Saturday, February 11, 2012

Valentine's Blog Event: Leah Bobet - Author Interview

And the amazing authors just keep rolling on in! Today, I'm honoured to welcome Leah Bobet to our 29 day lovefest, author of upcoming debut novel, ABOVE. Have you seen the cover art? So stunning! And the PLOT? WOW. it sounds absolutely incredible. Not to mention the fascinating main leads.... she, who speaks to ghosts and he, who shoots lightning from his fingers. Seriously, where is April hiding?

To help ease the torturous wait until ABOVE is released, read on as Lisa and I have picked Leah's brain on all things romance. I love her answer so much, she really digs deep into the heart of every question, which speaks volumes for her writing talent. And if possible, has me more excited for her novel!
Author Interview - Leah Bobet

What is your favourite movie romance?
Joel and Clementine from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, hands down. They're both these complicated, broken, prickly, real people, and they love each other so much that even after the ways they've inevitably hurt each other, the ways they have tried to forget each other, they will look each other in the face, clear-eyed, and throw themselves into all that possible hurt and risk and trouble again. Because they can't not try, not if there's a chance. It breaks my heart, and it's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen, all at once.

Do you have a celebrity crush?
I…do and I don't? It's hard for me to crush on famous people, because I used to do theatre, and so I'm really, really aware that what you see of an actor or a musician or whatnot in public isn't them: it's their characters, and it's their public persona, which is a character all by itself. I learned this the hard way one fall after wondering why that cute guy who sat next to me in our Twelve Angry Men production was such a breathtaking jerk everywhere except rehearsal. Sigh. That said, there are a couple guys in some of the local indie bands here who I'd dress my best for. And if Joseph Gordon-Levitt showed up on my doorstep with a three-piece suit and a guitar, I would cancel all my plans for a week.

If you could switch places with any YA girl, who would it be and why?
After a lot of thought, I think I wouldn't. I have a pretty happy life! And most YA heroines have terrible lives, which is what makes them fun to read about. Seems like a bad deal all around, really.

If you could go on a romantic getaway, what would be your dream location?
One of the really crunchy historic cities: Paris, Osaka, London, Athens, Beirut. Exploring by yourself is great. Exploring with someone you care about is better.

Which physical features and personality traits and do you find most attractive in a guy?
I'm ridiculously picky about guys (and girls, for that matter, on the rare occasions I have had crushes on girls), but the most important thing in both is always honesty. The people I date more than once tend to tell it like it is, or at least tell it like they see it. And they tend to have the kind of understated, dry, ridiculous sense of humour that makes me spit my drink.
As for the physical stuff? I'm very rarely attracted to a person on looks alone. It's always their smile, or the way they move, or who they are; something about how they inhabit their body, and if they're comfortable in their own skin.

What’s the most romantic thing a guy has ever done for you?
Flew 1,500 miles to take me out to dinner when we'd never met face to face. The relationship didn't survive the distance in the end, but as grand gestures go, it was pretty seriously grand.

How would you describe Ariel and Matthew's relationship in one word?
Hah: complicated.
Just like Joel and Clementine up there, they're both very messy and occasionally gun-shy. And when you put that together – especially when what one person wants isn't exactly what the other one needs – things get, well. Complicated.

What’s special about your couple and why do they have a great romance?
Because despite all that, and all the things stacked against them? They're both really, really sincere and good people. And they are trying so very hard for each other. They can't help but try.

Do you believe in soul mates?
Not in the sense of a One True Person You Are Supposed To Be With Forever™. We all grow, and we all change, and a person who fills all the missing spaces in your heart at 18 may not have anything in common with you at 25, or 30, or 40 – and there's nothing wrong with that, because you don't want, at 30, to be the exact same person you were at 18. Most relationships end. That's kind of okay. That said? I do believe in having people out there who you will have instant connections with, and instant intimacy and trust, and in having people who, even though they cause you a hell of a lot of complication and trouble, make your life brighter and better and sharper for being there. And I guess, to me, that's soulmates: the people who walk into your life and bring up the lights.

Tell me my heart wasn't the only one that fluttered when reading her soul mate answer? Perfectly answered! Who else has fallen in love with this gorgeous lady? And are clambering for the 'preorder' button on Book Depository?!


Full schedule of events can be found HERE
Remember to fill out the Comment Giveaway Form so your comments will count toward the prizes!

26 comments:

  1. That answer to the soulmates question is PERFECT. 100% agree with Leah! But it would be nice to have that one person who you're 'destined' to be with....
    YES! HONESTY! definitely one of the most important traits to look for! Man, Leah's officially my new role model :DDDD Now I can't wait to meet Ariel and Matthew <3 Anyone called Matthew MUST be hot! Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh definitely, having that one person out there is such a nice thought <3 But yes, I LOVED her answer!

      How is it one person can be so talented, gorgeous, intelligent AND inspiring? Yes, Leah. You are our new role model! Heh, a lot of the Matthew's I've met have been.... well... jerks. But I've no doubt Leah's Matthew will redeem the name for me :D

      Delete
    2. LOL. Do you know of other HOT Matthews my dear? ;) You should introduce me to them!

      Delete
  2. "And I guess, to me, that's soulmates: the people who walk into your life and bring up the lights."

    My heart did flutter! That was perfect! *wipes tear* Checking out ABOVE now :) Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eternal Sunshine really doesn't get all the credit it deserves. Such an amazing movie! <3

    Above's cover looks amazing! Thanks for the interview and the inside scoop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This whole interview really was perfect! Leah Bobbetțs answers are so nice and true :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview. I've seen the cover for Above . . . gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great interview and it's well thought

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Exploring by yourself is great. Exploring with someone you care about is better." Yes, double yes! There is nothing better than meandering through ancient cities. I just need a travel partner! Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the answer to the soul mates question :). No better way to express it. And definitely intrigued by Ariel and Matthew's relationship now! Great post, thank you :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the interview!
    Above has been on wishlist for quite some time. Looking forward reading it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved Leah's soulamte answer! And I love the sound of this book! Added to the wishlist! Oh, it sounds so intriguing! I'm really looking forward to hearing more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful interview! And when Joseph stops bringing up the lights in your world, please do send him by my porch! Thanks for all the sighs and chuckles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah -- poor guy. It must be terrifying to just casually go on the internet and see perfect strangers talking about Doing Things to you.

      Delete
  12. I've been dying to read this book! I love the cover and what an awesome interview! Thank you for sharing this interview with us! <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. AHHHHH amazing intereview! <3 <3 I'm SO EXCITED to read this book you have no idea! The cover looks AMAZING and I'm loving the idea of the story. I love what she said about soulmates, it's so true. <3 CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS BOOK TO COME OUT! AHHHH.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh, this book has to be one of the highest up on my want-want-want pile!! And not just because of the gorgeous cover or the fact that the author is an amazing Canadian -- it just sounds SO good! <3 Plus, your romantic getaway speaks for itself, Leah! That's exactly how I feel, and those are the places I want to visit most too! :)

    P.S. Leah, I'm going to try my best to make it to your Toronto launch party in May, even though it's a school night LOL! I'm really excited for that as well! :D

    P.P.S. You're awesome, Brodie! <3 LOL I just didn't want to write a comment without reminding you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, awesome -- hope you can indeed make it! There'll be snacks! :)

      Delete
  15. Aww! He flew that far just for you! That's so romantic. Too bad the relationship didn't last. At least there are guys out there like that. :D And I totally agree. A smile is the best feature. :D
    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's fabulous, yeah -- we're still buddies. :)

      Delete
  16. Eternal Sunshine is one of my favorites of all time! Definitely an underrated movie. Cannot wait for this one. It's high on my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so excited for this book! Looks incredible!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been eying this book ever since I saw it on goodreads. It seems awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Above sounds so good, and this interview was fascinating! Can't wait to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fantastic interview! I adore Leah's thoughts on soul mates..."people who walk into your life and bring up the lights" = perfect.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. "Flew 1,500 miles to take me out to dinner when we'd never met face to face." That's beyond sweet! Lovely interview, by the way :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates