part, though! *twiddles thumbs*

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates