Monday, July 11, 2011

Harry Potter Week: Into The Pensieve

"I sometimes find, and I am sure you know the feeling, that I simply have too many thoughts and memories crammed into my mind... At these times... I use the Pensieve. One simply siphons the excess thoughts from one's mind, pours them into the basin, and examines them at one's leisure."
- Albus Dumbledore, Order of the Phoenix.


Like Dumbledore, my brain is sometimes overflowing with too many thoughts and memories. There's barely room to swing a kneazle in there. So I thought what better way to start the week than extracting some of those memories and sharing them all with you? Professor Dumbledore was more than happy to allow me use of his pensieve (well, his portrait was...).

I was going to share my favourite memories from the entire series, but soon enough I realised the majority of what I was writing was from Deathly Hallows. Fitting, I guess, since this is the week for it to shine, not to mention it's probably my favourite book of the series. So here are just some, most certainly not all, of my favourite DH moments.

“Look…at…me…” he whispered.
The green eyes found the black, but after a second, something in the depths of the dark pair seemed to vanish, leaving them fixed, bland, and empty. The hand holding Harry thudded to the floor, and Snape moved no more.

Snape's Death: Who didn't cry? Even if you thought Snape was an a-hole (because lets face it - yes he was protecting Harry all along, but no, he was never nice to him), once you learned his story, no matter how you felt about him, your heart broke for the man. It wasn't until my second and third (and the following 167) times I reread the book that I shed tears, since you don't gain the full effect of that moment until you learn the Prince's Tale. But it was devestating and beautiful. The last thing Snape ever saw were Lily's eyes. My heart? Broken.



None of the Death Eaters moved. They were waiting: Everything was waiting. Hagrid was struggling, and Bellatrix was panting, and Harry thought inexplicably of Ginny, and her blazing look, and the feel of her lips on his ---

Voldemort had raised his wand. His head was still tilted to one side, like a curious child, wondering what would happen if he proceeded. Harry looked back into the red eyes, and wanted it to happen now, quickly, while he could still stand, before he lost control, before he betrayed fear ---

He saw the mouth move and a flash of green light, and everything was gone.

The Forest Again - One of the most emotional chapters in the entire series. It was beautifully written. Jo really captured that moment spectacularly. So many truths were finally revealed to Harry and the courage he showed was remarkable. To walk to your own death?  It's different going out there to fight in battle knowing there's a chance you won't survive. But to take that march with the express intent of dying, it's scary. It really highlighted the Gryffindor within in him. When he was reunited with Lily, James, Sirius and Lupin... oh hi, tears, you're back so soon?

"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"
Molly defeats Bellatrix: Need I even comment? There are no words to define what a badass mama this woman is. This scene OWNED. I feel such triumph over the fact that Molly Weasley killed Bellatrix. You don't mess with a Weasley.

"I'll join you when hell freezes over," said Neville. "Dumbledore's Army!" he shouted, and there was an answering cheer from the crowd, whom Voldemort's Silencing Charms seemed unable to hold.

Neville Freaking Longbottom: Two words. BADASS MOFO. A hero if I've ever seen one. His journey throughout the books is one of my favourites. Honestly, who in the world (besides Jo) would ever have thought that bumbling, forgetful 11 year old would become the heroic leader we see him to be in Deathly Hallows? Who stood up to freaking Voldemort when he and his Death Eaters marched back to Hogwarts carrying Harry's body? He proved that had circumstances have been different and Voldemort chosen him to fulfil the prophecy, he would have earned the title of  The Chosen One. When he cuts the head off Nagini, I swear, I'm going to be jumping out of my seat at the theatre - stomping, clapping, hooting and yelling what a badass this guy is. I AM SO PROUD OF YOU, NEVILLE.


Harry placed the elf into the grave, arranged his tiny limbs so that he might have been resting, then climbed out and gazed for the last time upon the little body. He forced himself not to break down as he remembered Dumbledore’s funeral, and the rows and rows of golden chairs, and the Minister of Magic in the front row, the recitation of Dumbledore’s achievements, the stateliness of the white marble tomb. He felt that Dobby deserved just as grand a funeral, and yet here the elf lay between bushes in a roughly dug hole.

Dobby's Burial: I don't think I have ever sobbed so much reading a death in a book. And not just once, but every single time I reread Deathly Hallows and come to this entire scene, I'm a mess. It's not so much the moment that he died, but what followed. The burial and the emotional grief Harry goes through in those next pages and when Harry, Ron and Dean gave him some of their clothes -  the socks, the jacket, the woollen hat. Clothes, which Dobby revelled in. Clothes, which set him free. Clothes, something so common and everyday to us, but filled this little house elf with such joy, because they gave him freedom. His was a beautiful and tragic journey. His pain and his torment, and the sheer joy and happiness he took from life, which he spread to all. And no matter how terrified, he always remained brave. Dobby is a true Gryffindor, through and through.


I can't take the tears anymore. There's going to be too many this week after we've all seen Deathly Hallows Part 2. There are so many beautiful, touching, saddening, amazing moments in Deathly Hallows and throughout the entire series. I could go on listing them forever. But I think it's time to lighten the mood! I'll leave you with one of the more funnier moments from the book:

"But before [Uncle Bilius] went loopy he was the life and soul of the party,” said Fred. “He used to down an entire bottle of firewhisky, then run onto the dance floor, hoist up his robes, and start pulling bunches of flowers out of his—“
“Yes, he sounds a real charmer,” said Hermione, while Harry roared with laughter.
"Never married, for some reason,” said Ron.
"You amaze me," said Hermione.
***
And perhaps my all time favourite:
"Perhaps one more, Master Harry, for luck?"
Kreacher, I love you.

Now I want you all to pour some of your own memories in the pensieve. What were your favourite moments from Deathly Hallows or the series as whole? Funny, sad, touching, inspiring, kickass, whatever they may be, come relive them with us!

And then stop by my co-witches blogs to see what they posted today!
Liz at Planet Print
Honey at Sniff Books, Not Drugs
Sonia at The Story Queen

7 comments:

  1. You sure did pick the best of the best to talk about :)

    I know this isn't in the 7th book (good thing too - enough people die there) but Sirius' death hammered my heart into a million little pieces. Harry's thoughts afterward - I just wanted to hug him and strangle Voldemort and lock Fudge and Umbridge in high towers ALL AT THE SAME TIME. Heart = broken.

    I loved the scene where Neville cuts off Nagini's head :D I think it's like my absolute favourite 'cause it's like "HAHAHA. NOT SUCH A PATHETIC WIMP ANYMORE, HUH WORLD?" I always knew you could do it, Neville <3 Watching him grow throughout the series was fantastic.

    I'm not even going to say anything about Dobby because, frankly, I've cried enough this week already and I need to save my tears for Wednesday. DOBBY <3

    Awesome post as usual, Brodie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neville. Completely agree with you there, he is just TOO awesome! The transition for book 1 to book 7 - he changes the most. That poster of him...<3. And Dobby...I loved Dobby. The only house-elf who ever wanted to be free! The burial made me cry like a baby too. And gotta love Peeves. I loved him in the fifth book when he basically tried to screw up Umbdridge's life :P/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE these scenes! Oh my gosh you have me in tears. Every time I see that Molly Weasley quote I lose it. I'm going to be a mess in the theater when I see this movie. Oooh, I just want to drop everything and reread DH now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO many awesome scenes to look forward to in the movie. The whole Snape/Lily thing kills me. I am going to be crying during the movie. I love when Neville shows everyone what a bad ass he is. Totally cheering/screaming/dancing around moment for sure. I can't wait to see what else you ladies have in store for us this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man. Every single scene you mentioned in this post tore at my heart. THE PAIN, IT NEVER ENDS!

    My favourite scene from the entire series is from the beginning of the series, when the troll is attacking Hermione and Harry and Ron come to save her. It marks the beginning of the strongest friendship I've ever known! But honestly, saying I have a favourite scene is deceiving because every single scene in the book is moving and touching. I love all of them, no matter how small!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome post! All your favourite scenes are MY favourite scenes from DH! Especially Molly's scene! Even though I adored Bellatrix's character . . . but since she met her 'end' thanks to a Weasley . . . I couldn't resist but loving this scene more! Who would've thought? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sonia: Oh my gosh, yes. Sirius' death! As if I didn't have reason enough to hate Bellatrix after what she did to Neville's parents - she goes and kills Sirius. Then Dobby :( Harry smashing Dumbledore's things in his office afterward from the grief and anger and... *sniff*

    I think we all agree that Neville is freaking awesome. I love all those lists on the internet that use Neville Longbottom instead of Chuck Norris!

    Yes, Honey!! That scene is so, so important and monumental. Who would have thought we'd one day be saying how over the moon happy we are for the day a troll attacked Hermione LOL.

    Erin: I have a love/hate relationship with Bellatrix. I love her because she's such a brilliant, psychotic villain, but I hate her for what she's done. I love Mrs. Weasley SO HARD :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates