Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Review: Touch of Power

Author: Maria V. Snyder
Release Date: AU January 2012 / US December 20th 2011
Publisher: HarlequinTEEN
Add it: Goodreads
Laying hands upon the injured and dying, Avry of Kazan assumes their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honored for her skills, she is hunted. Healers like Avry are accused of spreading the plague that has decimated the Territories, leaving the survivors in a state of chaos.

Stressed and tired from hiding, Avry is abducted by a band of rogues who, shockingly, value her gift above the golden bounty offered for her capture. Their leader, an enigmatic captor-protector with powers of his own, is unequivocal in his demands: Avry must heal a plague-stricken prince—leader of a campaign against her people. As they traverse the daunting Nine Mountains, beset by mercenaries and magical dangers, Avry must decide who is worth healing and what is worth dying for. Because the price of peace may well be her life....
For three years Avry has been on the constant move, doing her best to keep her extraordinary healing powers hidden from the world. After a plague wiped out two thirds of the population, Healers, once revered, were accused of spreading the terrible disease. So when Avry uses her powers to save a dying girl, her selfless act is rewarded by the girls parents alerting the watchman. For the act of saving a life, Avry is about to lose hers. That is, until Kerrick of Alga comes to visit her cell in the dead of the night and rescues her from execution. But not without a price. Kerrick and his group of men have been searching for a Healer for two years to heal their plague-ridden Prince. A Prince who Avry is hell-bent to let die. Can Kerrick convince her that Prince Ryne is worth saving before it's too late?

If I had to choose one thing that absolutely nails this novel for me, it's the characters. Maria has created such an incredibly vibrant bunch of personalities that will not allow you leave without branding your heart. Sweet, caring Belen with muscles as big as his heart, the bantering 'monkeys' Vinn and Quain and the adorably youthful Flea, who I dare anyone to deny their affection for. I absolutely loved the interactions between Avry and the guys. The way their relationship grew over the course of the novel was so heartwarming. They become a family and anytime they were faced with danger or separated for a short time, it always felt like home coming back to their scenes trekking through the forest or camping overnight in a cave. Action and danger I adore, but every time an obstacle came along, I found part of myself cursing the need for plot developments because I could have read an entire novel with just Avry and the crew hanging out.

With that being said, I did thoroughly enjoy the danger and mystery and amazing worldbuilding. It was so interesting to learn about the different types of magic some people possessed within the Realms. From Healers to those who wield control over elements like earth, air, life or death. And to witness both the beautiful and the sickening capabilities of that magic was fascinating. As were the inclusion of Death Lilies and Peace Lilies, I was so intrigued to learn the mystery behind these unique plants and how exactly they affect Avry. Maria has crafted a world both captivating in it's magic, but dangerous in its power.

The romance is definitely not an all-consuming, main aspect to the novel and all the more better for it. What started off as animosity gradually grew into something electric, the sexual tension simmering beneath until you just want to shout at them to kiss already! Even if neither Avry nor Kerrick ever want to admit those feelings. Both are as stubborn as the other. Kerrick has his reasons for shutting off emotionally and considering he treated her like a jackass at the start (well, apart from the saving-her-from-execution part), Avry isn't exactly open to fawning over him. 

Magic, adventure and a dash of romance, Touch of Power is an addictive novel that will leave you eager for the next installment in this thrilling new series. Fans and newcomers to Maria's work will devour this in one sitting, but be warned; you will become attached to the characters. You won't want to leave this stunning world. And it's not possible to kill the bad guys by scratching at their name on the page or throwing the book across the room because they've taken you away from your favourite scenes. I'm still working on my 'take-down-the-fictional-baddies-from-my-depressingly-mundane-reality' powers. I'll get there eventually.

4/5 Golden Apples!

13 comments:

  1. Sounds really good! Totally adding this to my TBR :) Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh! Sounds like a brilliant read. -adds to wishlist-

    A stunning review as always Brodie <3

    Faye (;D)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you enjoyed this one, Brodie!! It was so fantastic, wasn't it? I adored it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this one too! The characters and magic really were fantastic. I'm so glad there's more coming! (now I wish it would hurry up and come NOW).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Maria's Inside Out Series, and I have a feeling I'll like this too! :) She's an amazing writer - hooked my with the 1st chapter. Great review! I'm looking forward to encountering these vibrant characters and awesome worldbuilding!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, good character development is my absolute favorite part of a good book! I've heard a lot of good things about Snyder's other series, (though I've yet to read them), so I'm hoping I'll enjoy Touch of Power!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! I absolutely loved this novel and it may not have been great like Maria's Poison Study series but it was very close behind. Snyder just creates amazing storylines not to mention great characters which I'll always love about her as an author. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ace Review Girl as usual!!!! I loved Kerrick. Seriously Tags him as mine 'Sigh' <3 Can't wait for book two!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stupid blogger, I wrote a long comment than it told me that I didn't have permission to post it. GrrRR. Anyways, lovely review! I haven't read a single book by M. Snyder but I've heard nothing but good stuff about her previous books. I must grab one and see what it is all about one day. I loved your description of wanting to kill the baddies btw LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reading your review instantly brings to mind Snyder's Poison Study series, which I loved! The action, powerful heroine, the romance that is slow to build up, everything that i loved in those books looks to be in this as well, yay :D
    Also, have you read Janice Hardy's Healing Wars books? They have a very similar idea, though for a less YA audience. Still great though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! This is the first review I've read for this book. I am super curious about it now. :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. 'take-down-the-fictional-baddies-from-my-depressingly-mundane-reality'

    Mwahaha!

    OK, with this, I swear I'm going to stop trawling your archives:

    I LOVE MVS. She's one of my favouritist authors, and waiting for this one is KILLING ME. I'm so stoked to see such wonderful reviews, as sometimes I think, as much as I love her, she can be a hit-and-miss author. I ADORED Poison Study, loved Magic Study, but got to Fire Study and went "Huh? What happened to kickass, tough as nails Yelena? Why is she moping and pushing Valek away? Is she seriously being kidnapped AGAIN? I'm going to track her down and shake her silly."

    So SOO excited! TY for yet another fab review!
    Seriously, I'm out. *Must work, not blog hop* XD

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates