Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Team Ren vs. Team Shay - Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

Let's get ready to rummmmmmmmble!! The Valentine's Love Triangle Debates have officially begun and we aren't starting things quietly. 3 fierce battles will be posted on my blog today and another 3 on Lisa's, who is kicking off with a showdown between Xander and Ky from Matched! A full schedule of debates can be found HERE.

Now I present to you: The Wolf-Off. In one corner we have Kris making our pulse race for bad boy, Ren, and in the other we have Lieder, melting our hearts over Shay! Which boy... which wolf, is most worthy of Calla's affection?

Even if you haven't read the Nightshade series, vote for whichever guy has managed to steal your heart from the debates below! For every debate you vote in, you'll earn extra entries into the GIVEAWAYS!

Represented by: Kris from Imaginary Reads

The first thing that comes to mind when you think of Ren is bad boy. He’s dangerous, both as a fighter and as a lover. As a Guardian, Ren is someone you don’t want to meet in battle. He is a charismatic leader with the charm and intelligence to garner a following. One second, you’re his enemy; the next, he has your loyalty. As a guy, Ren is hot and sexy, a bit provocative, and very tempting. Even though Calla gives her heart to Shay, she can’t help but feel attracted to Ren. He is the alpha male with whom she’s been destined to be, and she can’t deny that she is not completely immune to his charms. If the Keepers weren’t so adamant on putting them together, Calla would have given him more of a chance from the start.

The bad boy air is all on the outside, even the cocky attitude that makes Ren so endearing. Inside, Ren is a boy in love. He could have any girl he set his eyes on, but he has always belonged to Calla. Only, she’s the one girl that he doesn’t know how to court. She is his equal as a fellow alpha, and she refuses to be seduced or wooed. Ren’s insecurity about Calla’s feelings breaks down his bad boy image to expose the sweet, caring character within. As a boyfriend and lover, Ren would protect his girl in any situation, be there when she needs his warm arms around her, and be his hot, sexy, witty self when they hang out. And he won't hesitate to give way before her whims when she needs him to do so.

This is what makes Ren a true alpha. He knows when to step forward and take charge, and he knows when it is time to back down. While he does press his feelings on Calla, he doesn’t overwhelm her. When he and Shay threaten to tear each other’s throats out over her and Calla tells them to back off, he is the first to listen to her. As much as Ren dislikes Shay, he always thinks of Calla first.

For Ren, it isn’t all about himself. It is about taking care of the girl he loves and giving her happiness, even if it means sacrificing his own. Even if it means taking all of the pain for himself. This is why Ren is the true man in my eyes. He knows what he wants, and he does what he must in order to protect the ones he cares about at his own expense.

TEAM SHAY
Represented by: Lieder from Songs and Stories

I am so excited to be part of this debate! The love triangle in the Nightshade series is one of the best ever in my opinion. Both Ren and Shay are likable and fascinating heroes, and unlike so many other triangles there is no clear winner at the beginning. In Nightshade, you don't know for a long time who will win the heart of Calla Tor, or which one you want to. At least, I wasn't sure until I fell for Shay. Here are my reasons why you should fall for him, too.

I think that an itemized list of his many attributes will do nicely to win you over to my point of view. After all, how can you withstand his charms when they are laid out before you?

5. Looks:

Shay is downright hot in the non-traditional sense. His hair is "brown with a slight shimmer of gold" that is often quite messy, what with all the trouble he gets in. His skin is tawny from time spent outdoors and he is lean and muscular despite being a scholarly type and a bit of a bookworm. I love a boy who reads. :) When he doesn't have his nose buried in philosophical texts and comic books he will be out hiking. His eyes are "the color of winter moss, a delicate shade that hovered between green and grey."

4. Past:

I love a guy with a mysterious past and Shay has one as mysterious as they come. An orphan living with an "uncle" who isn't human, being chased by people he has never heard of and whose motives he doesn't understand, with a strange tattoo on the back of his neck that he didn't know existed and can't see in the mirror. Add an ancient prophecy that labels him as the Scion and places him in the middle of a supernatural war and you've got Shay. It is fascinating to watch and see what he becomes.

3. Fighting Prowess:

Though he is only an ordinary teenage boy (at least at the beginning of the series), Shay is willing to fight beings of superhuman strength for the sake of Calla and himself. He thinks on his feet and has a mean way with a whip or a set of bookshelves, not to mention some other less than conventional weapons. By the end of the first book, his repertoire expands to include claws and fangs.One thing I love about Shay is that in a fight he trusts Calla to be able to handle herself and doesn't become overprotective at the slightest hint of danger.

2. Personality:

The first thing that really struck me about Shay is his sense of wonder. When faced with astonishing and frightening revelations about the world and himself, he reacts with curiosity and delight more than fear. When a wolf turns into a girl right in front of him, what does he do? He falls in love. He never stops asking questions despite the danger of learning certain secrets. He is quietly selfless, subtly strong and unceasingly determined. Shay also has wonderful sense of playfulness that just makes me want to smile.

1. Best for the Girl:

The one thing that made me fall for Shay more than anything else was that he is perfect for Calla. Ren may be the dark and dangerous bad boy that I usually go for, but he brings out the worst in Calla. Shay brings out the best. With Ren she is frightened, stressed, and unhappy even when things are going well between them. With Shay she is frightened, but not of him. He makes her see the world for what it is and encourages her to fight for herself and make her own choices. He makes her more human than wolf. Calla brings out the best in him, too. He loses his initial shyness and demonstrates a great deal of maturity. What makes him best for Calla, though, is that he trusts her completely. Even when they fight (which they do a lot) he trusts her without reservation and you can see how it changes her, makes her stronger.

Cute, smart, brave, loyal, determined, passionate and selfless...Shay sounds pretty awesome, right? So vote for him; he deserves it!


So readers, who do you think should end up with Calla in the end? Has the sexiness of the Alpha overshadowed the sweetness of the Scion? Or has your Ren-shaped heart shapeshifted into a Shay? I'm personally Team makes-my-heart-race Ren, but damn.... Lieder is making me remember all the reasons why I do love Shay!

Cast your vote below, enter the giveaway form and then battle it out amongst your fellow readers in the comments!  After filling in the form (you must fill it in once for every debate you want entries counted for - total 16) each comment you make will earn you entries!

Voting will remain open until the end of the month.






Now go over and show your love for Xander or Ky in Lisa's debate! *chants* KY! KY! KY!
Later today on my blog, prepare for Team Luc vs. Team Gabriel and Team Jem vs. Team Will!

58 comments:

  1. I haven't read this series yet but I already know I'm Team Ren! I like that he actually listens and he's the one I've seen people rooting for. I also like that apparently he's witty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *chants* Ren Ren Ren!!

    I'm already dreading choosing between Jem and Will. I've never felt so torn between two guy in a love triangle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG totally agreeing with you there. No idea how I could pick between my two Infernal Devices boys. D: D: D:

      Delete
  3. I didn't read the actual debates as I have only read the first book in this series and didn't want anything spoiled, but boy I am SO team Shay!:P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am Team Ren, but it is a very HARD choice. I haven't read Wolfsbane yet, have it sitting here. But, when I got to the end of Nightshade , due to where story was going, I felt Shay was going to come into play for me in Wolfsbane. Ren , I did worry may have a bit of his dad in him. If we are going on Nightshade, then I am Team Ren. He felt stronger and he was struggling I think with his love for Calla. It will be interesting to see how I feel after reading Wolfsbane. I told Andrea straight after reading Nightshade that she made it quite hard to choose. There is definitely something about Shay, secretive, more.


    This is fun:D

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh read Wolfsbane, Michelle!!! Didn't see as much of Ren as I would have liked in Wolfsbane :( But I'm itching to dive into Bloodrose as soon as I get a copy!

      Delete
  5. Dude, why would you vote for Ren? In Nightshade, he was a horny pig! TEAM SHAY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe!! Ren has something....

      Michelle

      Delete
    2. Hahaha, sounds like this debate is starting to get a bit dirty. ;) Guessing Shay isn't a horny pig in the books?

      Delete
    3. LOL! PSSSSSH. He can't help it if his stunning charisma comes with the curse of overactive hormones! REN FTW! :P

      Delete
    4. Lol, Brodie, I love your way with words! But Shay is nice! Ren, well.. isn't. *shrugs* Simple as.

      Delete
  6. Team Ren all the way. I still haven't read Wolfsbane...but I'm waiting on it. Judging by reactions of other Team Renians (???? that's what I'm going with :P), I'm not too sure if I'll be happy with the ending of the trilogy. I haven't read details, but the overall reaction seems to be people who are Team Ren aren't too happy about it. Anyway. I've always liked Ren more, except when I didn't know him...like when Shay was all over Facebook, which I figured was kind of a marketing scheme to get us to love Shay, which unfortunately didn't transfer for me when I started actually reading the book. :P

    I loved your argument Kris, way to represent Ren. :) For me, I never really liked Shay once I read about him. He seems like he only cares about himself, and he says he does everything for Calla, but I just saw him as selfish. He doesn't really care that things that seem small to him mean that she's throwing everything she knows out the window, and putting everyone she loves at risk. Someone who cares for you would never ask you to do something like that. I know he saw Calla as a slave, and she pretty much was, but he could have at least let her decide things for herself, and I just saw it as him pushing his ideals on her, which doesn't make him much better than the ones who brainwashed her before. Plus, I never liked his personality, he just seems like a really flippant guy to me. Ren is so loyal, and I think he's a lot more respectful of Calla. He knows her, she knows him, they're familiar, and I really like them together.

    Great event to have around Valentine's Day, Brodie! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I started out more Team Shay and have morphed into a Ren girl <3 But I suspect Bloodrose will mess with my heart all over again! I am terrified of how it will end though =\

      Thanks for sharing your own in depth thoughts about both boys! Seriously, I think the fans conflict my heart more than the actual boys themselves! :P

      Delete
    2. Wow, you put that really well. I don't exactly agree with you, but I can see exactly why you would have that opinion. I'm starting to doubt myself.

      How about Team Calla-finds-someone-new?

      Ok, maybe not.

      Delete
    3. @Brodie: Bloodrose is a heartbreaking and emotional roller coaster. o:

      Delete
  7. This is too easy . . . TEAM REN FOR SURE! Shay's got nothing on our sexy Ren.

    ReplyDelete
  8. REN!!!!! I seriously arrggghh.. the last book. I cried.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ren!! Always and completely Ren!! Aahh the last book killed me!!
    Pavan

    ReplyDelete
  10. By the middle of Bloodrose I was mostly Team Anti-Calla. I couldn't believe either of them were still putting up with her crap. If I had to go with one, I'd probably pick Shay, only because he didn't play games with her heart the way Rent did. Ren spent so much of his adolescents parading around his conquests in front of Calla, meanwhile she had to stay chaste and he did tend to be a bit possessive of her - like she really was his property.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh meep, sorry to hear you're Anti-Calla in Bloodrose! I'll be reading next month, hopefully, when it's released here in Aus.

      I was really torn in Nightshade, because the points you mention about Ren did bother me but over the course of time (possibly I've been swayed by crazy Ren fangirls haha) I've swayed over to him. Still a fan of Shay, though!

      Delete
    2. I was Anti-Calla too! I couldn't believe it either... She wasn't even fair. ;o Although I'm all for Ren still!

      Delete
  11. Aaaaah! Now I desperately want to read these damn books!

    Except that I know about the ending of Bloodrose... and I'm scared given that almost every voter here is team Ren :S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You saw the ending spoiler too? :( WAIT. This IS you... so did you accidentally stumble across it or purposely seek it out? *eyes supiciously* But seriously, still worth the read!!

      Delete
  12. Ren!!! I've always been TEAM REN!!! Can't stand Shay...

    ReplyDelete
  13. TEAM REN FOREVER!!! <3 I've always been intrigued with him from the first time I met him in the book and no matter what happens in Bloodrose *sobs*, I will always love him!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't read this one, and don't plan to either (DON'T KILL ME!!!) since I already know the ending :S But...REN sounds JUST LIKE MY TYPE OF GUY <333 Shay actually sounds pretty awesome as well...but a dark & dangerous bad boy who loves his girl more than anything is reallyyy touching <3 So...the verdict: TEAM REN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How come you don't plan to read this series? :O (and YAY for Team Ren!)

      Delete
    2. What Alice said!! SHIRLEY! You have to read them! I haven't read Bloodrose yet either, but I know how it ends and while I'm still tormented, I NEED to read because it's such a good series <3

      Delete
    3. Girls, girls, calm down! Kidding! Tastes differ, we can't kill Shirley for that!

      Delete
    4. I admit I haven't read them either, but they're sitting on my shelf and I DEFINITELY plan to read them (hopefully this year) because I've heard suuuuch good things about them. <3

      Have you got hold of a copy of Bloodrose yet, Brodie?

      Delete
    5. Buahaha, it's okay giddusadik, we're Team Ren too, so we don't plan to kill her! But... uh... I can't speak for the Team Shay fans. I mean, strictly speaking, decapitation or staking isn't really illegal in these parts of the Blogosphere :S

      Not yet, Alice! I was tempted to grab a copy from the Book Depository, but my TBR is crying at me because of it's size already. So I'm waiting until next March when it's released here in Aus. Except waiting brings with it spoilers =\

      Delete
    6. Bet you're glad that you'd holding a copy of it now yeah? ;) ;) SO JEALOUS.

      We'll let Shirley off for now simply because she's Team Ren. Hehehe.

      Delete
  15. Ahhh, haven't read the books yet but Ren just seems like the ideal guy. ;) Judging by what was said above, he seems like the perfect match for Carla. TEAM REN!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't read this series yet, but I sure will for the sake of this love triangle! As good as Shay sounds, I think I'd go for Ren, he sounds even better :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. REN REN REN! :D No doubt about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im So Totally 100% With U on that! TEAM REN!!!!

      Delete
    2. Im So Totally 100% With U on that! TEAM REN!!!!

      Delete
  18. OH MY GOSH, REN! Ren, Ren, Ren, Ren... At the end of Bloodrose, I actually kind of liked Shay too -- but my heart will always go out to Renier Laroche! (He has a very cool name, by the way!) <3 Although Lieder is making it really hard not to appreciate Shay! x)

    No! I'm sticking with Ren! That's my final say! :P

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my god, this is so much fun! I wish I had argued for someone now!

    I voted for Shay. I've only read Nightshade (though it was a while ago), and despite Ren being sexy, I didn't like him. He seemed arrogant, and expected to get his own way - now, I know he's an alpha, but that doesn't mean he can act almost dictator-ish when it comes to Calla.

    Granted, as I said, I've only read Nightshade, so I may change my mind when I read Wolfsbane. I am SO looking forward to seeing if I do, because I do like myself a good bad boy! And Kris did make a good argument which makes me think he get better, which shouldbe fun. But based on what I've read, Shay.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This was hard for me because I haven't read this series yet, but I voted for Ren. I can't resist a bad boy. Plus, he seems to fit with Calla! Though Shay does sound pretty awesome too, it has to be said.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm voting for Ren! Always Ren! I loved Shay too, but Ren was always the one for me. Although I'm not sure Calla ever deserved him, sadly. ._. I'm disliking her a lot by now! But if I'm going with my fave; Rennnnn.

    ReplyDelete
  22. the book is on my TBR pile so i'm not sure but i would say shay

    ReplyDelete
  23. TEAM SHAY AND PROUD! Yes, I know that I am in the minority here, and yes, Ren is the dangerous, sexy, bad boy that most girls (including me) normally fall for, BUT Shay is definitely the kind of guy that could make me fall head over heals in love. He reads and loves books, he's very intelligent, and a bit of nerd. And he's incredibly good looking. Yes, he's definitely my kind of guy. <3

    ReplyDelete
  24. Another series I haven't read...the gorgeous boys I'm missing out on! I feel such shame, lol! While I do like a bad boy and my opinion might change when I finally read this...based on this debate I voted Shay. The way Lieder describes him had me swooning! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Go Team Ren!! I am proud to be presenting him :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hmmm. I only read the first book in this series before I lost interest but.... Ren, Ren, REEENNN. I remember he was hot stuff and he totally has my vote!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Team Shay all the way! Nice to see that some people agree with me. :)

    @Kelly Exactly!

    @Baggins I hoped it would! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I was team Shay all the way, but after reading this post I think I'm leaning towards Ren!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Grrr. Love both of them. But so far Shay seems like the best. Maybe that will change when I've read Bloodrose

    ReplyDelete
  30. Just finished Nightshade - Team REN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. So I haven't read Nightshade yet, but I'm going with Shay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ren for sure. I want to love Shay more but I just can't!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This was a really hard one. I really like Ren with the whole bad boy thing going on on the outside, but his true love of Calla on the inside. But I really like Shea too, because he really stepped up and tried to be as supportive as possible to Calla while also showing her that he could be just as much as an Alpha male as Ren was. So, for me, Shea is it (at least this time!)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Awwwwwwwwww, that was such a good post for Ren! <3 That's basically exactly what I think of him and Kris was so eloquent in her explanation. REN <3

    Like you said though... Lieder makes a pretty damn convincing case! It's like all of the reasons I actually like Shay were brought together in one post.

    Awesome job, girls! I'm still not sure who I'll be voting for :/

    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  35. Since I've only read Nightshade, I'm stuck between the two. But looking at this debate, I realise that I really prefer Ren over Shay. The bad boy just got to me :P

    ReplyDelete
  36. Bad boys in stories? That's a yes for him.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates