Saturday, February 25, 2012

Valentine's Blog Event: Guest Post - Katie Kacvinsky

Today I have the pleasure of welcoming Katie Kacvinsky, author of AWAKEN and the upcoming FIRST COMES LOVE. While I'm ridiculously eager to read both of these, after stalking her website I discovered one of her first books was actually one of swear words, appropriately titled,  "The Book of Swear Words". In grade 3. Which she proudly showed to her teacher. Suffice it to say, that book is destroyed. And she was put on a two week playground ban. But it's legacy lives on, because I now officially love this woman.

So I'm crazy excited to share with you her thoughts on the MALE MIND. That scary enigma that intrigues us ever so much. And Katie has plenty experience probing this confusing, attractive species!
 Katie Kacvinskey - Guest Post

Dissecting the Male Mind…

It’s something all women love to do, right? We spend hours trying to decipher what all their subtle behaviors mean. Well, I’ve had the privilege (and challenge) of having a lot of guy roommates in my life. In college I lived with six guys. When I was twenty-one, I lived in a house with nine guys, yes, NINE, and I was the only girl. Let’s just say, all this one-on-one time with so much collective testosterone has given me quite a bit of writing material. It also gave me the opportunity to observe guys—how they communicate, how they handle confrontations and how they deal with relationships (and how they really don’t understand how to clean a bathroom or kitchen).

So, when I wrote First Comes Love, my goal was to tackle emotionally heated issues from the male perspective—issues on family, loss, friendship, sex, love and independence. The story flips narratives between Gray and Dylan, and they learn that love is a lot more than butterflies in your stomach. It’s more than asking what someone’s favorite color is, or what they want to be when they grow up. Love is about asking the tough questions. It’s about loving someone even when they make it extremely hard to love them.

Here’s what Gray learns about relationships, which he explains to a friend in the story:

“I don’t know much, but this is what I’ve learned. You’ll fall for the last person you ever thought you’d be interested in. That’s the tricky part. You might not even notice her at first. And she usually comes around just when you’ve stopped looking. But if you pay attention you’ll know it’s her because she’ll stand out from everybody else. She might even scare you. But if you’re lucky enough to meet this girl, be smart enough to realize it and try not to screw it up.”

How did Gray come to this realization? You’ll have to read the book to find out. :) Happy Valentine’s Day.

She lived with NINE guys?! I'm not sure whether to be thrilled by that prospect of absolutely terrified. Perhaps a little of both ;) I can imagine the inspiration she gained from the experience though! Something I can't wait to see reflected back on Gray in First Comes Love! But oh, I love how she describes love. She's made me even more excited to read this now!


E
  This is your final letter to collect! Make sure you go back over both mine and Lisa's posts for every blue letter and then unscramble the words to enter the Scavenger Hunt Giveaway! 
Full schedule of events can be found HERE.

25 comments:

  1. HOLY MOLY. NINEEEEEE guys?!?!?! That's ALMOST like Storm come to life! XD That's CRAZY!! This looks like it's going to be a really good book though.

    PSH. She should have had that book of swear words PUBLISHED! Muah ha ha. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha ALMOST!! Oh boy. Don't feed my imagination such delicious delights. But oh, Brodie wants First Comes Love! *grabby hands*

      Buahaha I was thinking the same thing! Teachers these days, no appreciation for talent :P

      Delete
    2. Gahhh I want the book so much as well. <3 It looks like it's going to be AMAZING.

      Nup, no appreciation at all. :P BOOK OF TALENT, RIGHT IN THEIR FACE, sorry you got yourself a two week playground ban (WHAT? ==).

      Delete
  2. HOLYYYYYY CRAP! NINEEEE FREAKING GUYS??? Goshhh send some my way! Going to an all-girls school means I'll probably NEVER be able to dissect a male's mind!

    heheeee I LOVE how you're introducing me to all these awesome new books <3 Never heard of First Comes Love before..but I'M SO EXCITED FOR IT NOW :DDDD

    Oh and this part: "You’ll fall for the last person you ever thought you’d be interested in." IS SOOOO TRUEE!!!!! (or at least according to all my YA books + my fav. movies!) Fantastic post <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHHHHHHHHHHHH. I know EXACTLY how you feel! I'm at an all-girls school as well and I never get those kinds of opportunities. XD That's why I need all the HOT YA guys I can get! <3

      Delete
  3. I haven't any of Katie's books. Not sure they're my kind of books but I loved that guest post! It was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really excited to read, First Comes Love! Thanks for the guest post, I haven't heard much about this book or the author since I first heard of it, so thanks for the great post! What she said about love was so sweet! I'm just gonna go.. *teary*

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that's one i want , i want !

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was such a great post :). I love what Katie wrote, especially, "It’s about loving someone even when they make it extremely hard to love them." And living with nine guys, wow. That must have been an experience! :P Thanks for this! Can't wait to read First Comes Love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think my heart just melted after reading Gray's description of relationships. I can only imagine the stories Katie has after living with that many guys, talk about a treasure trove of material. I fell in love with Awaken, can't wait to read First Comes Love!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nine guys?!? OMG, I could barely stand sharing a room with my brother for so many years, I can't imagine living with so many guys. lol

    I haven't read Katie's books, thanks for introducing me to them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG I cannot imagine living with that many guys. I lived with 2 in my second year of uni and the mess they generated....so NINE OF THEM? *faints* Great post though, love the sound of this!

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard of this book too but NINE GUYS!!!!! OMG, and I love the cover of the book!!! Awesome guest post, Brodie and Katie!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. 16 letters....wow....this is going to be a tough one. I loved Awaken. I can't wait to read more from Katie. Her stuff is pretty epic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You had me at dissecting the male mind. Thanks for guest post.

    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whoa, nine guys?!? Great post! :)

    *nudge* *whisper* Um... It's Girl in the Clockwork Collar, not Diamond. Go change it before Kady sees that! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erm... um.... what are you talking about?! *quickly edits post* Haha thanks for that! I put all blame on tiredness :P

      Delete
  14. I've never tried to dissect the male mind. It doesn't sound pleasant. But, I do know that love isn't butterflies in your stomach. I agree with that. But, I have to say, if I tried to dissect the male mind, well, I'm pretty sure most of the guys in my school would stay away from me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow. o: Never really heard of this one before, but now I'll have to read it! I want to know how he came to that realization! Also; it's so, SO true! Lol. Great post:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm impressed by the fact that she survived living with 9 guys...and used her experiences to write! That's awesome! Will definitely be adding both her books to my TBR list...too bad we can't read The Book of Swear Words. That'd be a bestseller for sure!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm really excited to read, First Comes Love! Thanks for the guest post

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh LOL!!!!!!! "The Book of Swear Words"?? That just made my day! x) I've heard about Awaken and First Comes Love before but for some reason it never dawned on me to read them, but now I really want to pick up them both! You're so awesome, Katie -- I couldn't imagine living with six guys, let alone nine! Like Brodie said, thrilling yet terrifying LOL!

    Absolutely love this guest post! <3 I really want to know how Gray came to that sweet, sweet, super-duper-sweet realization now, so I'm definitely planning on reading your books! Who doesn't want to explore the complicated guy mind? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds interesting and romantic. I'd love 'dissecting the male mind' once, too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is the first time I've heard of this book. Sounds awesome and I'm hoping it will help me understand what the hell guys are thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh wow, nine guys! I'm jealous of her! The guys i know are so confusing! I don't understand them at all. And i'll have to agree with what Gray said, it is kind of true.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates