Friday, November 25, 2011

Review: Crossed

Author: Ally Condie
Release Date: Already out, buy a copy!
Publisher: Penguin
Add it: Goodreads
The hotly awaited second book in the dystopian Matched trilogy

In search of a future that may not exist and faced with the decision of who to share it with, Cassia journeys to the Outer Provinces in pursuit of Ky - taken by the Society to his certain death - only to find that he has escaped, leaving a series of clues in his wake.

Cassia's quest leads her to question much of what she holds dear, even as she finds glimmers of a different life across the border. But as Cassia nears resolve and certainty about her future with Ky, an invitation for rebellion, an unexpected betrayal, and a surprise visit from Xander - who may hold the key to the uprising and, still, to Cassia's heart - change the game once again. Nothing is as expected on the edge of Society, where crosses and double crosses make the path more twisted than ever.

Crossed picks up where Matched left us in torment. Ky is now being forced to work in the Outer Provinces, the danger of attacks by the Enemy a constant fear. Cassia is on a 3 month work detail, secretly using this in hopes of finding Ky. Both enduring grim, labouring days... until they manage to escape their groups. Both on the run, so close, yet still so far away from one another. Each accompanied by fresh allies, they journey through the Carving in search for one another. In search for love and purpose and answers, but will they find what they're looking for before it's too late?

I absolutely loved Matched, so I was expecting big things from Crossed. Unfortunately, it didn't quite live up to my expectations. It's much more slower-paced than it's predecessor and while slow journeys aren't really a problem for me, I just didn't feel as though much happened. There is definitely emotional developments and some new things come to light about the Society, but I found the lack of action, suspense and plot progression a little disappointing.

While it wasn't as involving and forward-moving as I'd hoped, I did love that we got to see more of Ky this time around. There was a note from Ally in the beginning of the book and what she said certainly rings true – this is Ky’s story just as much as it is Cassia’s. Yes, there are some struggles and conflicts that Cassia must also deal with, but Crossed begins to chip away at the mystery of Ky. We explore deeper into his past, peel back the emotional layers and gain a greater understanding of what shapes this beautiful, tormented boy. Although sometimes, mostly when he and Cassia are in the same place, I found myself confusing their chapters. Each chapter switches narrative and their voices are incredibly similar, so if I wasn't paying attention to the change of a new chapter, a few paragraphs into the next one I was thinking, 'Huh? Why is Ky hugging himself? Oops, it's Cassia's POV!' haha.

Cassia is still torn between Ky and Xander and you can see why she feels this way. Her feelings for both boys are well developed, even if there is really no question that Ky is the boy she ought to be with! I do give props to Xander though, he’s a nice guy and while he doesn’t play a huge role in the sequel, he still makes enough of an impact to be seen as a potential threat (but really, we all know she'll end up with Ky.... right?!), not to mention Xander is hiding a few secrets of his own. The love between Cassia and Ky deepens and becomes more complicated and intricate, as love does.

While I didn’t love it as much as the first, I still enjoyed the emotional journey Crossed took our main characters on, especially Ky. Ally Condie once again uses the power and beauty of words to inspire, to motivate, to show love and regret and pain. And to incite rebellion, a rebellion that is simmering beneath the surface and will hopefully ignite into an explosive finale.

3/5 Golden Apples

8 comments:

  1. Aww, kind of sad to hear you didn't love this as much as Matched :( I have Crossed, but I still haven't started. Matched was amazing and I'm definitely looking forward to learning more about my boy Ky <3

    Great review! :) Hopefully Book 3 blows you away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad you didn't like this as much as Matched! I'm still debating whether I should start Matched...I've read mixed reviews about it soo...I'm in a dilemma :( it's a pity that the different POVs sounded so similar - must've been pretty confusing :S Hopefully the third book will be much better! Fantastic review as always <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean Brodie! I didn't mind Matched but with Crossed (which I'm almost finished reading) it was rather disappointing. The pace is pretty slow. Great and honest review nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard this so many times, so I'm read CROSSED not expecting anything too groundbreaking. I actually complained that MATCHED was slow, so ... haha. Anyway thanks for the review - good to know that there is some development.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still haven't read Matched yet...hahaha...:P. It's a shame this one didn't live up to your expectations - I think lack of action would disappoint me too. Still, glad you enjoyed some parts of it! I still really want to start this series - got Matched on my tbr :). Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I felt exactly the same way. I didn't feel the voices were different enough to distinguish the points of view. You had to be thinking about whose perspective it was from.

    I also felt like not much really happened. At the end you were pretty much right back where you began, with a bit of new information.

    I did like that we got to know Ky more, and see things from his point of view.

    Great, and honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh, I haven't read Matched yet. I've pinched my BFF's copy after so many glowing reviews , but I heard Matched was slow... so if Matched was slow, and Crossed is slower, it must be glacial. I AM looking forward to finding out who this Ky and Xander I keep hearing about are, though :D

    On an aside: Vampire Diaries + Nikita = LOVE. Clearly a major oversight on my part, but I'm running majorly behind on them. There was the mid-season break for VD in the states, and I only watch GO! for VD and Nikita, so when it came back on I didn't know, and basically missed the entire second half of season 2. At this point I'm completely lost. I think there's going to have to be a VD marathon catch-up weekend... after which my husband will never speak to me again XD

    Nikita, though... hmmm... he might like Nikita... I'm going to have scheme and plot, and figure out who I can convert :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates