Friday, August 26, 2011

Review: All These Things I've Done

Author: Gabrielle Zevin
Release Date: September 1st 2011
Publisher: Pan Macmillan
Add it: Goodreads
In 2083, chocolate and coffee are illegal, paper is hard to find, water is carefully rationed, and New York City is rife with crime and poverty. And yet, for Anya Balanchine, the sixteen-year-old daughter of the city's most notorious (and dead) crime boss, life is fairly routine. It consists of going to school, taking care of her siblings and her dying grandmother, trying to avoid falling in love with the new assistant D.A.'s son, and avoiding her loser ex-boyfriend. That is until her ex is accidentally poisoned by the chocolate her family manufactures and the police think she's to blame. Suddenly, Anya finds herself thrust unwillingly into the spotlight--at school, in the news, and most importantly, within her mafia family.
Anya is a very likable, level-headed character. She's got a strong self of will and a good head on her shoulders. She has to, given the fact that she's had to take on the role of mother hen in her family. Both her parents are dead - her father murdered and her mother killed in an accident intended for her father. An accident which left older brother Leo with an intellectual disability. So Anya has a responsibility to not only look after Leo, who despite his limitations, is deeply loyal to his family and such a sweet boy, but her bright and endearing little sister Natty and their dying grandma. Oh and did I mention her father was a criminal who headed the black market trade for illegal Balanchine chocolate? Yeah, playing mother to her siblings is hard enough, doing so in a mafia family is even harder. She's certainly not your average 16 year old.

So being accused of attempted murder and the following whirlwind of events and impossible choices that follow don't seem all that unlikely given the world she lives in. Especially the complications that come attached with falling in love with the son of the new District Attorney. The DA doesn't exactly approve of his son dating the daughter of a crime lord, deceased or not. Goodwin (better known as Win) was a worthy love interest and I really liked how the relationship slowly formed between the pair. Anya is not the kind of girl to go all swoony over a guy. She's very cautious and logical. But a 16 year old shouldn't have to wonder whether having a boyfriend will put her family in danger. The impossibility of ever allowing herself to divulge in life's pleasures, be a normal teen, does make it easy to sympathise. Yet she's not the self-pitying, weepy kind of girl. Her personality made for a refreshing narration.

Zevin weaves the dystopia element in very realistically. Resources are growing more and more scarce, everything requires vouchers or permits. Even sending an email, you have to pay postage. Go into any store. Look around your home. Anywhere. Everywhere. There is just so much STUFF in our lives. Things for the sake of things, hardly necessities or vital to our survival. We're such gluttons and it's easy to imagine a world like this in our future, where rules and regulations need to be put in place to preserve dwindling resources. And with such laws, of course, will come black market trades. Just like Anya's family dealing in the chocolate industry. How many of you chocoholics out there would survive a future with no chocolate? No wonder the Balanchine's do such good trade!

I did wonder why the likes of chocolate were illegal yet alcohol was not only freely available to adults, but even children of any age. It wasn't big enough to deter me from the story, just a minor point that made my brow furrow. Also I have to note, since this is set in the year 2083, the 2011 generation of teen are now elderly and it was amusing to imagine Grandparents using terms like "OMG". Not really something you associate with 80 year olds these days! 

All These Things I've Done is an engaging novel that will sweep you up in a Anya's world of loyalty, love and danger. No choice is easy and without consequence. And no matter how much she tries to distance herself from the business of her father, there is no getting around the fact that she carries the Balanchine name and with it, the responsibilities it demands. Just like a block of chocolate, where you eat a square and find yourself consuming nearly the entire block before you can blink, All These Things I've Done is addicting from the very first bite and you'll find it hard to put it down until you've devoured it all.

4/5 Golden Apples

13 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this one! I really can't imagine a world where chocolate and coffee are illegal, so I'm interested to see how it works in this story! Glad you enjoyed it Brodie, I like that Anya is a likeable character - that always makes book more enjoyable for me. Brilliant review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously WANT TO READ THIS SO BADLY! :) Just the thought of chocolate being illegal makes me shudder with horror. This sounds like it's going to be one of the great dystopians of this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review Brodie! Already preordered this book, so I'm definitely looking forward to reading it! Love the cover even though it reminds me of someone I used to go to school with . . . which is crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome, I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I'm really amused by your comment regarding the older/grandparent generation and the language they use in the book -- very interesting to think about, haha. I'll have read this soon.

    Thanks for the review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. So chocolate is illegal?! I would die. It does sound like a very interesting, thought provoking read though. I can see how the future could become what is described in this novel.

    It made me giggle to think of my grandmother
    saying "OMG"..haha.

    Great review, and I am hoping to get to read this one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does this have a real dystopian feel to it? It sounds as if it is just set in the future. I think it is disappointing that it doesn't explain why chocolate is illegal but the line definitely catches my attention and makes me curious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to read this after that review!! Wicked Gurl!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your review, Brodie! This one is waiting in my TBR pile, begging to be read. I'm glad the plot isn't the only amazing thing in this book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to have a bite of "All these things I've done". It sounds like such a good read :)

    When you mentioned the requirement of vouchers(I'm not sure if it's quite the same, the ones here looked like this) I makes me think of how it was for my grandparents and great grandparents during WWII.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Just like a block of chocolate, where you eat a square and find yourself consuming nearly the entire block before you can blink, All These Things I've Done is addicting from the very first bite and you'll find it hard to put it down until you've devoured it all."

    And that, folks, is why I love Brodie so much. Leave it to her to come up with a creatively accurate way to sum up this wonderful book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoy Gabrielle Zevin's stuff. I liked Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac. Thanks for this review! Love her eyes on the cover.
    -Jenna @ Fans of Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  12. I keep debating on this one. I don't know to pick it up or not lol! But, I really liked your review! :) So Thank you :)

    And PS. Trial By Fire ... hahaha I'm glad I made you excited! It's really good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you enjoyed All These Things I've Done! The cover's so striking; I love both this cover and the US cover. The upsetting thing is that it isn't being released in the UK until April.

    This is my first time to your blog (apart from commenting on IMM earlier) and I have to say, I love the golden apples.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates