Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Review: The Industry


Author: Rose Foster
Release Date: April 2012
Publisher: Harper Collins Australia
Add it: Goodreads
Kirra Hayward is an ordinary sixteen year old - smarter than most, but otherwise completely anonymous. When she solves an unusual decrypting puzzle on the internet to fill in a moment of boredom at school, she has no idea of what she's letting herself in for.

Kidnapped by a shadowy organisation of mercenaries known only as The Industry, Kirra soon discovers how valuable her code-breaking skills are. And when she stubbornly refuses to help them, they decide to break her ... by any means at their disposal.

Kirra knows that to protect herself, she must trust no one, not even her fellow prisoner, Milo. But as time goes by she wonders if he is the only person she can rely on.

Compulsive and page-turning, The Industry is the first in a trilogy from talented debut author Rose Foster.
One click of the mouse forever changed the life of Kirra Haywood. She stumbles across a mysterious "Crack the Code!" website and solves the puzzle without a second thought. A week later on her way home from school, she's kidnapped by the people who uploaded the code. Gone without a trace, without a shred of evidence left behind for her family to track her whereabouts. Apparently she's one of the only living people in the world who can decipher the Spencer Code. It's not something you can learn to decrypt, you're either one of the rare individuals who possess this mystifying talent to solve it, or you're not. But why? And how can a 16 year old (even if she is studying maths two years her senior) decipher a code that has baffled the most skilled individuals in the field? And how on earth will she ever escape the cruel, ruthless man who's taken her hostage, when she's become his most valued weapon?

After weeks of imprisonment and torture, Kirra finds she has a new cellmate. Milo Franklyn. I loved the interactions between these two in the beginning. They're not overly friendly toward one another and Milo is so amusingly annoying. Kirra has no real interest in striking a friendship with him, in large part due to events that transpired before he arrived. But Milo is stubbornly persistent and eventually Kirra begins to open up to him. During the months locked away together, a tentative connection grows between the pair. But will they both be to escape alive? And is all as it seems in this scary world they're apart of?

I really felt for Kirra. Her future is totally shattered. The more she learns about the world she's become entangled in, the more she realises she can't ever go back to her family, she can't ever let her guard down or allow people to know who she is because no matter where she goes in the world, the bad guys will be in constant pursuit. Yet despite the unfairness of her situation, I'm excited to see her grow in future books. To learn and train and basically kick some serious ass, because she's already showed she's got it in her. She began to rise up and take control, fight back against those who destroyed her life. And if this is what Rose Foster offered us from her first installment, I'm giddy with excitement to sample the kickass action and twists she'll serve up in the sequel.

Both guys and girls will find themselves completely engrossed in this gripping and action-packed secret world of assassins, extractors, code-breakers and all kinds of criminals.... ah, sorry Desmond, 'criminals' sounds petty, doesn't it? They're Contractors, highly-skilled in their field and 100% certifiably dangerous. The Industry reads like an action-thriller movie, I can already see it making a great film! The secondary characters were all fantastic, but you'll always be second-guessing who to trust. Who is a friend and who is an enemy? I'll just say that I'm particularly fond of those who she does manage to form an alliance with!

The Industry is a highly addictive, witty, edge-of-your-seat thrill-ride that will constantly keep you alert for the next unsuspecting danger or betrayal. Whether it's a gun, a shocking twist or a healthy dose of torture, there is always something awaiting you around the next corner. There's never a dull moment and the action refuses to cease. And when you've finally escaped the fast-paced danger, you'll be bouncing on your heels, eager for another round. The stakes are high and the escapes are narrow. Forget everything about your boring, mundane life - welcome to an exciting, dangerous, pulse-racing world. Welcome to The Industry.

Be sure to check out The Industry's Facebook page where other reviewers will soon be posting their thoughts on this stunning debut novel. Plus it's the place to be for all the latest news and updates in the lead up to release!

5/5 Golden Apples!

10 comments:

  1. Mmmmm my type of book kinda! Action and lots of it. Can’t wait! Sweet review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading this now. Can't wait to finish it. So far so good. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! How have I not heard of this before??? I will definitely be adding this to me to-read list. Thanks for the awesome review, and for putting this on my radar! I love finding new books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any idea if this is publishing in the UK? Because it sounds AWESOME. Seriously, this is the exact kind of book I love! Kirra seems like a character I'd really like, and I'm intrigued about this code! Fab review, I hope I get to read this some time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. An excellent review but I won't be reading this one because I just can't stomach torture. Apart from that it sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liz - I don't think it has sold UK rights as yet, but I'll see if I can try to find out for you! I think you'd love it :D

    Tahlia - There's torture tactics used, but... not of the graphic, stomach-turning kind. I think you'd be fine reading it!

    Thanks for the lovely comments! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds so so good!! I love your reviews Brodie!! Another book to add to my list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds so so good!! I love your reviews Brodie!! Another book to add to my list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I first found out about this book while researching for the 2012 debut author challenge, but had no clue what it was about until now! It sounds INSANELYWONDERFULWOW! Awesome review; I’m looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. As I was reading your review I was thinking that it sounded like an epic action movie, then you wrote that lol. It seriously sounds like all kinds of awesome!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates