Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday #40

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Breaking The Spine where you can spotlight a book you're giddy with excitement to read so other people can be giddy with excitement too :)


Author: Janet Edwards
Release Date: June 7th 2012
Publisher: Harper Voyager UK
Add it: Goodreads
2788. Only the handicapped live on Earth. While everyone else portals between worlds, 18-year-old Jarra is among the one in a thousand people born with an immune system that cannot survive on other planets. Sent to Earth at birth to save her life, she has been abandoned by her parents. She can’t travel to other worlds, but she can watch their vids, and she knows all the jokes they make. She’s an ‘ape’, a ‘throwback’, but this is one ape girl who won’t give in.

Jarra invents a fake background for herself – as a normal child of Military parents – and joins a class of norms that is on Earth to excavate the ruins of the old cities. When an ancient skyscraper collapses, burying another research team, Jarra’s role in their rescue puts her in the spotlight. No hiding at back of class now. To make life more complicated, she finds herself falling in love with one of her classmates – a norm from another planet. Somehow, she has to keep the deception going.

A freak solar storm strikes the atmosphere, and the class is ordered to portal off-world for safety – no problem for a real child of military parents, but fatal for Jarra. The storm is so bad that the crews of the orbiting solar arrays have to escape to planet below: the first landing from space in 600 years. And one is on collision course with their shelter.

Author: M. Beth Bloom
Release Date: July 24th 2012
Publisher: Harper Teen
Add it: Goodreads
There’s normal, and then there’s paranormal, and neither is Quinlan Lacey’s cup of Diet Coke.

Quinn’s life is a red carpet of weird fashions, hip bands, random parties, and chilling by the pool with her on-and-off BF Libby. There’s also her boring job (minimum wage), a crushed out co-worker (way too interested), her summer plans (nada), and her parents (totally clueless). Then one night she meets gorgeous James, and Quinn’s whole world turns crazy, Technicolor, 3-D, fireworks, whatever.

But with good comes bad, and unfortunately Quinn’s new romance brings with it some majorly evil baggage. LA is crawling with gangs of the undead, all aching to drain something. Now, to make things right, Quinn has to do a lot of things wrong.

Quinn’s goal: to stay sane, cool, in love, and alive.

With a one-of-a-kind protagonist, high-fidelity friendships, wicked LA nightlife, and a restless romance, this unforgettable debut from M. Beth Bloom is perfect for fans of Heather Brewer and John Green.
Earth Girl: I'm not sure if this is the final cover art or not, so keep your eyes peeled. There's also a German cover art released. I'm due for an engaging sci-fi read and Earth Girl fits the bill brilliantly! A futuristic, interplanetary (yet firmly grounded on Earth) story with deception, romance and a heroine who may be left alone on an entire freaking planet to brave a deadly solar storm? Um, yeah.... I. WANT. THIS. BOOK. Is it June yet?!

Drain You: Vaaaaaaaampires! *retracts fangs* This sounds like a fun vampy read. Well... maybe the undead hungering to drain all of L.A isn't so much fun, but Quinn sounds like she'll be an entertaining heroine to take us through the very wicked LA nightlife.

What are you waiting on this Wednesday?

33 comments:

  1. Drain You sounds awesome. I love the sound of the main character, and I am looking forward to some wicked LA night life. Great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great picks! I really want to read both of these books..they sound amazing!

    Happy reading and check out my waiting on Wednesday!
    http://sarahcatchingbooks.blogspot.com/2011/12/waiting-on-wednesday-23-embrace-violet.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drain You sounds fuuunnnnnn! Want this one!
    I'm a sucker for a vampire book. Ha! Sucker! Oh, I promise the crappy pun wasn't intentional, but I can't bring myself to remove it--it's so incredibly stupid it's hilarious (to me XD)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great picks! Earth Girl sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always such a privilege to find out what you're offering your fans week after week. I'm not sure what to make of Earth Girl but Drain You sounds like something up my alley. Thanks for sharing these, Brodie! :)

    Hope you can visit my WoW post this week:

    http://thetravelingreader.wordpress.com/2011/12/14/waiting-on-wednesday-8/

    Plus, my giveaway is still ongoing until 4 PM (Philippine Time) today:

    http://thetravelingreader.wordpress.com/2011/12/07/gift-card-giveaway-hop/

    Would love for you to join! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sound of both of these, especially Earth Girl. Great choices!

    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  7. Drain You sounds interesting! I haven't heard of these books, but Earth Girl sounds interesting too! Great picks! Thank you for sharing!

    Sam
    Books For All Seasons

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Harper Voyager UK cover art for Earth Girl is only temporary. I'm breathlessly awaiting the final cover art which should appear as my New Year present.

    Janet Edwards

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh and if anyone feels artistic, then why not pop over to www.voyagerbooks.com where Harper Voyager are challenging you to send them your version of a book cover for Earth Girl to feature on their blog. For those whose artistic ability is on the same level as mine, then don't worry, stick figures are still welcome.

    Have a wonderful Christmas, including plenty of great books to read.

    Janet Edwards

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOOOOOOO! I LOVE YOU AND YOUR LEGENDARY WoWs!
    I did a Top Ten Tuesday, although it's not Tuesday - the blog is American so it only got posted today! Hahahaha!

    Oh yeah... the post!!
    Both of these make me drool, these sound amazinggggg! I think I might start making a '2012 reads list' based on your WoWs. Yeah. So keep an eye out for some crazy comments on really old posts because I will be watching

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for your comment, Janet! I can't wait to see how gorgeous it will look with the final cover art! Earth Girl sounds AMAZING <3

    Taneika - LOL I welcome your crazy comments <3 And I can't wait to see if you do a 2012 reads list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohh I love your picks! two books that need to be added on my growing pile!

    Awesome pick!
    See my WoW picks here

    Jay @ We Fancy Books

    ReplyDelete
  13. Earth Girl is a great pick! It sounds so intriguing and I don't read enough science-fiction anyway.

    My WoW post

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both are great picks. This is my first time seeing Drain and it looks like a great read! Thanks for sharing it.
    My WOW at FABR: Once

    ReplyDelete
  15. Both of these sounds fun! I love Sci-Fi! Great read. My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  16. Earth Girl sounds soooo good! So good! The exact kind of book I've been looking for, actually. Drain You definitely sounds good too - I love that you described it "a fun vampy read" :P. Awesome picks, as usual! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. BRODIE!!! EARTH GIRL sounds awesome! Thanks for introducing it to me!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love vampires and Drain You sounds quirky and downright hilarious.

    - Asher (from Paranormal Indulgence)

    ReplyDelete
  19. They both sound captivating, enjoy!

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/12/waiting-on-wednesday_14.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Brodie, I can always count on you to bring the awesome with your picks. And also the anticipation of having to wait FOREVER for them. :P Earth Girl especially piques my interest, but I shall add these both to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Earth Girl is a book I haven't heard of. Great pick.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ooh, I like the sound of Earth Girl! Very interesting...
    My "WOW"
    .
    Romi.x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oohh sounds like awesome picks. That's the second Drain You I've seen this WoW!

    ------
    Giselle @ booknerd.ca
    Waiting on Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  24. LOVE the sound of both of these, especially the 2nd one. I love you Brodie. You find the best books ever.

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  25. Both definitely sounds great, but Earth Girl fits my current mood! I'm so intrigued! *adds to to-read shelf*

    What am I waiting on?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Holy crap Earth Girl sounds epic!! You're like the prime place to come to to discover new books haha. 2 amazing sounding picks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yay! So yesterday I was on Twitter saying that I'm glad to have found out about Earth Girl and then Kai says you have the same WoW Pick! ;) Our book tastes are so much alike! <3 the sound of both books. But I have to admit that I'm more excited about Earth Girl! You know me, dystopian girl. Awesome picks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I was so excited to read it! Thank you again!
    Oh, I don't know if your interested, but I've got a competition for three YA books going on my blog at the moment; Here's a link
    http://wherethewritercomestowrite.blogspot.com/2011/12/we-all-know-we-like-books-so-win-some.html

    No one's entered yet!
    Romi.x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wonderful WoW picks! I had to add them both... They kind of set a high standard for "Drain You" by stating that it features a "one-of-a-kind protagonist".

    I also love me some sci-fi :D

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you so much; that's very kind of you!
    Romi.x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Drain You sounds awesome, great pick! Here’s my WoW post! ~ Jen @ A Book and a Latte P.S. Have you heard of the 2012 YA Audiobook Challenge? Check it out :).

    ReplyDelete
  32. I only just recently heard about Drain You, but is sounds good, so I'll be keeping an eye on it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates