Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Valentine's Blog Event: Jennifer E. Smith - Author Interview!

I am super excited to welcome an author who has shown me that fate truly does exist... Jennifer E. Smith! If you haven't read The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight, I have an entire file of statistics that prove you are MISSING OUT ON A FABULOUS NOVEL!! Set over 24 hours, the blossoming romance between Hadley and Oliver is so beautifully well developed. Every scene they shared together had me SWOONING like crazy!

And oh my heavens, do you like your YA boys intelligent? Charming? Witty? Funny? BRITISH? Then you must meet Oliver because this boy has perfected the art of papillons à l'estomac. Okay, so maybe I google translated "butterflies to the stomach" but everything sounds much more romantic in French! Check out Jennifer's wonderful interview below and then run out and grab yourself a copy of Statistical Probability now!

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight can make a believer out of the most skeptical readers. Do you personally believe it’s fate or coincidence when two people meet like this in the real world?
I’d like to think that it’s fate, because I’m an optimist (and a romantic!), but I think timing and coincidence play big roles as well. Hadley, for example, missed her flight by only four minutes, and that changed everything. I’ve always found it interesting to think about how something as mundane as that can set you on an entirely different path.

You’ve set a new standard for flights. Many are going to find it extremely disappointing if they’re not seated next to someone as charming and charismatic as Oliver!! *sigh* Do you ever find yourself secretly wishing for your own Oliver when you board a plane?
Yes, I’ve already gotten several emails from many readers who are sitting in airports wondering where their Oliver is! But one friend of mine actually read the book on a plane ride, and then met someone on the return flight. So it can happen!

The book takes place over a 24 hour time period but the relationship never feels forced or like the dreaded ‘insta-love’. How did you manage to make it feel so authentic?
Somehow, I’d never heard the expression “insta-love” until after I’d written the book, so I wasn’t worried about falling into that particular trap, which was probably helpful. The truth is, I didn’t come up with the title until after I’d finished the entire book, so I wasn’t very focused on the concept of love at first sight while I was writing and could just let things unfold naturally between Hadley and Oliver. I’m glad it felt authentic!

What is your favourite movie romance?
There’s absolutely nothing better than watching the relationship develop in Before Sunrise – and then again, nine years later, in Before Sunset. It’s brilliantly done, so lovely and genuine, and even though it happens in a short amount of time, you’re right there with the characters every step of the way, and so it feels completely natural. Those movies were definitely an inspiration for Statistical Probability.

If you could go on a romantic getaway, what would be your dream location?
I absolutely love to travel, so this is a little bit hard to narrow down, but probably somewhere like Florence or Paris. Although there’s always North Dakota, as Oliver suggests in the book.

Who is your favourite YA couple?
Ron and Hermione, definitely!

How would you describe Hadley and Oliver’s relationship in one word?
Magic.



Thank you SO much for being involved in our lovefest, Jennifer! I LOVE Ron and Hermione too! Definitely one of my favourite ever literary couples <3 And oh how amazing it would be to visit Italy or Paris one day, they are such breathtaking countries!


N
What's that? A rogue letter from a hot 2012 title! Collect it and win in our Scavenger Hunt!

Full schedule of events can be found HERE
Remember to fill out the Comment Giveaway Form so your comments will count toward the prizes!

35 comments:

  1. I have 'insta-love' with this interview!!!!!! OMG, it made me want to re-read TSPOLAFS and Jennifer's answer to describe Hadley & Oliver's relationship = MAGIC? TOTALLY AWESOME. Short but totally describes their relationship!!! AAAAAAA...thank you so much for sharing this amazing interview, Brodie! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeeeeeeee! Did she SERIOUSLY just say RON AND HERMIONE? ASDFGHJKlJGFDS! I love this woman! Aaaaah! And the last answer: magic. Donc, si parfait. It's the only word for it. well... That, and l'amour.

    *happy sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW. <3333333 ROMIONE FTW! Best ship ever. <3 <3

      Delete
  3. Right. Once I'm finished my current book, I'm picking this one up. I have been convinced! I neeeeed to read it asap. And Jennerifer sounds awesome! Thank you for the interview! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhhh. Need to read this book. <3 Everything I've heard about it is AMAZING and I'm dying to get my hands on it. Gotta love the Hermione/Ron shippers out there. One of the best lit couples out there in my opinion. ;) Cute how one of her friends met someone on their return flight! Guess it proves that things like this really can happen, huh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read and loved this book. I love the interview. I completely agree that Hadley and Oliver's relationship is magic. In fact, I feel likeThe Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight all over again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm reading this right now and is an absolute believer in love at first sight now :D
    Though I do love Draco & Hermione T^T

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the Before Sunrise/Sunset movies. I think I'm going to adore this book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome author interview Brodie! I'm definitely all about Ron/Hermione! I really must read this author's book! Heard nothing but great things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really, really loved The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight! You'll see it in the way I raved about it in my review. :) I'm a fast-following kind of girl. I'm just the kind of person who believes that things happen for a reason. <3 Loved the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, a busy weekend left me with a lot to catch up on! But then again, I have tons of awesome posts to enjoy now!

    I love the story of her friend on the plane! That's actually kinda cool. And I so love Ron and Hermione too! I seriously cannot wait to pick this book up. *bumps up to-read list*

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have yet to read the book but I'm hearing all kinds of great things about it! Before Sunrise is such a wonderful movie, although the sequel disappointed me a bit.

    P.S. I have a pretty good guess about the book from the scavenger hunt but I'm not sure if I should submit now or wait for all the letters.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The book is already in my wishlist, and I can't wait to buy it and read it. Jennifer is so nice and 'cute':) Her answers are really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want to read this book SO badly! I have heard so many good things about it. :) Hopefully I can get it soon! Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you r not the only only 1 ^-^
      gr8 intrview

      Delete
  14. I LOVED, LOVED Jennifer's novel(I read it back in January), it manages to be both heartbreakingly sweet and serious at the same time.

    I thoroughly enjoyed the questions and answers in your wonderful interview, Brodie :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. omg I've been on countless plane rides and have yet to meet my Oliver. It's basically my dream, one of these days it will happen!! When I read this story, I didn't even think of "insta-love" in terms of it because it felt so genuine. She really did do a great job. Also, hooray for Ron and Hermione love. Love your questions and love her answers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Eeeeeeep!!! My copy of this book literally JUST arrived and with how much you've been squealing about it, Brodie, I'm so excited to start it! <3 Plus, this interview must be made of awesome! Authentic insta-love? Definitely a selling point for me! ;)

    Such a happy-sigh-worthy interview, you guys! I've been in love with the idea & cover of this book since I first saw it and I'm REALLY tempted to start right now -- but I have homework LOL! x) Starting tomorrow though for sure, no matter how many chemistry questions stand in my way! ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. I absolutely LOVED this book. This interview makes me want to go read it again....le sigh

    ReplyDelete
  18. This was a fun interview! I have a copy of TSPOLAFS but I haven't read it yet, maybe I should bump it to the top of the pile!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Interview was great. I will say this: you made me believe a bit in love at first sight. The book was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  20. TSPOLAFS is one of my favorite contemporaries, hands down! I agree with everyone about the insta-love, it didn't feel like insta-love AT ALL. And ahhhh I feel like the only person who hasn't read Harry Potter yet! Must. Read. It. So I can see why everyone is gushing about Ron and Hermione! Awesome interview <3

    ReplyDelete
  21. Enjoyed and adored this interview as much as I enjoyed and adored the book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. TSPOLAFS. That is a mouth full but I absolutely loved the book! The relationship felt very genuine and I really want to go for a re-read. Im actually really glad that you wern't thinking of it as a love at first sight story when you wrote it because it definitly turned out for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ron and Hermione? Really?! That is so cool. Loved the interview it was great.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think "magic" is the perfect word to describe Hadley and Oliver's relationship. I loved those two so, so much! And Ron and Hermione are definitely awesome, I love them too. Thanks so much for the interview! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. French is a romantic language that's for sure^^

    ReplyDelete
  26. And oh my heavens, do you like your YA boys intelligent? Charming? Witty? Funny? BRITISH? Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, YES!!! Oliver was so swoony and perfect. The book was amazing, touching, and has me ready to take a flight across the pond!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I loved, loved, loved this book! Butterflies in your stomach is the best way to descibe it and Oliver! Definite swoon!

    It happened to her friend? For real? Excuse me, I need to go book flights right now and meet my Oliver!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've been hesitent to put this on my to-read list as I don't read a lot of contemporty novels, but this interview has sparked my interest a tad more. Thanks for sharing <3

    ReplyDelete
  29. I haven't read this book yet but I want to! And this author interview made me want to read it so much more! Thanks for sharing this with everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This book doesn't have insta-love? I'm in! This book sounds like a lotta fun! :D

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh I LOVED this book! It was awesome getting into Jennifer's mind for a little bit :) I guess it makes sense that when you're writing without worrying about insta love or anything like that, it comes naturally. Either way, it definitely worked here!

    RON + HERMIONE <3 How adorable are they?

    And Brodie, look at you working the French language ;) Hahaha, nice. Thanks for the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Need to get this book somehow. I've never read a book based on coincidental love :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates