Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Review: Under the Never Sky

Author: Veronica Rossi
Release Date: Dec 2011 AUS / Jan 3rd US / Feb 7th UK
Publisher: Murdoch Books AU / HarperTeen US / ATOM UK
Add it: Goodreads

Since she’d been on the outside, she’d survived an Aether storm, she’d had a knife held to her throat, and she’d seen men murdered. This was worse.

Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland—known as The Death Shop—are slim. If the cannibals don’t get her, the violent, electrified energy storms will. She’s been taught that the very air she breathes can kill her. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He’s wild—a savage—and her only hope of staying alive.

A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile—everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria’s help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, Aria and Perry must accept each other to survive. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky.

In her enthralling debut, Veronica Rossi sends readers on an unforgettable adventure set in a world brimming with harshness and beauty.
Aria lives in Reverie, where lives are predominantly lived through a Smarteye that can transport you to any virtual realm. You can go anywhere, do anything, possess any talent you desire and never have to feel pain. Perry lives on the Outside, where pain is an almost everyday thing. Land is divided up amongst tribes, food is scarce and danger is a constant companion. Whether from those on opposing tribes or from the sky above, where electrifying energy known as aether swirls constantly and could strike out in a deadly storm at any time. After Aria is wrongly accused of a crime in Reverie, she is exiled to Perry's world. With no skills, weapons or food and only the terrifying myths she's heard of the Savages who populate the lands, Aria knows she won't survive long. Until Perry finds her and so an extremely reluctant agreement is made between two people whose aversion to one another screams from the pages. But they need the other's help in order to each find the person they love the most, so they're going to have to suck up their differences and together fight their way under the never sky.

Aria has this bright curiosity that is so amusing to read from Perry's perspective, because while she is a girl of many words, he is a boy of few... and would prefer her to be that way too. I loved seeing his internal reactions toward her. Aria really grew into a strong young woman throughout the course of the novel. From a frightened, desperate girl thrust into a scary, unknown world to a knife-wielding survivor. And she was just so likable! I loved being inside her head just as much as I did Perry's. She has genuine personality and that's why I found myself so taken by her.

Veronica knows how to write her men. Peregrine... oh, Perry! I am in love. He is a beautiful beast of a boy, with a scary, intimidating exterior that belies the sweet, complex guy that lay within. His heart, humour and courage made my insides all kinds of toasty warm. He's a compelling mystery you want to uncover, but slowly, so slowly, so you can enjoy every breathtaking layer. And Roar. ROAR! Don't you just love his name? And I promise, you will love the gorgeous man attached to it. He's this bright, charming spark that I don't think anyone could possibly find reason to dislike. Best friend to Perry, these two make for an awesome team <3

Under the Never Sky has written one of the best romances I've had the joy of discovering. The slow burning attraction between Aria and Perry will drive you crazy and to me, that is the best kind. It's a relationship that begins with prejudice and fear and animosity and slowly morphs into a beautiful creation of mutual respect, trust, strength and desire. They have that zing of chemistry that is likely what's causing those aether storms in the first place. Narrative switches back and forth between them both and I found myself anaylsing every action the current narrator did, wondering and guessing what the other was really thinking about it. I could not get enough of these two!

My expectations were high going into this, but Veronica Rossi shattered them into a billion pieces. She so effortlessly draws you into this bewitching world where exist two vastly different realities, so intriguing in their own ways and so unlike our own, but at heart it's the pure emotion that is familiar, so easy to relate to. The characters are deep and tangible. Perry, Aria, Roar, Cinder, Talon... they each leap off the page with ferocity. They will make you laugh and gasp and devastate your heart with their pain and sorrow, haunting you long after you close the cover. The adventure they lead you on will keep you poised on the tips of your toes and draw every sense of your being into their compelling journey.

Under the Never Sky is a mesmerising debut that will be read again and again and again. The kind of world you will lose yourself in so completely. It is incredible in every sense of the word. A world so amazingly crafted, an adventure so thrilling, with a mystery that will captivate and characters you never want to part ways with, Veronica has written a knockout debut that has already cemented itself was one of my new favourite novels.

5/5 Golden Apples!

20 comments:

  1. Ahhh!! I'm so glad you loved it so much! I cannot WAIT to get my hands on a copy as it just sounds soooo good!!

    Great review, as always!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah! This book sounds AMAZING! I was planning to wait a little longer to read it, but I think I may have to start it sooner now. :) You've definitely got me intrigued! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The romance..WOWWWW it sounds soooo good! The slow burn makes it so much more exciting in the end! And 'beautiful beast of a boy' *grabs* tee hee ;D
    Yeah, so I'm starting this asap. Awesome review Brodie!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really really want to read this book now. 'Beautiful beast of a boy . . .' man you know how to tease us readers! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm officially starting this TONIGHT. I DON'T CARE WHAT OTHER BOOKS I HAVE TO READ BEFORE THIS, I'M DEFINITELY STARTING THIS TONIGHT!Oh, the ROMANCE!! Burning attraction? Now, this sounds exciting! It's been a while since I've read some really good romance, so I'm looking forward to it!Amazing review <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brodie, Y U WRITE SUCH FANTASTIC REVIEWS?! Lol, every time I read one, I *always* end up adding it to my wish list. Never fails.

    Under the Never Sky sounds FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC. Just one question, though. From looking at the cover and reading the description, it seems like a dystopian. But the way you describe it, it sounds more like a fantasy kind of read. What genre is it, exactly? Or is it like a blend of both?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay!! Another one to add in my wishlist! :) Well, I already added it but you know what I mean. I absolutely love your review. So passionate and enthusiastic that it makes me feel pissed off that I didn't get this on Netgalley. Oh thank you for posting! <3 the sound of this, The romance and the wonder of it all! XD

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sigh....I don't have a copy of this and you've made me want to read it NOW!!!! Luckily it comes out soon (Jan here I believe) and I can read it.

    It sounds amazing, and I love how yo describe the romance. I have a feeling I am going to be swooning and loving the connection between these characters.

    Amazing review for what sounds like an amazing novel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another amazing review, Brodie! I honestly didn't expect much from this one, but I've heard nothing but great things. And apparently it's snuck onto Australian shelves early, so I might get myself a copy later this week and see what everyone's talking about!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Ashley - Hahaha thank you! I'm so happy I'm clogging up your wishlist :D Hmm, tough question... it's set in a dystopia future, but there are fantasy elements. With the aether sky and the effects it's had on some of the Outsiders. So yes, probably a blend? But don't quote me on that haha.

    Thank you all for your AWESOME comments!!! <3 I'm so excited to see what you guys think of it when you read!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow! This sounds awesome. I'm looking for it now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohhhh I want this now. You always do this to me, Brodieee! I had a feeling this would be awesome but I didn't know it was one of "Brodie's favourite novels" material.

    NEED. This is so on my wishlist now. I can't wait to read about the electrifying romance between Perry and Aria - they both sound like fantastic characters. Awesome review! Then again, when are your reviews NOT awesome? <3

    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, I'm loving your description of that romance! Colour me interested! I've been seeing reviews of this book everywhere. I'm going to have to turn to my net e-galley to see what all the fuss is about. If you loved it, chances are I'll be blown away too. Amazing amazing review Brodie!!

    It's also selling pretty cheap at Big W. Hmm...I already have 5 books on my Christmas wishlist though. Is it right to throw another one into the mix?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah! I can't wait to get started on this book! You really sold me with the paragraph about Perry. ;) Looking forward to reading this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Woohoo, I have this one coming up soon so I didnt read your whole review. Just enough to know your expectations were well and truly exceeded and 5 apples!! I'm excited lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dude, DUDE. What's with the AMAZING review writing here? Jeez, I can practically feel the awesomeness of this book through your review alone. IMAGINE WHEN I ACTUALLY READ IT. God, I want this now!

    - Asher (from Paranormal Indulgence)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have bought this to read. Sounds great!!

    Glad you enjoyed it!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  18. YESSSSSSS I am in LOVE with this book<3333 I NEEEEEDDD book2 RIGHT NOW. RIGHT NOW. Fantabulous review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. *faints* Oh this books just killed me. Agree with every single word! <3 Perry! Roar! Aria! Characters + Plot = WIN. Great review ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great review! I'm really glad you liked it, even if you didn't love it quite as much as me! I didn't have your issues of being either confused over setting or the jumping in the end though. I know it's always a bit annoying when a book confuses you! I'm glad you're excited for the next one though! I think this series will be a really great one.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates