Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Valentine's Blog Event: Author Interview - Hannah Harrington

I am so excited to have Hannah Harrington joining us today! I absolutely LOVED her debut novel, SAVING JUNE.  It's funny and touching and such a beautifully constructed novel. AND did I mention there's a road trip? And lots of awesome music? And snappy dialogue? And sexual tension? And that I laughed? And maybe shed a few tears? Seriously, I really really, really urge you all to go grab a copy. You will not regret it!

I love her answers in this interview. She's such an intelligent, inspiring and sweet young woman! Read on, fall in love with her and then dash out of the house to get your paws on Saving June :)
Author Interview - Hannah Harrington

What’s the first thing you notice about a someone who you’re attracted to?
As far as physical features go, I really love someone who has striking eyes. When it comes to personality, I'm really attracted to intelligence. Smart is sexy!

Do you prefer the bad boy or good guy?
Both have their pros and cons. I like "bad boys" with an edge to a certain degree, as long as they don't treat you badly or are mean to you-- no girl should put up with that past the second grade, when boys are too dumb to express that they "like" like you any other way than pulling your pigtails on the playground. And "nice guys" are great so long as they don't expect anything from you in return just for being nice or your friend. Entitlement isn't sexy! Really, whether "bad" or "good", respect is important!

What is your favourite YA romance?
I really love the relationship between Jessica Darling and Marcus Flutie in Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty.

What was your thought process on how the romance between Jake and Harper would develop?
I tried to think specifically of a dynamic that would work for Harper-- the kind of person she would be attracted to and the kind of person who would bring out something new in her. And vice versa for Jake. It was very much a push-pull thing going on, and even with all of the butting of heads and banter, I wanted them to challenge each other in good ways. They both get under each other's skin. They're not perfect people but they're perfect for each other!

If you could go on a road trip, what places would you love to see? Who would you go with?
I've gone on a lot of road trips, but I think I'd want to go from northern California all the way down into Mexico. Driving on the coast is wonderful. I'd probably take one or two of my best friends, since you always want to road trip with someone you can stand to be around for long periods of time!

If you could only play one song on the road trip, what would it be?
One time on a road trip with a friend of mine I played "All These Things I've Done" by The Killers for probably three hours straight. How she didn't murder me, I don't know. So I'll pick that one! It's fun to sing along to.

What was your favourite scene to write in Saving June?
This is a hard one! I'd probably say the scene where Harper and Jake dance in the jazz club. I think it's a tipping point for both the characters and their relationship. It's the first time Harper is actually enjoying herself and Jake's company, and they're still teasing each other but there's no hardness behind it. Plus added sexual tension! It was a fun one to write.

What’s the most romantic thing someone has ever done for you?
In real life, I actually am not into typical big romantic gestures. But one time on a first date with a boyfriend of mine, we were standing outside looking at the stars, and we didn't kiss, but I think we both wanted to but were a little too shy. A few dates later in his driveway, he stopped me to look at the stars again, and confessed that he'd wanted to kiss me that first time. And then he made up for the first missed opportunity. It was a little swoon-worthy!

How would you describe your ideal first date?
The where and the what don't matter so much as the who! As long as there's good conversation, I'm happy. Good food is also a plus.

Thank you so much for having me on your blog!

 Blog / Twitter 
"Smart is sexy!" - Yes, yes and YES! And aw geez, I think she made me a little swoony with the her answer to the most romantic thing a guy has done. Le sigh. And talking about Harper and Jake is really making me want to go reread the book. Anyway, thanks so much for stopping by, Hannah! <3 And on a final note:

nolite te bastardes carborundorum

If you want to gain full appreciate for that, go read the book ;)

Now run along to read a super awesome interview with the wonderful Marissa Meyer on Lisa's blog where she also reveals some details about the sequels to CINDER!

E
 I'm lonely and separated from my alphabet companions, collect me in the name of Scavenger Hunt!
Full schedule of events can be found HERE.

27 comments:

  1. I LOVE SAVING JUNE! :)

    I cried and laughed many times reading this. I loved the road trip, Jacob, Laney, Harper, and Jacob's friendship, the songs, and their conversations. Aaah.. everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG OMG OMG! I'm still crazy obsessed with Saving June (and think I will be for a LONG time), and Eeeeee! I loved this interview so so much! Aaaah! The jazz club scene! Johnny Coltrane in the car! Thank yooooou! I'm in a happy fangirl place. Errr, literally! I'm curled up in bed, with this to read! Bed is a wonderful place, and Hammah Harrington! *arms flails*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ughh I haven't read it yet, but I remember when there was a blog tour and everyone seemed to love it a lot! :D It's definitely on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is the first time I hear about Saving June. (I know I know... where have I been?!!) However I'm already sold! Thank you for the great interview! I'm going to update my wishlist immediately!>_<

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is going to be released in the UK soon, I think. Mira Ink had fans vote for their fave out of four possible covers for it on Facebook, so I'm sure that's a good sign that it'll be coming soon. It sounds so good! Thanks for the interview! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome interview, Brodie! I really loved Saving June. Aaaahhhh the jazz club scene . . . such a classic and romantic scene!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree Smart is definitely sexy. And for me the bad boy outside with the good guy inside is perfect! If only I could find him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG I *loved* this book so much. But grrrr if it's gonna be released in the UK; I already bought the American one!! Smart definitely IS sexy. I can't wait to see what else Hannah comes up with.

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a nice book! And Hannah Harrington is really nice, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. AAAAA...I LOVED SAVING JUNE A LOT!!! And I LOVE HANNAH's ANSWERS IN THE INTERVIEW! <3 I haven't read Jessica Darling series but I've heard great things about it! And this 'nolite te bastardes carborundorum' le sigh!!! <3 Awesome interview, Brodie! Thank you so much for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Smart is sexy!" <-- LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!! Hannah, I think you might be a genius yourself because that is SUCH a perfect statement! x) And I agree with you completely about the ideal date situation! I think it's the boy, the conversation, and being comfortable and having fun with each other that makes a date perfect. It can be the perfect date at the dumpster if the boy is great enough! ;)

    Amazing interview, you two awesome people!! <3 I've been planning to read Saving June but I now I want to even more because knowing that the author is so much fun always makes me even more eager to read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great interview, I have had Saving June on my to-read list for such a long time, I really need to get a copy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohh, she totally made me swoony too! I love ittt. I'm not really a fan of the too big romantic gestures IRL, but I love those smaller ones... <3 So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely loved the interview. This book is sitting on my shelf just begging me to read. Sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the answer for the last question. :D Who is really that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved Saving June and I LOVED this interview!

    ;)

    nolite te bastardes carborundorum <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great interview! I haven't read Saving June yet, but is sounds good! And yup, smart IS sexy! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. I totally agree with her in the last question! And good food is always a plus :)
    Saving June seems to be a nice read!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Smart is definitely sexy. How else will they hold up in battle of wits? :P. I also agree with the last question - especially the good food part! Thanks for the great post :).

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG OMG OMG I neeeeeeeeeed to read this book! <3 <3 I've heard so many good things about it. Naw...the romantic thing that happened to her is soooooooooooo cute. <3 I want a guy like that! Kissing under the stars is one of the best places to share a kiss. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. "A little swoon-worthy," Try a lot, love that story, so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Woah! Some people are fricken crazy over this book. I think thats a good sign though so... And I'll have to try Sloppy Firsts as well.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ahhh this is my favorite interview you've done so far! I adored Saving June and I loved Hannah's answers, especially the "smart is sexy" part! It's what my mom always tells me haha! And I so agree about the ideal first date -- it's definitely not a good date if there's like, awkward conversation :) Awesome interview!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've had Saving June on my shelf for a while now...I'm going to have to get it read and soon! Sounds fantastic! Great interview - I love her response to the bad boy/good guy conundrum, haha! And her most romantic moment! Sah-woon! That is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'll have to agree with most of her answers! It's so cute how they were both so shy!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It was a great book. Jake was so sexy. I actually thought it was a wonderful love scene in the book. So many times in books their is so much sexual tension going on between the characters and then the love scene is like one sentence long, but this one had a lot of detail, and left you feeling satisfied.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates