Saturday, October 1, 2011

You Give = We Give Author Spotlight: Rhiannon Hart

Throughout the duration of You Give = We Give, Jess, Rachel and I will be spotlighting the amazing authors who have so generously donated both their time and their novels into helping make this a success. Today I'm delighted to welcome the insanely talented Rhiannon Hart, author of Blood Song, for a quick Q&A!

How do you feel about the smokin' hot bad guy in novels?
Like in life, I am a rotten sucker for the good guy in novels. I don't like 'em squeaky clean (that would be boring, right?) but a good guy with a devilish twinkle in his eye and I'm swooning all over the place. I don't usually get the same kick out of the bad guys, but if I had to name one it would be Spike from Buffy. He just does it so WELL, you know?

What does your inner child say when you finish a novel and it isn't a happy ending? And what does it say when there is one?
Not a happy ending? Rewrite it! Especially if I think it should have gone another way. I remember rewriting many book endings when I was a teenager when they didn't satisfy me, or they didn't quite go far enough. If the hero and heroine didn't unite with enough fanfare and trumpets and kisses, for instance. That led to me writing fan-fiction. Especially Labyrinth fan-fiction. I mean, come ON, what a cool world! (I admit to putting a vampire in the Goblin King's castle. She nearly bit Jareth.) If there is a happy ending, and it's just right for the characters, I am over the moon. But if there were always happy endings, I don't think I would ever have become a writer.

What is a novel that has left you totally and completely gutted? Why?
On the Beach by Nevil Shute. It's a classic, a Cold War dystopian novel written in the 50s. The northern hemisphere has been obliterated by a nuclear holocaust and a radioactive cloud is swirling southwards. Melbourne is one of the last outposts left, and an American submarine captain picks up a radio signal from San Francisco and heads off to investigate. The style is a little grating in places--the characters are too what-ho, stiff-upper-lip. I mean, the northern hemisphere doesn't exist anymore! The government is handing out suicide pills! (Apparently that's how people were because of World War II and we wouldn't understand these days, according to my dad. It's a little silly, though.) Despite this, I loved the book, and ended up sobbing as I read the last pages. Totally gutted.


I wanted to turn but I was held captive by the song on the wind. I’m coming, I told the voices. Please, wait for me.

When her sister becomes betrothed to a prince in a northern nation, Zeraphina’s only consolations are that her loyal animal companions are by her side – and that her burning hunger to travel north is finally being sated.

Already her black hair and pale eyes mark her out as different, but now Zeraphina must be even more careful to keep her secret safe. Craving blood is not considered normal behaviour for anyone, let alone a princess. So when the king’s advisor, Rodden, seems to know more about her condition than she does, Zeraphina is determined to find out more.

Zeraphina must be willing to sacrifice everything if she’s to uncover the truth – but what if the truth is beyond her worst nightmares?

Add Blood Song to Goodreads
Buy a copy at Amazon [Kindle] or Booktopia
Follow Rhiannon on Twitter / Blog 

If you'd like to chance to win a copy of Blood Song and dozens of other amazing books, then please check out the You Give = We Give post for all the details. Each donation counts toward making a child's Christmas that much brighter this year!

2 comments:

  1. Ooh Spike from Buffy. I completely agree - he definitely does it well. Great post, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, Spike <3 Definitely one of the best bad boys.

    Definitely agree with the happy ending bit! No ending beats the HEA for me, no matter how much I try to deny it.

    Great interview! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates