Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Review: Hunting Lila

Author: Sarah Alderson
Release Date: AUS September 1st 2011 / UK August 4th 2011
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Add it: Goodreads
17-year-old Lila has two secrets she's prepared to take to the grave. The first is that she can move things just by looking at them. The second is that she's been in love with her brother's best friend, Alex, since forever. Or thereabouts.After a mugging on the streets of South London goes horribly wrong and exposes her unique ability, Lila decides to run to the only people she can trust - her brother and Alex. They live in Southern California where they work for a secret organisation called The Unit, and Lila discovers that the two of them are hunting down the men who murdered her mother five years before. And that they've found them. Trying to uncover the truth of why her mother was killed, and the real remit of The Unit, Lila becomes a pawn in a dangerous game. Struggling to keep her secrets in a world where nothing and no one is quite as they seem, Lila quickly realises that she is not alone - there are others out there just like her - people with special powers -and her mother's killer is one of them...

You know those books that you finish and then instantly want to go back and reread all over again? Hunting Lila is just that and then some! I was hooked from the very first page. It's not often you kick start a story with the protagonist using telekinesis to hold a knife to the tip of someones eye. This book is all kinds of badass. Don't worry though, Lila isn't psycho, she's defending herself from the jerks trying to mug her. That one incident sets in motion Lila's page-turning adventure that will suck you in with it's fantastic action, way cool superpowers and deliciously seductive romance.

Straight after the mugging incident, Lila makes a run for it. She jumps on a plane out of the country and heads to Southern California where her brother, Jack, and his best friend Alex are living. Both boys work for a top secret organisation known as The Unit. There's something mysterious going on with the case they're working on. Surely the constant supervision by stalkery SUV cars and high-tech security system on the house aren't standard? Granted, they work a dangerous job, but Lila senses something more going on here and she's determined to find out what. Mystery, danger, twists, action and superpowers litter the pages and you're left begging for more.

Alex has been her brother's best friend since childhood and Lila's been in love with him for just as long. It's been three years since she last saw him and now suddenly she's thrust herself back into his world and oh, her emotions are so pitch perfect. The war that rages within her mind any time they're close together, she can't control her thoughts when she's around him and it's so much fun to read. She knows she's a lost cause, she accepts it, admits it's bad. But you honestly can't fault her, because hello, have you met the guy? Her feelings are totally justified! I loved the relationship developed at a comfortable pace, you become wrapped up in their budding romance, waiting, waiting, waiting for the moment when Alex will admit to the feelings that surely he reciprocates, right?! You just want a kiss! A declaration of mutual love, a hot steamy scene between the pair! And isn't that what we love? A tantalising romance and Sarah delivers just that.

Hunting Lila was such a refreshing read. The atmosphere, the setting, the romance, the pacing, the characters and the plot... Sarah twisted it all together to form something that felt so new and utterly addictive. I honestly would not have been able to put this book down had I tried. Which I most certainly did not because it kept me on the edge of my seat, wanting to know what would happen next to these characters I grew so invested in and their pulse-racing journey, narrated by such a likable protagonist. Sarah Alderson is officially on my list of favourite authors. I think I'd instantly buy anything new she comes out with. I cannot wait to get my hands on Hunting Lila's sequel and of course, her awesome new series, Fated, which comes out next year! The wait for both of these books is already torturous.

Also: This book seriously needs to be made into a movie. Because I think it would translate ridiculously awesome to the big screen.
5/5 Golden Apples!

13 comments:

  1. This sounds fantastic. It's being put on my TBR list RIGHT NOW. The romance sounds hot, the story sounds awesome, and it really seems to have struck something in you. Amazing review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my God, YES. The movie version of this could be so awesome. I LOVED THIS BOOK SO MUCH. Tantalising romance indeed - Alex was so swoon-worthy. So excited for the sequel - it's being released next August I think (and it has a title too, which is yet to be revealed!). Can't wait for Fated either - glad you loved this as much as I did, Brodie! Great review :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read Hunting Lila so bad, but I just haven't gotten around to ordering it from the book depository yet. I promise I will though, especially after your glowing review. I'm so glad to hear that it was as amazing as it sounds. Thanks for the well rounded review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. *in a fangal crazy mode* OMG I LOVE THIS BOOK SO SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH! Great review! I'm posting mine tomorrow. Hunting Lila was everything I hoped for and more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Received this from S&S. I *would've* put it down somewhere but for the past week I've read rave reviews. Glowing feedback on Goodreads too! Oh I'm so excited to dig into this now <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! I'm so SO glad you liked this one! I've never actually heard of it, but once I read the synopsis, I was crossing my fingers and hoping that your review was going to be a good one. Adding it to my TBR list now. Thanks, Brodie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OHMYGOD this sounds like the PERFECT book for me. And your review of it is amazing!! I need need neeed this! thank you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhh, you have quite the talent of adding to my TBR list, Brodie. ;) This sounds fantastic all around so I'm going to need to get my hands on a copy asap.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love a movie version!! I'm glad you enjoyed this =]

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've added Sarah Alderson to your list of favorite authors?!? Oh man, I need to read her books! Hunting Lila sounds fantastic. It seems to have everything I look for in a book and then some! Plus, you and Liz both loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh man I want to read this soooooooooo bad! And your review makes it sound 1000 times more awesome than I thought it sounded before. I'm seriously just going to be move next door to you so I can borrow all your books. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing review! I've heard wonderful things about Lila. In fact, it got more positive reviews than this other book that we were both excited about. I'm so happy that you and Kai liked this so much! She's going to lend her copy to me and I can't wait to experience the awesomeness that is Lila.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic review! I actually just ordered myself a copy of this book because I've heard such great things about it! It sound so good and I can't wait to see if I'll like it as much as everyone else. :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates