Friday, February 3, 2012

Valentine's Blog Event: Kim Harrington Author Interview!


And welcome to the 3rd day in mine and Lisa's month long lovefest! I have yet another smokin' hot author to treat you with today, none other than Kim Harrington! Kim has been kind enough to share her thoughts on all things romance, from pick-up lines to relationship advice, and maybe a hint at what to expect from the romance in PERCEPTION, the sequel to her debut novel, CLARITY!


What's the best, worst or funniest pick-up line you've ever heard?
“Nice dress. But it would look better on my bedroom floor.”
For the record, that did not work.

What do you think is so special about Gabriel?
I try to make sure all the guys in the CLARITY series (Gabriel, Justin, Nate, Perry) have their strengths and weaknesses, just like real people. Gabriel’s strengths are his honesty and bravery. He wears his heart on his sleeve. But this can also sometimes be his weakness.

Which physical features and personality traits do you find most attractive in a guy?
Sense of humor is #1, but he also has to be smart. This explains my lifelong crush on Jon Stewart.

What’s the most romantic thing a guy has ever done for you?
My husband’s proposal was pretty romantic. But I’m keeping the details for myself :)

What was your thought process on how the romance would develop? How did you go about constructing both men as love interests for Clarity?
I wanted to write about a girl who had choices and none of them were “perfect.” Because isn’t that how it is in real life? You’re not just given one guy to either fall in love with or not. There are choices out there, and more than one guy has been interested in all of you, I promise. And putting your heart on the line is a risk. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn’t, but that’s okay. Because you learn more about yourself through the process of love and heartbreak. So I really wanted to write about a girl’s journey through discovering what and who she really needs. In CLARITY, Clare didn’t know what she wanted and wasn’t ready to make a choice. In PERCEPTION, Clare does reach the point where she’s willing to risk her heart, and she makes a decision that feels right for her at that time in her life. But she’s funny. She’s not a huge romantic. She has a very logical, reasoned mind. The last page of PERCEPTION pretty much sums up her feelings on love.

Would you personally pick Gabriel or give Justin a second chance? Do you believe in second chances? Fate? Destiny?
I believe in second chances, but not fate or destiny. And I know what I would do in Clare’s position, but I’d rather not say because it would be a massive spoiler. :) And it’s not necessarily what she does at the end of PERCEPTION, either. Or the opposite of that. Now that I have everyone totally confused. lol.

Can you give us any information on what kind of relationship Justin and Clarity will have in Perception?
After the events of CLARITY, Clare has finally reached the point of forgiveness with Justin. But now she has to figure out where to go from here. Can she love him again or are they just meant to be friends?

Do you prefer the bad boy or good guy?
In fiction, I love reading both. But in real life, I prefer the good guy. And I’ll say this in all caps to every girl out there…bad boys are fun in fiction, but in real life CHOOSE THE GOOD GUY.

What is the best relationship advice you've ever gotten or would give to someone else?
Marry your best friend. I did.

Thanks for having me!


Thanks so much for sharing your Valentine's thoughts with us, Kim! Terrible as it is, the pick-up line made me laugh hehe. And YES, a sense of humour is a must in a swoony boy for me!

E

This is the second letter you'll find for the Scavenger Hunt!


Full schedule of events can be found HERE. And if you want to be entered for the drool-worthy Comment Contest prize packs, make sure you fill out the form so your delightful comments will count as entries!

37 comments:

  1. Whoever came up with the pick-up line question was a genius. Best way to start the interview. I haven't read anything by Kim Harrison before, but I'm definitely going to get Clarity now. I want to know what all the second chances are about and I love that Kim's all about giving characters choice. I totally agree with that.

    Awesome interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm the biggest dipstick, I meant 'Kim Harrington' but had another page up at the same time and wrote the wrong name down. My bad.

      Delete
    2. Gahahah. Love how you wrote Kim Harrison by accident. <3 I love her as well and am totally psyched about her upcoming book. It's awkward when two authors that write amazing books have similar names. It sometimes gets confusing!

      Delete
    3. Tell me about it. Way too many awesome authors to keep track of.

      Delete
    4. It can be such a pain. :P But hey - so many books to read and love! WHOOT.

      Delete
  2. Great Interview ! I haven't read any Kim Harrington. Sounds like I should. I can't even remember if I was ever given a pick up line, isn't that sad..ha!

    Have fun reading:D

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview! The pick-up line is hilarious . . . I'm now wondering whether that would work on any girl . . . good thing Kim knows better than that. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to read this SOON! If I had known there were TWO cute guys in it, I may have started earlier haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. “Nice dress. But it would look better on my bedroom floor.” <-- LOOOOOOOOOOL OH MY GOSH!! x) Best. Pick-up line. EVER! (Although I would be surprised if it did work haha!) I just adooooored Clarity so I can't wait to read Perception, and I'm -- in all honesty -- Team Gabriel. And your answer about him just solidified that choice! ;)

    Awesome interview, you two! <3 Kim, I second your advice about bad boys in fiction and good boys in real life LOL!! And Brodie... Did I ever tell you how much you ROCK for having this? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview. I loved Clarity and can't wait for Perception. One of my favourite things about this series is that the characters not perfect and are so realistic. Characters that I can relate to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely interview! From the first question I knew I liked Kim, the pickup line is hilarious. I haven't read Clarity but I definitely will.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great interview! I loved Clarity and can't wait for Perception! I prefer Justin over Gabriel though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the interview, I love reading up on the Authors point of view on things.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahaha I love that pick-up line! I'm waiting to read Clarity closer to Perception's release date and I'm excited to eventually start it. I really appreciate what she said about her male characters, it's way too often that male characters are usually really Perfect or a total jerk! Hee, I wonder what her husband's proposal was! This is a really great interview. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved the awesome interview! I cannot wait for Perception. Clarity was really refreshing to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That pick-up line is hilarious!! I think I would have cracked up laughing if any guy ever said that to me XD And I'd choose the good guy in real life too! The bad boys would probably scare me :>

    Great interview! I'm waiting for Clarity to arrive in the mail and I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic interview! I've heard really good things about Clarity and Perception is supposed to be just as amazing. Embarrassingly I haven't read anything by Kim Harrington (I need to fix this!) but regardless this was a really interesting interview! Thanks so much for doing this. Proves that I need to get cracking and pick up her books asap!

    ReplyDelete
  14. "What's the best, worst or funniest pick-up line you've ever heard?
    “Nice dress. But it would look better on my bedroom floor.”
    For the record, that did not work."
    I agree. Funny, but so wouldn't work. Sounds like the guy was trying to find someone easy for the night. Gag me. Good choice in rejection. :D
    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE her advice and tend to agree...bad boys ARE fun in fiction, but I've yet to meet one that didn't end in a lot of heartbreak for the girl involved.

    Also, that pick-up line CRACKED ME UP!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL! love the pick up line. Its good to know that it didn't work. Seriously guys needs to come up with something better.

    I look forward to reading Clarity. Unfortunately havn't gotten around to it but its sitting on my shelf just telling me to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome interview <3 hahaa I cracked up laughing at that pick-up line :DDD Totally made my day! Eeeee! I agree with Kim on the most attractive traits in a guy <3 haha, Sense of Humour is DEFINTIELY #1. LOVE a guy who can make me laugh even without trying :D LOL I guess it's true that bad boys in fiction are fun & sexy& totally heart-melting & basically the guy in every girl's dream.. but in real life....one must choose the good guy :S *sigh* Why can't I live in books, huh?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be the best! But when how would I be able to pick which book to live in?? D:

      Delete
  18. that pick up line was super funny!


    I have not given clarity a try yet, but I will !

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE this interview, not going to lie - I'm totally Team Gabriel :) Even if Clare has forgiven Justin I just don't think it's fair on Gab if she walks away from him! Also what Justin did at the end of Clarity was very sweet <3 :P

    Ps- that's an awful pick-up line, I hope you threw your drink in his face :/

    ReplyDelete
  20. That pick-up line is so terrible I laughed until it hurt :P. And I haven't read Clarity yet, but I'm so excited to read it now! I also love the last answer - so cute. Great interview, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh gosh, I really really need to read this book!!! I haven't read it before but I've heard great things about Clarity!!! What an awesome interview, Brodie!!! I must get this book!!! Thank you for sharing this with us! <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice interview! That pick-up line and Kim's "additional information" was hilarious! Now I totally have to get Clarity in my hands!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Clarity was a great read. The relationships felt very true-to-life. I couldn't agree more with Kim's answer to thought process on how the romance would develop. Can't wait for Perception!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Huh, just realized I missed this post. How'd that happen?!? I haven't read any of Kim's books yet but this makes me wanna read them so much more!

    ReplyDelete
  25. LOL omg, that pick-up line... *shakes head* If someone actually thinks they work... hahah.

    I've been so curious about Clarity! I'm thinking it might be time to actually pick it up. Looks good:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. new author for me and i'm quite happy to have discovered thanks to you

    all the best

    ReplyDelete
  27. Worst pick up line ever! Ew. Lol! I love her advice...yes to the good guys in real life! Though I think even in fiction I lean towards the good guy. :-D Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really enjoyed that interview. That chat-up line is awful and I'm pleased to hear she didn't fall for it! I love that Kim tries to write about romance in a realistic way and acknowledges that in real life you don't get perfect choices. It's refreshing to have a female character that thinks things through and decides what she wants rather than just swooning over a guy who seems to have a huge power over her. And I share her views on the good boy/bad boy debate. I love to watch and read about bad boys (Sawyer from Lost, Daemon from the Vampire Diaries etc.) but in real life I wouldn't want to be messed around- us girls deserve someone who loves and respects us. And good guys don't have to be boring as long as they have a sense of humour and a playful side!

    I'm well behind in this series as Clarity is still on my wishlist, but hopefully it will soon be mine!

    ReplyDelete
  29. HAHAHAHA that is the BEST (if not the most disturbing) pickup line ever! *snorts* I haven't read Clarity yet, but I will soon, I hope. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  30. HA! BEST pick-up line ever! I can't believe someone would actually use that on like, another human. Hahaha, wow :P

    Smart and with a sense of humour... not bad. Those are definitely traits that I look for in a guy too. Does that mean Gabriel will possess them? ;) Maybe I need to bump Clarity up on my reading pile...

    I love the good guy both in and out of books but I guess I'm a lot more willing to compromise if it's someone like... Noah Shaw <3 LOL.

    Great interview questions! Very Valentine's month appropriate, which I guess was the idea.

    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great interview! Totally loved Harrington's answers. Unfortunately I haven't gotten the chance to read Clarity...yet -__-. But I should, like totally soon. Love that pickup line! Sounds so cheesy XD

    And SO ADORABLE – "Marry your best friend" – best piece of advice ever :D

    ReplyDelete
  32. The book cover looks so gooood. I think that and the interview made me want to read Clarity even more.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates