Friday, October 21, 2011

Review: Silence

Author: Becca Fitzpatrick
Release Date: Already out, buy a copy!
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Add it: Goodreads
The noise between Patch and Nora is gone. They've overcome the secrets riddled in Patch's dark past...bridged two irreconcilable worlds...faced heart-wrenching tests of betrayal, loyalty and trust...and all for a love that will transcend the boundary between heaven and earth. Armed with nothing but their absolute faith in one another, Patch and Nora enter a desperate fight to stop a villain who holds the power to shatter everything they've worked for—and their love—forever.



After the torturous cliffhanger that Crescendo us on, Silence picks up a few months following Nora's kidnapping. She awakens in a graveyard with no recollection of how she got there or how long she's been missing. But more terrifying, she can't remember the past five months. Gone are her memories of Nephilim and Angel, the terrible discovery of her biological father, the sacrifice's she's made.... gone are her memories of Patch.

Right from the get go, Becca hooked me in with her addictive storytelling. Even when Nora couldn't remember key parts of her life, never did it feel slow to me or annoying in having greater knowledge than the protagonist, because there were still plenty of mysteries and twists for us to uncover. Nora was proactive in trying to latch onto any leads that might help her shed light on her missing memories, which naturally led her to some dangerous situations. Patch is trying to keep her safe, keep her in the dark and away from him at first, because if she remembers, then her life could be in greater danger than it already is. But how can she let it go when there's that empty hollow in her mind? Her heart feels something, but the memories are trapped away. This leads her on a discovery to the truth, making new acquaintances, shocking discoveries and life-changing sacrifices as an all-out war threatens to erupt between Nephilim and Angels.

As the mystery unfolds and the twists deepen, the romance is as seductive as ever. The bond shared between Nora and Patch has grown stronger, closer and more breathtaking after all they've endured. Even when Nora isn't fully aware who he is, the scenes they share are fueled with spark and desire. You're on high alert, waiting for the tension to snap and for these two lovebirds to just embrace. And when they do, oh it's so worth it. Patch is more open with Nora than he's ever been before. He trusts and respects her completely and the love is so boldly clear and downright sexy. We see a more softer, affectionate, fiercely loyal side of him unearthed, which, balanced with his deadly calm and menacing promises, make for an enticing bad boy who gives us not flutters, but a spine-tingling thrill.

Many old characters resurface into deeper and more surprising roles. Scottie the Pottie, Scottie the Hottie, agh - Scott (knew I'd get there eventually!) is back and I totally fell for his charm. I'm so happy Becca chose to flesh his character out more in this installment. He becomes a true friend and ally to Nora, especially during a time when she wasn't sure who she could count on. And it must be mentioned: Hank Millar is an ass. Oh, sorry. Do you care for me to elaborate? Hank Millar is a goddamn ass. Excuse the language. He's definitely the best (and worst, in the best way...) villain we've seen so far. He's calculating and downright ruthless in his attempts to get what he wants. He has no moral compass - hell, he kidnapped and tortured his own daughter for months on end. Does it get any more unforgiving than that? I was just waiting, waiting, waiting throughout the novel for him to get taken down!

I have a major soft spot for the sexual tension and banter between in Hush, Hush, with scenes I could reread a hundred times over and still resurface with a naughty grin on my face. But Silence is now a contender for my favourite book in the series so far. Cloaked in danger, mystery, romance and secrets, Silence is a seductive novel that will lure fans old and new back into the thrilling world Becca has so effortlessly crafted. And with the way things ended, I'm toying with the idea of swearing an oath of fealty to Becca if she'll let me read the manuscript to book four!! I'm so happy this was not the final adventure in the series, because this is one story I do not want to bid farewell to anytime soon.

5/5 Golden Apples!

10 comments:

  1. Great, I'm glad this one is out. It's a series I really want to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet another great review from you Brodie. I'm really glad that Patch is more open with Nora too. Their bond definitely got stronger - which I'm thankful for. I'm also glad that Becca developed the character mores . . . especially Scott. And talk about the jackASS Hank! Ugh. I hate him to the very bone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am excited to read this. I have heard mixed things, but I am sold after this review. I love the romance in these books. Patch...drool.

    It sounds like the villain in this is extra bad guy douchy so that makes me happy too!

    Awesome review Brodie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! Fab review, as always. LOOOVED the sexual tension and sweetness between Nora and Patch! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think yours is the first really positive review of this I've read so that's good! I have got it, and I do want to read it, I just have some trepidations cause I wasn't a huuuuge fan of the last one.

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really am SO excited to read this whenever I get my paws on it! Because it sounds so good!! Scott's charm... hehe I like his charm ;)... should we throw him in our boy shower? LOL

    Great review Brodie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the sexual tension between Nora and Patch! Screw that, I love Patch. End of story. I don't think I can wait any longer until book four comes out! I hope it'll be even better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Jena - LOL YES! Scottie the Po--- Hottie, please report to the boy shower! Provided we can tear ourselves away from Patch long enough...

    Thanks so much for the lovely comments everyone! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aaah, I've only read Hush, Hush so far! I really need to get to Crescendo soon and find out what all this "memory loss" business everyone has been talking about is ;) Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww! I last saw this on the last day of school - no school now, so no Silence yet. You highly recommend this right? How's our badboy angel? I know this will be awesome. ANd if you say this rivals the sexual tension and batter of Hush.. *gasps* this must be worth the read! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates