Saturday, March 12, 2011

Review: Prom and Prejudice

Author: Elizabeth Eulberg
Release Date: Already on shelves
Publisher: Penguin Australia

After winter break, the girls at the very prestigious Longbourn Academy become obsessed with the prom. Lizzie Bennet, who attends Longbourn on a scholarship, isn’t interested in designer dresses and expensive shoes, but her best friend, Jane, might be — especially now that Charles Bingley is back from a semester in London.

Lizzie is happy about her friend’s burgeoning romance but less than impressed by Charles’s friend, Will Darcy, who’s snobby and pretentious. Darcy doesn’t seem to like Lizzie either, but she assumes it’s because her family doesn’t have money. Clearly, Will Darcy is a pompous jerk — so why does Lizzie find herself drawn to him anyway?

Will Lizzie’s pride and Will’s prejudice keep them apart? Or are they a prom couple in the making? Whatever the result, Elizabeth Eulberg, author of The Lonely Hearts Club, has concocted a very funny, completely stylish delight for any season — prom or otherwise.

I'll start off by saying I haven't read any Jane Austen novels. I'd never read Pride and Prejudice nor had I watched the movie or mini-series. I know, I'm living in the Dark Ages! But I'm happy to announce that as soon as I finished reading Prom and Prejudice, I dashed to youtube, watched a trailer for the P&P movie, swooned, and hurried to find a copy of the movie the next day. Which I curled up and devoured.

"You have bewitched me, body and soul, and I love, I love, I love you" - Oh swoon! Seriously, why had I not watched it earlier? Thank you, Elizabeth Eulberg for sparking my interest :)

With that being said, regardless of your knowledge on all things Austen, this book can easily be read and enjoyed by everyone that loves a fun, light, entertaining read that will have you laughing, smiling and kept occupied for a few lazy hours on the weekend. Although I'm sure those who've read Pride and Prejudice will enjoy all the familiar names, faces and places that come to life in  this 21st Century retelling.

99.9% of every student enrolled at Longbourn Academy is thoroughly obsessed with Prom. Their version of prom is not the standard, run-of-the-mill high school experience. We're talking an annual event that graces the covers of magazines like Vogue. If you want to make into high society, you will sport the most expensive, the most lavish, the most amazing dress and hang on the arm of a handsome young man. Prom is life to these girls.

But not Izzie. Elizabeth Bennett has been an outcast at Longbourn the moment she set foot through it's gates as a scholarship student. Oh the scandal of not having money. So obviously she clicks with the only other scholarship student, Charlotte. But her best friend at school - Jane -  comes from money and lacks the prejudice and general uppity attitude of most other students. She's shy and modest and is a genuinely nice girl who doesn't like to say boo about another person. When Jane begins seeing the ever charming Charles Bingley, Izzie comes upon her first meeting of the standoffish, arrogant William Darcy and from there on in their push-and-pull relationship begins. Handsome he may be, but Izzie instantly takes a dislike toward his attitude.

Yes, probably pointless recounting the plot of this novel since most people have read the original. I can only compare this with the movie, but I loved Elizabeth's modern version of the classic. She takes this wonderful story and rewrites in a way that stays true to the themes, events and characters of it's origins yet gives them a fresh new makeover that's instantly relateable to all teens (and heck, all of us that read YA fiction, regardless of age!). The moral lessons of both 'pride' and 'prejudice' linger beneath this funny, sweet, lovely novel that is really a great read for all chick-lit fans. You will be laughing, shaking your head in despair or else cheering on characters as they mess up, make up and learn a lot about each other and life along the way.

I loved Elizabeth's debut novel,  The Lonely Hearts Club, and once again she has shown her talent at crafting an immensely entertaining novel with heart, humour and sweet romance. I look forward to whatever she has in store for readers next!

Rating: 4/5

6 comments:

  1. thanks for the review. I didn't think I wanted to read the book until I read your review!

    Somer @ A Bird's Eye Review

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every review I read for this book only makes me want it more - yours is no exception. I think I need to go ahead and get it already. Thanks for your thoughts on it and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the movie adaptation! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. You haven't read Jane Austen? Le gasp! Lol. But seriously, you should give JA a chance at least once in your life!

    Then again, I haven't read this book or The Lonely Hearts Club! Lol. But I'm glad that you enjoyed it, and that you finally got to watch Pride and Prejudice the movie! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any of her books yet, but I plan on reading this one and THE LONELY HEARTS CLUB. They both sound amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved The Lonely Hearts Club, but saw some not-so great reviews of this, so I took it off my list. But if you loved it, I'll have to try again b/c I think we have very similar interests in books! I've just commented on so many entries I've enjoyed..."I'm about to become your newest follower <3

    Which P&P movie did you watch? It's long, but I prefer the version with Colin Firth because--um, did I mention that Colin Firth is in it? Plus, it's the most accurate. Beautiful version!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your awesome comments! :)

    @A Backwards Story - Aww you totally rock, you know that? I'm going to stalk your blog now too! Haha sadly I didn't watch the Colin Firth version, but the one with Kiera Knightly. But I'm definitely going to have to check out the other version now! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates