Thursday, February 2, 2012

Valentine's Blog Event: Amalie Howard Love Story + Excerpt!


Boy have I got a double shot of love for you today! Amalie Howard has graciously stopped by to not only make us swoon into a puddle of goo with her own story of love at first sight, but then gets us hot and heavy with a smokin' hot teaser from BLOODCRAFT, the sequel to her stunning debut, Bloodspell. A dark and sexy novel of witches and vampires, which I absolutely loved!

Fan letters to both Christian (lead male in Bloodspell) and Amalie's husband (the romantic Aussie) may be sent to her via email after you finish reading this post. But I suspect there's a chance her inbox may overflow, so you're welcome to try the stalking option.


Love at First Sight 

Valentine’s Day is unequivocally about love, so my guest post is going to include two stories about love: my own love story and a steamy sneak peek from the BLOODSPELL sequel, so hang on to your hats, folks.

As an author who writes in the YA paranormal romance genre, I receive a lot of comments and feedback about the infamous “insta-love.” You know, that it doesn’t really happen that way in real life or people come together far too quickly in books for it to be believable. However, I must beg to differ because I fell in love at first sight.

The future love of my life and I had never met before. We didn’t go to high school together or sit in the same Biology class. We weren’t even from the same country! The night I met the ONE was like any other frosty evening in early February 1999, several days shy of Valentine’s Day. As was my Friday night routine, I was getting ready to go out on the town with my best friend. We weren’t at all in the mood, given that we were leaving to go to the Caribbean on vacation at 5am the next day, but we were young and not about to waste a perfectly good Friday night staying in. Plus, we’d been invited to a birthday party at a trendy lounge on the lower East Side of NYC.

A couple hours later and ensconced in the lounge, there was some commotion at the door where five tall and very handsome boys were trying to sweet-talk their way in to the private party (the owner’s birthday). They did so easily, and undoubtedly because of their looks and hot Australian accents … the hostess simply had no chance. Later on in the evening, over a pool table and some witty banter, I noticed one of the Aussie boys staring at me. He was tall and blond and so not my type, but I still said to him, “If you’re going to stare like that, you may as well come over and introduce yourself.” Yes, that’s how I rolled back then. With a raised eyebrow and a smile, he walked over and did as asked.

At first, I thought I’d been wrong and he was really interested in my best friend, so I walked away to chat with another friend. But eventually, he found me, and then we started talking. Our time together was incredibly short and before I knew it, we were outside, exchanging emails and phone numbers and saying goodbye. It was so bittersweet. I’d just met this amazing guy, and he lived a gazillion miles away in London. And I was leaving to get on a plane in an hour. Could the fates be more cruel?

But then it happened—the magic that makes the impossible, possible.

I leaned up to kiss him goodbye on the cheek, and he turned his head at the last moment, meeting me on the lips. Hello, exploding stars, sun, moon and everything else in the sky! You know in old movies where the girl’s leg raises backward with a magical kiss? I kid you not that the very same thing happened to me. And if I didn’t admit it right then that I was falling for him, I certainly did when I got home and the phone rang—it was he, calling to make sure I’d gotten home okay. He’d walked two blocks from his hostel to use a pay phone at five o’clock in the morning to call me. If that isn’t love, I don’t know what is.

Even though he lived in London and I lived in New York, we weren’t ready to let each other go just yet … all it took was that one single kiss to seal our fates. Over the next few months, we spoke every day and our long-distance relationship blossomed. He visited, I visited, and eight months later, we got engaged and he moved to NY. One year later, we were married, and this year, we will celebrate our twelfth year of marriage! My husband often tells me that he knew from that very first night that I was the one for him.

Hope you enjoyed my story, and for all you naysayers on falling in love at first sight, it can and does happen. I’m living proof. Open your heart and see what happens. Life is full of surprises … wonderful ones. You just need to be receptive to them. So rock on, insta-lovers, and Happy Valentine’s Day 2012!



SNEAK PEEK FROM BLOODCRAFT
Don't worry, it's not spoilery, but plentyful sexy!

“Kiss me then, already,” Victoria said, her voice hoarse. Christian obliged, bending his head and brushing his warm lips across hers, but she pulled away until only their fingertips were touching.
“Not that way, the other way,” she said breathless. This way.  
Her mental voice was a coaxing caress. Christian’s eyes burned silver as she slipped past the doors of his mind, her essence twirling around his consciousness, so seductive, it overtook him in seconds. She was like liquid fire, touching everywhere inside of him all at once. He returned her illusory caresses until she slid her hand up his arm and he broke away, the friction of her fingers nearly combustive.  
What’s wrong? Victoria thought gently.
Christian stared at her flushed cheeks, his free hand cradling her jaw. All he wanted to do was to pull her into his arms and kiss her for real—kiss her until neither of them could speak. But it was far too dangerous. The reality was neither of them could be trusted when things got heated—her treacherous blood couldn’t be trusted—so they’d had to settle for something more controlled, less risky. But as intense as the mental thing was, nothing could surpass the feel of physical contact, the feel of her skin against his, her breath mingling with his … her taste …  
I want … Christian stared into her luminous green eyes, his natural vampire magnetism compelling despite himself. His gaze dropped to her lips recklessly. More.  
Victoria blinked, responsive, and for an instant Christian thought he saw a shimmer of black flash in her eyes, but when she looked up, only their green warmth enveloped him.  
Yes, they said.
Desire and hunger spun into the perfect storm as Victoria slid her fingers against his nape and held his head captive to hers, Christian’s lips and mouth recreating every scorching step of their earlier mental exchange. He kissed her cheek, her jaw, her ear, inhaling her scent and descending lower, pressing into the taut column of her neck as she arched toward him lost in sensation.  
Her throat, so beautiful, so close …  
Her blood was singing, the dusky flush spiraling under her skin, the warm earthy smell of her intoxicating. Christian leaned in, his teeth grazing the translucent rose-tinted skin. His jaw tightened. He could feel her pulse humming beneath his lips, louder and louder, inviting him in.  
All his desires coalesced into a single, insistent command.
Take it.
_________

Need a bucket of cold water after that? Get in line!!
Thank you SO much for sending our hearts into overdrive, Amalie!! <3

T

This is the second letter you'll find for the Scavenger Hunt!

And don't forget to stop by Lisa's blog where she'll be revealing an exclusive deleted scene from EVERNEATH by Brodi Ashton! 

Full schedule of events can be found HERE. Be sure to enter the Comment Giveaway on that post so that all of your comments now count to winning some amazing prizes!

36 comments:

  1. Ooooohhhhh how romantic for Amalie. Why can't THAT ever happen to us, Brodie? haha. Guess we'll just stick to book boys at the moment. Anyway great post and excerpt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW, right?! Apparently all the romantic Aussie guys are hiding out in London and NYC... did we do something to scare them away? haha. Ah well, our ink and paper boys will do the job for now <3

      Delete
  2. Awwwwww...THAT IS SO ROMANTIC!!!! I want to experience the same thing too! And LOVE at FIRST SIGHT? *sigh* And oooooo, ME LOVE THAT SNEAK PEEK although I haven't read the first book! AWESOME POST, Brodie! ♥

    Celine @ Forget-me-not

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang. Mind kissing too. :o This book may have to be my date for Valentine's. XD

    ReplyDelete
  4. You girls are going to kill me! All these books that I now need to read! Aaah! So I need to look up Bloodspell, because I kind of need it now. And Amalie's own love story is just so sweet! So awesome! Lucky girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, so sweet! Why does everyone have a hunky Aussie on their tail and not me, damnit?!?

    And I need not say a single thing about that excerpt. I nearly full-on combusted. It was crazy.

    - Asher (from Paranormal Indulgence)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness. *fans self* Brodie, I need that bucket of water ASAP! Those scenes from the book and from Amalie's own love story were just so intensely yet adorably sweet! This is one of those books that I can't believe I've never heard of before but now I REALLY wish I had a copy of it in my hands now! x)

    Amazing post, Brodie!! <3 And you rock too, Amalie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. HOW IS IT ONLY DAY 2?! My heart is going to explode before the month ends!

    I knew all the good guys were Australian. Lucky you, Brodie ;) And that excerpt! *long sigh* That was... something alright.

    Okay. I'm off to find a bucket. Thanks, Amalie!

    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG that's SO romantic. Like seriously, ridiculously romantic. I wish *I* had a romantic story like that, but I didn't even like my boyfriend when I first met him...haha.

    Loving this event Brodie!

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  9. That story made me awww so much :). It's nice that sweet things like that still happen in the world. As for the excerpt...wow. Just...yeah. Wow. Thanks so much for the post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww such a lovely story! I swear if you hadn't said this has actually happened, I would have thought it was the plot of the next Hollywood rom-com. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww damn. I nearlly cried. Now why can't that happen for me :( Love your love story Amalie and that excerpt. Mmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ummm...Wow...I don't even have words....Definitely more of these please :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw that is so incredibly sweet! Makes you wonder why it doesn't happen to you. Thanks for sharing that--I loved hearing about it =D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww your story is sooo freaking cute, Amalie! If only something like that would happen to me haha! Not to mention the excerpt is so hot. so so so hot. Like wow. I really need to read Bloodspell if all the romantic scenes are going to make me blush like that! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay for real life insta-love!! It was like that for me with my husband too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awwwwwwww...that is SO SWEET <333 *sigh* Why can't things like that happen to me?!?!? You know, a few years ago I believed in love at first sight, then recently I somehow decided that falling in love at first sight just DOES NOT HAPPEN, but NOW, I believe that it CAN HAPPEN (again!). Omgg that excerpt! I WANT MORE! Looks like I have to go read Bloodspell IMMEDIATELY<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahha, don't you love it when your text gets formatted into the attempts of a URL. :P

      MAYBE IT CAN HAPPEN! EEEEEEE. <3 <3

      Delete
  17. The sneak peek is so sexy! OMG I have to add Bloodspell + sequel to my TRB pile - that was AMAZING - I want more face smooching! >_<

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much everyone! You know, I didn't believe it would happen for me. I had just come out of a very tumultuous relationship (after a string of really bad ones) and my husband was fresh out of a five year relationship. I'd literally sworn off boys, and he was out experiencing life as a single guy. We both weren't looking for anything, but Fate, it seemed, had other plans for us. All I can say is to just stay open because you never know when you're going to be swept off your feet. I sure didn't! :)

    I'm so glad you all enjoyed the Bloodcraft teaser!!! I needed a bucket of ice myself after I wrote it, but figured I needed to give Brodie and Lisa something steam-worthy for their fabulous February event!

    Thanks for all your comments and for being so terrific! You guys ROCK! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Zomg, zomg, zomg!!! SQUEEE!!! Love the post! I can't wait for Bloodcraft. I really do hope that these two will stick together until the end. <3 How can they not be for each other?? The sexual magnetism between them is just TOO strong! Love the scene. Best kissing scene ever! Thanks Brodie and Amalie for this!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my god that is an absolutely amazing story. <3 WOW. How is it that the hot guys with Aussie accents don't stay in Australia?? Seriously though, that is really beautiful. I guess I never believed in insta-love when it occurred in books because I thought it wasn't realistic but I guess this opened my eyes. Thanks so much for doing this Brodie!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aww, that story from Amalie is so sweet! It sounds like it's straight out of a film but in real life, it's so much better. I've never heard of Bloodcraft but if there are more scenes like that, I think I will be a fan! It was a really great and swoony worthy scene. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. *sigh* see, now there's a beautiful love story. Gosh, I wish I heard more of those these days. The world needs more love stories. :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my goodness, that personal love story was sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That's a pretty interesting scene!

    ReplyDelete
  26. The scene is interesting... makes me really curious about the book.

    ReplyDelete
  27. So romantic, your story make lme cry and i can only hope to have this luck one day

    thanks you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  28. N'aww, a romantic love story and steamy kissing scene all in one! Woohoo! I don't always like 'insta-love' either, but I do believe in love at first sight...I guess I just have to believe in the love, and sometimes I don't always feel it, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Phew, hot stuff! Loving that teaser. Amelie's true-life story is so sweet too. I'm with her on believing in love at first night because it happened to me too. It sounds weird but it wasn't just a physical attraction-something about his eyes and smile and mannerisms just told me he was a lovely person and I knew I had to get to know him. When I did I discovered he was even better than I imagined and this will be our 5th valentine's day together :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Holy crap, that was wow! So sweet! <3 Next time I go to Australia, I'm snagging myself an Aussie of my own! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops. I'm supposed to be commenting under Jenelle Riane, but I don't really know how to delete this comment. :/

      Delete
  31. Ahh! This Valentines Event is killing my TBR pile. I just added ANOTHER book to it! Anyways great post (: and I love your story, it was amazing (:

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh my.. this seems like the only paranormal book i'll like to read, seriously.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates