Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Review: Raising Demons (Hex Hall #2)

Author: Rachel Hawkins
Release Date: Already gracing shelves
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Add it: Goodreads
Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch.

That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (aka witches, shapeshifters, and fairies). But that was before she discovered the family secret, and that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth. 


Turns out, Sophie’s a demon, one of only two in the world—the other being her father. What’s worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will destroy her powers.

But once Sophie arrives she makes a shocking discovery. Her new friends? They’re demons too. Meaning someone is raising them in secret with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they’re using Archer to do it. But it’s not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?
 
Otherwise known as Demonglass in the US! 

First off, I have to say that Sophie is honestly one of my favourite book heroines. I love her sarcastic personality. She's so funny and easy to relate to. She's not a weak, shy, "let me strike my damsel in distress pose while I wait for the hot guy to come rescue me' - this girl can hold her own.

I love all the twists and turns and magic. We see Sophie begin to possibly embrace her demon side in this sequel. She was all set to have the Removal done after what transpired at the end of Hex Hall, but then in walks her father and zips her off to London (along with Cal and her vampy best friend, Jenna) where not only does she begin to learn more about her demon side, but develop a relationship with her previously absent father. They grow to have this really nice relationship that was entertaining to read. Her father begins training her and giving Sophie the opportunity to see she can gain some control over her powers and that she just might not be the monster she dreaded she'd become with them.

Oh Rachel, must you split my poor heart in two? We see Cal developed more in this novel. He plays a bigger role than he did in Hex Hall and one that directly plays havoc on Sophie's love life. As if she didn't need more drama to complicate things in that area. I loved Cal and the contrast he brought - he was so sweet and you can see something wonderful simmering behind that quiet demeanour, but then Archer comes back into play. Sigh. As much as I warmed to Cal, Archer just has a way of stealing the scene whenever he's in it. I'm down with the bad boys. I love the good guys but damn, a bad boy with that forbidden, tempting allure yet still manages to give off the 'sweet' vibe? There's no use fighting it. I'm totally stuck in his web of seduction. And while I enjoyed watching the progress between Cal and Sophie, I really hope she does end up with Archer in the end. I think she will. They have such great chemistry - but please don't break Cal's heart too badly!

Oh man, cliffhanger ending! I was warned of this. Practically every review I read moaned and groaned about the ending (in a good way) and here I am sharing my own moan and groan with you all - damn you, cliffhangers! The ending especially had me totally glued to the pages and when that final page came all too soon, I was not a happy camper given the knowledge we have to wait until next year for book 3! It leaves you wanting more, more, more.

Raising Demos is a fast paced novel that will have laughing, gasping and so dangerously entangled in the wonderful web of magic, lies and romance. Once I got started, I could barely put the book down. The writing is so addictive and every chapter leaves you wanting 'oh just one more... maybe two... three won't hurt me, will it?' and before you know it, you're fininished. I'm so excited to see what's going to happen next for our characters and to dive back into Sophie's crazy-awesome mind!

Rating: 5/5

11 comments:

  1. Looking forward to this one! I have Hex Hall #1 and only recently started reading it. I like it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing how the title is completely different for you! Was the first one called something different? The covers remind me a bit of the covers for the CHARMED TV novels, lol!

    UGH, that cliffhanger! *moans and groans with you*

    I'm so glad you enjoyed this, Brodie! I loved reading your review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED this book! Of course my book is called DEMONGLASS instead of Raising Demons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read this series yet but I've wanted to! Your review makes it sound great, and I love a witty sarcastic heroine. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Sophie as a character!!! She is soooo funny! And the cliffie!!! Ohmygawd! This is one of my fav series! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have't read Hex Hall yet. Shame on me! Everyone seems to love it tough so I'll read it soon :)

    I'm kinda confused though. Is the second one Raising Demons or Demonglass? The goodreads link takes us to Demonglass but your review is titled Raising Demons!

    Either way, your review has me even more convinced that I need to read these books! Because Archer...well, he sounds like my type of guy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad I'm not the only one tormented over that cliffhanger!!

    Honey - The second book is called Demonglass in the US and Raising Demons in Australia and the UK. Same book, just different names and covers. And YES! Read this series!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you loved this one, too! This has quickly become one of my favorite series and I can't wait for book three!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love fast paced novels, especially ones that give me a few chuckles. I wouldn've come by and commented anyway, but I saw your link on the comment exchange at YA Addict. So I had to stop by sooner. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad someone else picked up the different names for the book in Australian. I was going a little insane trying to figure out if it was the same book. Definitely worth the confusion though. Absolutely loved the book and the fact that Sophie is 100% "fluent in sarcasm".

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates