Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday #38

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Breaking The Spine where you can spotlight a book you're giddy with excitement to read so other people can be giddy with excitement too :)

Author: Ann Kelley
Release Date: July 10th 2012
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Add it: Goodreads
No parents. No rules. No way home.

Fourteen-year-old Bonnie MacDonald couldn't be more excited for a camping trip on an island off the coast of Thailand with her fellow Amelia Earhart Cadets-the daughters of the men and women stationed there during the Vietnam War. But when a strong current deposits the girls on what their boatman calls the "forbidden island," things take a turn for the worse: A powerful storm comes to destroy their campsite, the smallest of the junior cadets is found dead, and their boatman never returns. What once seemed like a vacation in paradise has become a battle against the elements.

Peppered with short, frantic entries from Bonnie's journal, Lost Girls is a page-turning, heart-pounding adventure story about a group of teen girls fighting for their lives


Author: Emmy Laybourne
Release Date: July 3rd 2012
Publisher: Fiewel and Friends
Add it: Goodreads

Fourteen kids. One superstore. A million things that go wrong.

A huge store isn’t the worst place to be stranded. There’s food and water, bedding and books. But what if it’s not safe to leave? Emmy Laybourne had us from the get-go with her utterly fresh and fast-paced debut.

Six high school kids (some popular, some not), two eighth graders (one a tech genius), and six little kids are trapped together in a chain superstore. Together they build a refuge for themselves inside, while outside, a series of escalating disasters, beginning with a monster hailstorm and ending with a chemical weapon spill, seems to be tearing the world—as they know it—apart.

Lost Girls: I love these kind of survival stories. A group of teen girls trapped on a 'forbidden island' with no way off? Um, awesome. I am really eager to see how these girls shape into survivors when braving the fierce environment around them...... well, from whoever makes it out alive, that is :|

Monument 14: Again, another story with a group of trapped kids who must fight to survive (clearly I was unintentionally channeling a theme when I chose these books). A much better place to be stuck together though, a chainstore full of food rather than an island, but I don't imagine the stakes will be any lower. Monster hailstorm? Chemical weapon spill? Scary!

What are you waiting on this Wednesday?

33 comments:

  1. Hmm, I don't think I'm that into Lost Girls, mostly because it reminds me of a female version of Lord of the Flies, and I really disliked that book. BUT, I am *totally* book crushing on Monument 14! I think being stuck in a huge mall or store or whatever it is (lol) is a lot more interesting than stranded on an island. There are so many things that can go wrong in a mall! Like every time I come to your blog, Brodie, I just added Monument 14 to my wishlist. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably wouldn't be into Lost Girls but Monument 14 looks really good. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lost Girls sounds a bit like a girly version of Lord of the Flies? Ha! Just notices Ashley's comment XD

    Monument 14 sounds slightly amazing... and I seriously love that cover. Where do you find these books?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is this a major FAIL as a bookworm to admit I have never read Lord of the Flies?? Although from the mixed opinions, I'd say maybe it's not such a bad thing haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Monument 14 sounds both scary and intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. monument 14...holy crap YES!!

    I'm hosting an exclusive cover reveal for TOUCHING THE SURFACE, by Kimberly Sabatini. Releases in 2012 from Simon Pulse! Come by and check it out and comment your thoughts!!!

    http://lindsaycummingsblog.blogspot.com/2011/11/wow-exclusive-cover-reveal-touching.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lost Girls looks pretty, but kind of scary. The book sounds quite interesting!

    I haven't heard of Momument 14, but it does sound interesting to me as well! Great cover though!

    Excellent choices! Thank you for sharing!

    New follower.

    Sam
    Books For All Seasons

    ReplyDelete
  8. The title and the synopsis sounds really gooood! definitely waiting for both title! Awesome picks!

    Here's my WoW pick
    Jay @ We Fancy Books

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lost Girls looks awesome. I've never heard of Monument 14, but it sounds pretty intense XP

    My WoW: http://theawesomemagicattic.blogspot.com/2011/11/waiting-on-wednesday-sweet-evil.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the pick!! The books sounds interesting, particularly Monument 14.

    Please check out my WoW too!
    http://forget8me8not.blogspot.com/2011/11/waiting-on-wednseday-6.html

    And my 50 followers giveaway!
    http://forget8me8not.blogspot.com/2011/11/50-followers-giveaway-blood-bound-by.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, Monument 14 sounds SO good! Love the cover too ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  12. You always find some really BRILLIANT books Brodie! These both sound absolutely KILLER. Thank you for putting them BOTH on my radar!

    Sammie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh man. Brilliant choices as I've never heard of these two books. Come visit me as well.

    Grace
    Livre De Amour-Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both of those sounds really good. o: I'm definitely putting them on my have-to-read list! No doubt. I love those stories too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like the cover for LOST GIRLS! I think it would be weird to read a book about a girl named Bonnie, though, lol! It was weird listening to people yell my name watching TOY STORY 3, for example! MONUMENT 14...I'm torn over this one. It sounds interesting, but not at the top of my list!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These both sound really awesome!! I'll definitely have to add BOTH of them to my TBR! Thanks for sharing!!

    Anna @ Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome picks! I actually hadn't heard of either of these , so thanks for sharing!! :)

    Happy Wednesday!
    Jessi @ Reading in the Corner

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been seeing Monument 14 a lot around the web in the last week. I'll have to check it out. Great picks!
    Em
    My WOW
    A Beautiful Madness

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like two great picks.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/11/waiting-on-wednesday_30.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Both of these look fantastic. More to add to the TBR list!!!! Thanks for sharing and thank you very much for stopping by my cover reveal today. Your comment made my day. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG! I always thought being trapped in a big supermarket or something in the middle of an apocalypse/disaster would be the best place. Now someone's gone and written a book about that!SO COOL. Will definitely be reading this one. Lost Girls sounds really intriguing as well. Fantastic picks as usual Brodie!

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  22. They both sound intriguing. Lost Girls as mentioned does sound a little "Lord of the Flies". Monument 14 sounds super intense.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Monument 14 sounds pretty interesting! Thanks for sharing :)
    New follower!
    Maryann @ Chapter by Chapter

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is the first that I have heard of Lost Girls. I just read Beauty Queens - also about being stranded but with a completely different take on it. I definitely will add Lost Girls to my TBR list is sounds like something I would like.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Whew, I'm having a Lord of the Flies kinda vision! These could be great!!!

    Our WoW is at Book Sake. -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  26. I haven't ever heard of either of these, but they both sound awesome. :) I love survival books, so I'll definitely be reading these! Great picks.

    -Kat (Midnight Reader)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sorry I viewed this post on Google Reader but never commented. I added both of these to my Goodreads right after I read about them. Thanks for picking them! I'm glad there are more of these kinds of books being released next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ohhh, how have I not heard of these??? Thanks for sharing, these will definitely be going on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Monument 14 sounds amazing! I'd never heard of it before, but it's definitely my kind of book. Lost Girls sounds pretty good too - a lot of great books releasing in 2012! Awesome picks :P.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm sensing you like... survival type stories? Am I close? :P

    I love the idea of Monument 14 more, just because it sounds awesomely different. Same survival-type theme, but executed in a unique way from the sound and look of it. And I really like the cover!

    Lost Girls seems like it would make me tense-up the whole type, and I so can't do too much tension right now xD

    - Asher (from Paranormal Indulgence)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates