Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Review: Fateful

Author: Claudia Gray
Release Date: Already out, buy a copy!
Publisher: Harper Collins
Add it: Goodreads
The RMS Titanic might be the most luxurious ship in the world, but all passenger Tess Davies wants to do is escape her dreary existence as a maid.
Trapped in a web of painful memories and twisted family secrets, Tess vows to make a run for it as soon as the ship reaches New York. A new world awaits... and a new life!
Her single-minded obsession shatters when she meets Alec. Handsome and mysterious, he captivates her immediately - but Alec has secrets of his own. As she uncovers the darkness lurking beneath his sophisticated surface, Tess discovers a horrifying truth. Werewolves, once only the stuff of nightmares, are real - and they are stalking Alec. Tess's love for Alec puts her in mortal peril, but an even greater danger lies in front of her before their journey on the Titanic is over...

We meet young servant to the Lisle family, Tess Davies, the night before the maiden voyage of the RMS Titanic, when a werewolf nearly attacks her and a young man saves her life. But is her saviour noble or perhaps more dangerous than the terrifying wolf? From that moment on, Tess is pulled into the dark and dangerous world of supernatural, all while dealing with her own trouble-filled life as she tends to the needs of the Lisle's. Tess' life as a servant and the clear divide between the rich and poor was written very realistically. Claudia obviously did her research. While Lady Regina and her son, Layton, are the perfect portrait of rich snobbery, it's the daughter, Irene, that is the most decent of the family. She's sweet and caring and I really enjoyed the endearing relationship between her and Tess.

I really admired Tess' character. Despite her position in society, she's confident, intelligent and headstrong. She's a brave young girl, willing to stand up for herself and fight for what she believes is right. She was so easy to grow attached to. I absolutely adored her romance with Alec. It's often hard to believably have two characters fall in love within a matter of days, but Claudia has written a romance so beautiful, so touching, laced with the right amount of danger and tragedy that you'll be desperately hoping for a happy ending. The chemistry between Tess and Alec was palpable, you see that love developing with every moment shared together, feel that connection grow deeper and deeper. These are the kind of love stories done right.

From Jack and Rose, to Alec and Tess, Titanic is a beautifully tragic setting for any romance. In large part thanks to the movie, I could easily visual the ship throughout the novel and it was sort of fascinating to imagine these werewolves crashing about in the below decks. What would the passengers think if they knew what lurked below? Adding a paranormal touch to one of the most historic events in history could have had disastrous consequences, but Claudia Gray pulled it off flawlessly. The mythology of the werewolves were interesting and the ominous werewolf pack known as the Brotherhood, added the real spark of danger. Particularly Mikhail, who has his filthy leering eyes set on Tess and adamant in forcing Alec into joining the Brotherhood, at any cost. At risk of anyone's life. He revels in that sheer savagery of being a wolf. He considers himself a god. The reader considers him a [word not appropriate for a PG blog].

We all know this ill-fated voyage ends at the bottom of the Atlantic ocean. Throughout the novel there's that eerie sense of foreboding as each day ticks by. When will the iceberg hit? Who will make it out alive? Claudia makes you feel for every character - whether that's love or hate - you become invested in each of their lives and can't help but question each fate. Yet at the same time, that knowledge of the impending disaster doesn't detract from the story, it only adds to it the incredible atmosphere.

Fateful is heartwarming and heartbreaking. Claudia Gray has delivered a breathtaking novel that will sweep you into the past, across the Atlantic and right into the heart of the ocean. It will plunge into the darkest waters, with just enough light peeking through to give you hope for these characters you have grown so fond of. Set sail upon a thrilling, tender and pulse-pounding voyage. Destination? A one-way ticket to your heart.

 5/5 Golden Apples!

11 comments:

  1. Eeeee awesome review! I'm so glad this one didn't end up cheesy and lame and actually lived up to the awesome potential. I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you enjoyed this. It was really heart breaking. I liked Tess a lot too. The actual night that the Titanic sank was done so well. Your reviews are so amazingly well written. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I'm so glad that you enjoyed this! This was such a beautiful book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. DUDE. BEAUTIFUL review<333 I'm so glad you loved this as much as I did!!! :) If people don't want this after reading your review... they need to check themselves. HAHA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YESSS, I'm so glad you enjoyed this; I usually seem to love everything you do and I have this waiting for me after I finish my current read. Can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Titanic with WEREWOLVES? Omg, I definitely have to read this one!! Thanks for the amazing review Brodie, the books you review always make it to the top of my TBR. :)

    x Tina @ Book Couture

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds awesome. I added it to my cart. I love anything about the Titanic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read your review and headed over to Goodreads ASAP. I couldn't risk forgetting to put this title on my wishlist, Fateful sounds so, so good!

    Praying for a happy ending though, weren't too many of those when Titanic went down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this book! Claudia Gray did a really amazing job with it. I was so curious through out the book about how it was going to end. Irene was one of my favorite characters, she's so different than the rest of her family. And of course, Tess and Alec are awesome together! :)

    Great review! I'm so glad you enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a great book, wondering how the werewolf connects to the Titanic. Does Tess die on the Titanic. I have so many questions now. lol. I guess I need to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you said that the romance (even though it starts and happens within a couple of days) felt realistic. I saw another review a few days ago that mentioned that, and "insta-love" is usually a huge turn-off for me. I have a review copy of this book sitting on my shelf, and I can't wait to get to it! I still need to finish Gray's Evernight series. I never got around to reading the last book, though I'm excited to.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates