Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Waiting On Wednesday #41

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Breaking The Spine where you can spotlight a book you're giddy with excitement to read so other people can be giddy with excitement too :)

Author: Chris Colfer
Release Date: August 7th 2012
Publisher: Little, Brown Young Readers
Add it: Goodreads
Alex and Conner Bailey's world is about to change, in this fast-paced adventure that uniquely combines our modern day world with the enchanting realm of classic fairytales.

The Land of Stories tells the tale of twins Alex and Conner. Through the mysterious powers of a cherished book of stories, they leave their world behind and find themselves in a foreign land full of wonder and magic where they come face-to-face with the fairy tale characters they grew up reading about.

But after a series of encounters with witches, wolves, goblins, and trolls alike, getting back home is going to be harder than they thought.

 
Author: Jamie Case
Release Date: January 6th 2012
Publisher: Picayune
Add it: Goodreads
Almost seventeen-year-old Josephine Jack had it all: great parents, cool friends, and a crush on the cusp of something special. Then within the space of a few seconds, it was all gone.

Set adrift in an overwhelming afterlife, Jo is desperate to reclaim what she lost. When she accepts an assignment as a tutelary—a spirit guardian for the underage—it seems like her wish might even be granted. But on her return she discovers that nasty surprises await the departed who don’t stay departed. And as Jo grapples with betrayal, loss, and regret she will have to answer a most troubling question.

How do you find the meaning of life if you're already dead?

The Land of Stories: I think this will gain a lot of popularity in large part due to the author - Chris Colfer aka Kurt Hummel from Glee! But it also sounds SO good. I'm assuming it's middle-grade, which I don't ordinarily read a lot of, but having recently become obsessed with the tv show Once Upon A Time, I'm desperate for more fairy-tale style stories and this satisfies my hunger perfectly!

Death and Other Excuses: I love reading about anything that deals with the afterlife, so that's an instant hook. It sounds like it will deal with a lot of different emotional issues and I'm curious to see what those nasty surprises she discovers as a spirit guardian.... poor Jo!

What are you waiting on this Wednesday?

26 comments:

  1. Death and other excuses sounds really awesome! I'm curious about afterlife
    stories ( I dont think I've even read one before! Can you believe it?), ohh, now I feel like the only person who hasn't yet watched Glee and Once Upon A Time :( *sigh*whats gotten into me?!?!
    Great picks Brodie!! ( I think I'm going to have to start my very own 2012 to-read calendar, haha )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea Chris Colfer was writing a book! I will definitely be checking it out. :) Great picks this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh, Death And Other Excuses sounds slightly COMPLETELY AMAZING.

    And The Land Of Stories! Oh, it sounds amazing... Like, Inheartish? (talking of which, I need to READ that book, not just watch the movie >.<)

    Fab picks... just like always :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both of these books sound amazing!! I will have to check them out :)

    Happy reading and check out my waiting on Wednesday!
    http://sarahcatchingbooks.blogspot.com/2011/12/waiting-on-wednesday-24-wrecked.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. BOTH Sound AWESOME. I love stalking you ;D.

    AND OH MY GOSH my giveaway button is OVER THERE ---> !!!! hahah crayness :) I <3 you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both of these are new to me — thanks, Brodie! My TBR list keeps getting longer because of your WoW picks each week :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember hearing about Colfer's book a couple month ago. It sounds interesting.

    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have earned my eternal respect for churning such great books every week (but I already sound like a broken record for saying that every time, no? Hehe)
    Any MG book is always welcome for me (I enjoy them so much) so The Land of Stories will surely be included in my wishlist. As for Death..., the blurb is intriguing enough already that I'll be sure to look forward to it. :)

    Hope you can visit my WoW post, too:

    http://thetravelingreader.wordpress.com/2011/12/21/waiting-on-wednesday-9-2/

    - Mauie (The Traveling Reader)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know Chris Colfer was a writer! That's so neat. Great picks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Land of stories, sounds interesting...can't wait to see the cover for that book. Great picks :)


    check out my wow: http://shortandsweetreviews.blogspot.com/2011/12/wow-waiting-on-wednesday-20.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Land of Stories looks really good. Can't wait for it. Thanks for sharing. =]
    Here is My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both of the books sounds pretty good! This is my first hearing both. Great picks! Thank you for sharing them!

    Sam
    Books For All Seasons

    ReplyDelete
  13. Never heard of either of these but they both sound awesome!

    Visit My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Land of Stories seems promising! definitely looking forward for it! can't wait for the cover reveal yay~ Death and Other Excuses is very intriguing! definitely adding both books on my list ;)

    Awesome pick!

    My WoW picks here

    Jay @ We Fancy Books

    ReplyDelete
  15. Death and other excuses sounds really good - I've never heard of it before so thanks for sharing! :)


    Here's my WoW post for this week. :)

    Vicky
    Books, Biscuits & Tea

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeh I'll be a fangirl and say I'll read it cause of Glee. Mainly because I'm fascinated to see if he can really be that talented that he can write too! Love the reflection on the girl's face on Death and other excuses.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ohh I didn't know Chris Colfer wrote a book! So excited read his work. Yay! :D Death and Other Excuses sound really good too. Great picks!

    Pam | jellylovesbooks

    ReplyDelete
  18. So excited about Chris Colfer's book (ok, so maybe I just love Kurt, so what!?). I usually don't read middle grade, but I am going to read this one. I want to see the cover!

    Great choices Brodie!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope you enjoy! your choices.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/12/waiting-on-wednesday_21.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Chris Colfer's writing a book?! :O I didn't know! That's so awesome! And I love the sound of Death and Other Excuses too (the cover kinda freaks me out though :P). Great picks again, Brodie!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These books sound awesome! I CAN'T BELIEVE CHRIS COLFER IS WRITING A BOOK. Squeals!

    Sophia
    My WoW :)
    The Book Basement

    ReplyDelete
  22. I haven't heard of these ones, but I like the first one's cover! Cool!

    I read the first one and the last one myself, but listened to them all on audio as well, and my mother read about 5 of them to me and my siblings; I was only really little when they came up, but I suppose that was the first of my very strong love for HP!
    And I have watched all the movies, too, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hmm is it unfair for me to be sceptical about how much Chris Colfer actually wrote in 'his' book? :P Hadn't heard of the 2nd one before, but afterlife stories aren't really my thing. Will definitely be waiting for your review on this one

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  24. Brodie... you and me are too similar. Stop That Now. :p snnnk.

    I agree with you on both of your reasons for intrigue of these books! Especially Death and Other Excuses. Ahhhh. Thank you for putting another two awesome books on my radar. <3

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can't wait to find out what Chris can do with words on paper :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates