Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Harry Potter Week: A Cauldron Full Of Hot Strong Love

"Oh come and stir my cauldron,
And if you do it right,
I'll boil you up some hot strong love
To keep you warm tonight."
- A Cauldron Full of Hot Strong Love by Celestina Warbeck.
Love is, without a doubt, the driving force within the Harry Potter series. Love between family, friends, mentors. It's what started it all - a mother's sacrifice to save her only son. We've witnessed the budding love between friends, first kisses, the bitter taste of jealousy, hearts torn apart from the grief of losing those they loved.

What is Love?

It's Lily Potter sacrificing her own life so her baby boy would survive.

It's kind, fussy Molly Weasley, whose love and bravery drove her to kill one of the most skilled and dangerous dark witches, because she was faced with the horror of losing a second child that tragic night.

It's Narcissa Malfoy betraying Voldemort so she could go see if her son was safe.

It's Severus Snape, who, despite his hatred of James Potter, has continually put his life in danger again and again playing spy and helping keep Harry alive, so that the love of his life did not die in vain.

It's Neville Longbottom, who kept that gum wrapper his mother gave him at St. Mungo's.

It's Rubeus Hagrid, who will coo at the sight of a dragon and find beauty in a Flobberworm.

It's newly weds Lupin and Tonks, who will never see their baby boy grow up, because they died fighting for a better world for him to live in.

It's Dobby, the brave and free House-Elf, who no longer held ties to any wizard, but came every single time Harry Potter needed help.

It's Gildeory Lockhart, whose love for himself could possibly rival them all.

There are so many different threads of love throughout this books, each one tugs on your heartstrings and proves again and again that Voldemort really had no idea.

"Is it love again?" said Voldemort, his snake's face jeering. "Dumbledore's favorite solution, love, which he claimed conquered death, though love did not stop him falling from the tower and breaking like an old waxwork? Love, which did not prevent me from stamping out your Mudblood mother like a cockroach, Potter – and nobody seems to love you enough to run forward this time and take my curse. So what will stop you from dying now when I strike?"

My most favourite is the man who rounds up the trio of 'abandoned boys' - Snape. His journey is so incredibly touching and tragic. And it was love that saved him. Not reciprocal love, because while Lily once considered him a best friend, she never loved him in return. But his love for her was powerful enough to make him turn against Voldemort. How I wish Snape could have had his 'in your face!' moment of triumph with Voldemort. But at least Harry gave him that much during the pre I-kill-you-Voldemort chat.

Hands down, one of my absolute favourite fictional pairings is Ron and Hermione. When I was a bright-eyed little 11 year old discovering the magic of Harry Potter for the first time, I never considered the possibility these two complete polar-opposite, bicking kids would end up married some day. But when they finally, finally had that amazing kiss in Deathly Hallows.... WHO DID NOT WHOOP AND CHEER?! It was just so sudden and natural and real and amazing. Their relationship is one of the most well crafted I've ever read in a book.

I'll leave you to relive two monumental first kisses of the series. Harry, Ron and Hermione have kindly offered to tune in again via radio to add their commentary.

Harry: Let's relieve the end of the Sectumsepra chapter in Half Blood Prince.
Ron: What's so great about that?
Hermione: Oh, I'd wager a guess Harry's a little excited for a certain post-Quidditch match celebration...
Harry: [clears throat] Good game, good game.
Hermione: You never even saw it, you were on detention, remember?
Harry: Er... right. Still, 450 to 140, brilliant score.
Ron: Oh! That was one of my best games. I was on fire. Remember when I had to use the Sloth Grip Roll to avoid that bludger, Hermione? But ended up saving a goal instead? It was amazing!
Hermione: Yes, you were brilliant, Ron. But I think Ginny ended up enjoying the day more than you.
Ron: Why?
Harry: Ron, you should go put on a pot of tea. Hermione and I can handle this one.
Ron: No way! The listeners will want a play-by-play analysis from the star of the game. Can't say no to my fans.
Hermione: I agree with Ron, he should definitely stay. [softly giggles]
Harry: Hermione!

credit: amazing fanart is by the incredibly talented young witch, mudblood42
Ron: What in the name of Merlin's saggy left....
Harry: Now that's what I call a kiss.
Ron: You're snogging my damn sister!
Harry: You were fine with it at the time.
Ron: I can't bloody watch this.
Harry: Then shut your eyes.
Hermione: It's the same as Harry watching when we had our first kiss, Ron...
Ron: That's... it's not even... why the hell are we reliving people snogging?
Harry: Be grateful we're not showing my birthday kiss...

Hermione: We aren't reliving 'all' kisses from the series... are we?
Ron: Harry's had his turn, it's mine now.
Hermione: Is this really necessary?

credit:  this awe-inspiring piece is lovingly crafted by witch, maria_abagnale
Ron: Wicked! This is like an out-of-body experience. [pause] I'm really good at this, aren't I?
Hermione: Oh my god. This is mortifying! Must we really?
Harry: You really went for it, didn't you, Hermione? [laughs] Ow! What'd you hit me for?
Ron: See my enthusiasm? And hand placement? See, Harry? And look how I responded just here? Told you that book I got for your birthday was helpful. 12 Fail Safe Ways to Charm Witches. Bloody brilliant.
Harry: And here I thought my nightmares were over once I killed Voldemort.
Ron: You were there for the original version. Collectors edition screening, mate.
Harry: Once was bad enough, twice is just begging for a bludger to the head.
Voldemort: Harrrrry Poooottttttter [hisses]
Harry: Oh god, you again.
Ron: Bastard. This is the second time you've been responsible for cutting short our kiss!
Harry: Ron, stop trying to strangle the radio, he can't feel it.
Hermione: I can't believe Voldemort just witnessed our first kiss.
Krum: Vy is mine and Herm-own-ninny's kiss not here?
Hermione: Viktor?!
Harry: Stop kicking the radio, Ron.

What are some of your favourite acts of love throughout the series? Did you ship any canon or non-canon pairings? (Who didn't think there was something going on with Filch, Madam Pince and the Restricted Section?). Share your love in the comments!

And then stop by the blogs of my co-host witches to see what they posted today:
Liz at Planet Print
Honey at Sniff Books, Not Drugs
Sonia at The Story Queen

9 comments:

  1. Ron. He's hilarious. He's easily the funniest character and you got him spot on :P. When he watched Harry and Ginny! And poor Hermione, she got so embarrassed. I love that quote from Voldemort because he thinks he's won but really he's just showing his weakness. And YES. There was DEFINITELY something going on with Filch and Pince....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It cracked me up when you were listing the examples of love, then mentioned Lockhart. I probably wouldn't have thought of it, but great point and great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you chose to write about LOVE for this post. I completely agree when you say it's the driving force behind the series (Go Lockhart!).

    I wish Snape could have had that moment with Voldy but I guess it wouldn't really fit in to the story. *sigh*

    I love Ron ;D Harry could really learn something from him... That technique! Clearly Ron knows what he's doing and shouldn't be messed with.

    Awesome post!

    Filch + Pince = TRUE LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, lovely post! Love was such a powerful theme in the books. I like that you mention Lockhart's love for himself as possibly rivalling all the other loves, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know how to comment so I'm just trying but I actually hope you'll see this comment.
    I found your blog by accident but now I visit it every day... you're so good! And you write such amazing things in your posts! And you should know that I love Harry Potter too, so I find it difficoult to dislike your post!
    Well, that's all :)
    PS: I'm an italian girl, so I hope my comment has no mistakes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwww, thank you so much, Anonymous!! Reading your comment has made my entire day. You definitely brought a smile to my face! :)

    I'm so happy your love of Harry Potter is what helped you discover my blog, because I am such a HUGE Potter fangirl. So crazy excited for the release of Deathly Hallows 2 on dvd tomorrow!! Time for another 50 rewatches haha.

    Thank you so much for reading <3 Also, I would LOVE to visit Italy someday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy for your happiness, Brodie! So,I'm going to buy the dvd on saturday because where I live we haven't a good dvds shop... that's such frustrating cause I want those dvd!!
    PS: Anonymous' name's Giulia, but I don't know who to get "an account" for comments... and if you go to Italy don't forget to visit Umbria, where I live!
    Kisses to Australia, a place to visit :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates