Friday, September 23, 2011

Review: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

Author: Jennifer E. Smith
Release Date: January 5th 2012. Preorder a copy!
Publisher: Headline AU / Poppy US
Add it: Goodreads
Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18B. Hadley's in 18A.

Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.
Hadley Sullivan is four minutes late for the flight that will take her to England to see her father get remarried. She doesn't want to go, she's never even met the woman he's about to marry and the thought of spending the next few hours at 40,000 feet above ground, with no escape, isn't exactly comforting to a girl who's claustrophobic. But those 4 minutes - a mere 240 seconds - completely change the next 24 hours for Hadley and quite possibly, the rest of her life.

Hadly is carrying a lot of hurt and anger towards her father and Charlotte, his new wife-to-be. She resents how he just walked straight out of her life - not just to another house or state, but an entirely separate continent. He has a whole other life that she doesn't feel part of. She's carried that pain around ever since and it's had a damaging effect on their once close relationship. She felt like such a genuinely real protagonist, her emotions and thoughts were so understandable and I think so many will be able to relate to and take an instant liking to her.

I'd like to formally welcome Oliver to my Top Ten List of Swoony Fictional Boyfriends. He is so insanely CHARMING. Oh heavens, is it the British accent? Hmm, no. (Although imagining it sure adds to his wow-factor). It's his funny, infectious, brilliantly vibrant personality. Every time he's on the page, my face cracked from over-working my mouth into a constant smile. He's this sweet, charismatic ball of energy that all the girls will fall head over heels for and all the boys will secretly want a bromance with.

I lived for the scenes between Hadley and Oliver. Their interactions sent a shot of Happy through every vein in my body, sending my heart into a dizzying fit of flutters. Their conversations were so funny, witty, random and inspiring. So many times I found myself rereading a line or paragraph shared between these two, because it was just so darn brilliant. Their chemistry sent little sparks shooting off every page. I still have the scorch marks on my fingers as proof, because I would not, could not, put this book down. I was an addict desperate for one more page, one more word, one more look, one more kiss.

This book really makes you ponder the difference between coincidence and fate. Hadley's story would have turned out so differently had she caught her flight on time. If those random and seemingly insignificant events leading up to her missed flight hadn't happened. Had she not done this or said that... she wouldn't have caught the later flight. She wouldn't have met the boy with donut crumbs on his shirt. He wouldn't have switched seats on the plane so they were sitting beside one another. And she wouldn't have fallen for his absolutely delightful self and carried those precious hours they spent together throughout the rest of her day. And if she hadn't, she'd be leaving England a much less happy person. I don't believe in coincidence, I think everything happens for a reason and this book is a perfect depiction of the domino effect one small change can have and how it could alter your entire life.

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight will make even the most cynical person open their mind to consider the possibilities of fate and love at first sight. It is a beautiful story of love and family, fate and coincidence, how one missed flight, one small blip in your day could affect everything you do from that point forward. It's so genuine and gorgeously crafted. I could not wipe the smile off my face for hours after I finished reading. Fans of Stephanie Perkins will inhale this book five times over.

Please write lots and lots of books, Jennifer. Whatever you bring out next, you're officially an instant-buy author.

5/5 Golden Apples!!!

17 comments:

  1. Yay for charming guys! :D You convinced me with that, I'm DEFINITELY going to read The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight, only for the charming British dude. :DD Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. INEEDTHISBOOKNOW. I heart your reviews, they always make me smile. :)
    I requested this for review too but got a reply that it was too early and they weren't sending them out yet and to try again later. Must be different for Austrailia. But OMG I NEEEEEEEED IT haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a glowing review! This is on my list of potential WoW posts, and I think it's moving up the chain! I am definitely excited about this one, thanks for such a great review!
    Courtney @ Fuzzy.Coffee.Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been really wary about this one, because I'm not a fan of the whole love-at-first-sight thing. But if you say it's amazing, well, I just have to believe you :P. Oliver sounds awesome! (Of course, he's a Brit, and we're all brilliant :P.) I'm also curious about Hadley and how she's dealing with her family stuff. Great review, Brodie! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah Brodie, you've convinced me! I will indeed request this <3 Sounds brilliant - can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, fantastic review. Can't wait to get my hands on this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review Brodie. I wasn't entirely sure whether to read this book, but I think I will.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really, really curious about this book! It sounds really great. So glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for making me want to grab this book from my shelf and read it NOW! It sounds really cute, fun and great.

    Can not wait to meet Oliver...sounds like yet another book crush.

    Gah, must resist temptation to read it now. I have a whole pile of other books to read FIRST!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah this sounds so incredibly cute! It reminds me of the movie Serendipity, coincidences and destiny, it's just so adorable.
    I'm most definitely a Stephanie Perkins fans and I will so be reading this when it comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW. This sounds amazing. I already wanted to read it but now I just... gah. Your reviews always do this to me!

    He made the TOP TEN? Woah. That is a pretty prestigious position! Can't wait to read this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH BRODIE. You kill me. I CANNOT wait to read this!!!! A friend just sent this to me, as soon as I get that box THIS IS NEXT. OH I need to meet Oliver!

    And I SO agree. Nothing in coincidence. I think every thing happens for a reason. <3

    LOVE this review Brodie<3

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel like I have seen this cover before. Hmm. Well, it sounds like a delicious book. Your review has me wishing I had it in my hands right now. :)

    -jehara

    ReplyDelete
  14. Noooooooooooooo.


    Thanks for making me desperately need this book. I know for sure I'm going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh, this book sounds so good. I love great chemistry in books and that Oliver sure sounds like a swoonworthy guy! Is it possible to swoon without having read the book yet? LOL Awesome review, Brodie :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the whole idea that everything happens for a reason.The airport / plane setting will work so well for this. Can't wait to read it! Thanks for the head's up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent job in making me THIS much more excited!!

    - Asher (from Paranormal Indulgence)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates