Friday, May 27, 2011

Armchair BEA Day 5: Blogging about Blogging


Ah, and ArmchairBEA is coming to a close already! It's been a fun week. I've come across some amazing new bloggers who I'm very excited to read more of and hopefully befriend their crazy awesome selves. All those lucky people may have attended BEA in person and snagged dozens of ridiculously lustworthy books and met so many great people face-to-face, but I've had a fantastic time celebrating from the comfort of my 'armchair'. I can't wait to do it again next year! Thanks to everyone for stopping by my blog - I love all my followers, both old and new! Don't forget to enter my Armchair BEA Giveaway which will be running through the weekend for your chance to win an ARC of Anna Dressed In Blood and signed copies of Firelight and The Unwritten Rule.

And now onto today's topic: Blogging about Blogging!

I hardly feel qualified to give my own blogging advice.  I'm still very much in the learning phases, but I'll share a few tips that I've found useful for myself.

  • Don't feel obligated  to post every day or stress about how many reviews you write in a week. Blogging shouldn't be a chore nor should it be something you compare yourself with against others. It's expressing your opinion about what you love and you should do that in whatever way suits YOU best. Who cares if someone has more followers than you? Sure doesn't diminish your appeal. I think you're pretty darn awesome, thank you very much. It's all about quality, not quantity!
  • Negative reviews aren't taboo, but they do require respect. I don't for a second believe anyone should lie about liking a book when they hated it, but it's one thing to respectfully describe what you didn't like and another to completely bash the author and their writing. I appreciate when a blogger is honest and isn't afraid to say "This just wasn't for me." and give valid reasons. But I have seen people be really hateful and vicious toward an author, which is completely uncalled for. They're people with feelings too. There's books I don't like, but I respect the author for having the determination to write the story they want and get it out there. So always be honest, but don't be hateful
  • Participating in meme's and blog hops is a fantastic way to get your blog out there and find new blogs to follow. Follow Friday hosted by Parajunkee's View, Book Blogger Hop hosted by Crazy-For-Books and TGIF hosted by GReads are all excellent weekly meme's where they pose a question to bloggers to answer and then use the linky to hop to everyone elses posts. New followers, new friends!
  • And as I mentioned in yesterdays posts, both Twitter and Goodreads are great for getting your blog out there and connecting with readers, bloggers, authors, publishers, etc. Goodreads allows others a taste of your insanely talented reviewing skills which may prompt them to come over and see your little bookish corner of the web and Twitter just plainly rocks. Instant updates from the coolest minds on the net, connect with people by a simple "@" and heck, I probably end up clicking on nearly as many posts through twitter as I do on my scarily large pile of unread posts in Google Reader.

I hope some of that is useful to someone and the links I provided are really great tools that I can personally vouch for. Just do whatever works for you -  put love and effort and a sprinkling of fairy dust on your posts and you'll have the best blog on the street.

7 comments:

  1. I agree with everything that you said! Especially the one about negative reviews. :) Better to mention the good and bad parts and let the readers decide. Love this post! So truthful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second what Precious said. I do post negative reviews but I always try to include my thoughts on who might actually like the book. If you liked this you might like that. I don't want to put someone off of reading a book just because I didn't like it.

    To blog well you need to know: your topic, your audience and your voice. Come learn more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh good, thanks for reminding me about the comment exchange program at YA Addict. I've been trying to get to it lately, but I forgot which blog hosted it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good points! I agree that negative reviews should be possible, and that they have to be respectful.

    In fact, if a blogger only gushes about books, would you still believe them? I don't mind if someone is a bit critical in their writing and for an author, publicity is always good, if you didn't like the book, maybe someone else will, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only really started using my Goodreads account recently. I love browsing through other people's shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm definitely going to check out the Comment Exchange, thanks for the suggestion! Also, while I've only ever done one bad review, its always nice to be reminded that it is okay to respectfully dislike a book. I recently came across a review on GoodReads that was brutal, and made personal attacks against an author, and it was really off-putting.

    Dropping in via Armchair BEA and am a new follower. Your blog is gorgeous! I love the header. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great advice. When I read something I didn't care for, I try and give valid reasons as to why it wasn't for me. I respect bloggers that give an honest review because it helps me decide if I want to read it or not. I may be on the fence and a review will sway me one way or the other.

    I do like memes, but I don't participate in many. Maybe one per week if that. I do like the comment exchange and that's fun and a great way to find new blogs and bloggers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates