Friday, March 9, 2012

Review: Winter's Light (Winter's Shadow #2)

Author: M.J Hearle
Release Date: May 1st 2012
Publisher: Pan Macmillan
Add it: Goodreads
Buy it: Fishpond World
Blake is gone.

He sacrificed himself to save Winter, leaving her alone, unprotected... hunted.

An ancient enemy is rising, but Winter is no longer the innocent girl who was fated to die at Pilgrim's Lament. She will not wait to be saved. She will do what she must to survive, even accept an unsavoury alliance with those who destroyed her love.

In the gathering darkness, the enemy of an enemy is not always a friend, and Winter must find the strength to stand alone and fight for the one she loves. For she is the key to unlocking the secrets beyond the veil of shadows.

And she is Blake's only hope.

Three months have passed since the tragic events at Pilgrim's Lament. Three months Winter's has had to deal with her grief over losing Blake, while living with the knowledge of all she learnt about the Dead Lands and her own unique abilities. She's about to attend her high school graduation - putting yet another piece of her life behind her - but what she doesn't realise is that life after school may offer something far more unsettling. Attacked by two Demori, Winter finds an unlikely saviour in Sam, one of the Bane who aided in Blake's demise. He may have just saved her life, but can she really trust him? More troubling is that Winter now has a deadly enemy in a Demori who will stop at nothing to exact his vengeance.

Winter shines for her strength and initiative in this novel. She's determined, a girl on a mission, fueled by love and the promise of saving what she thought was lost to her. She's very independent and I liked seeing her faced with difficult decisions. While sometimes you're warning her against doing something, you can sympathise with her reasons why and she's smart enough to understand the risks. Sam was a very welcome addition to the cast, I loved that Hearle probed deeper into his character. He may not have always done the right things, but he's now away from his father's influence and a much better person for it. He's trying to atone for his past mistakes and while you have suspicions that he may still be hiding something from Winter, you can't help but feel for him. I also love that we saw plenty of Jasmine. Too many times the best friend is there but often gets pushed to the side when the heroine is off on a dangerous supernatural mission. Here, Jasmine knows of the otherworldly dangers Winter is entangled in and regardless of the risks, she sticks by her friend's side, loyal until the end... despite that she's just as terrified as Winter!

As with Winter's Shadow, Hearle once again gives us a glimpse into the past - two thousand years ago, to be exact. I especially loved this element of the story. Lamara was a fascinating character who made a decision powered by love, just as Winter is doing now, but it lead Lamara to the heart of the Dead Lands. Straight into the terrifying hands on the Malfaerie. I so enjoyed reading the time spent there, because the Malfaerie are horrific, power-hungry things and I was caught up in Lamara's tragic, yet darkly thrilling story.

We're still immersed in the haunting atmosphere of Hagan's Bluff, but we also see more foreign scenery with the Dead Lands and a glimpse of Paris. And it's in Paris that we meet the Bonnaires, a long line of family (perhaps not all by blood, but definitely by loyalty) who hunt down the Demori. They want Winter for a very specific reason... but are their motives to be trusted? And is Blake's potential rescue worth the risk of what they want to unleash?

Sacrifices demand to be made and Winter must learn to trust her instincts. But when they're warning her against the one plan that may save Blake from his eternal doom, how can she turn away? The stakes are raised even higher in the sequel. Hearle brilliantly weaves two captivating tales from the past and present, which intertwine despite the time that separates them. Winter's Light will hook you back into its dark and eerie world from the very first page and once you turn the last, you will be hungry for the next book after the cliffhanger you're left on! Packed with even more action and intensity than the first, Winter's Light keeps you on constant alert, with twists you won't see coming until the very last minute and danger that urges you to read faster.

A must read for anyone who enjoyed the first book and definitely a series you should try if you're looking for something new in a slew of paranormal cliches!

4.5/5 Golden Apples!

16 comments:

  1. Okay, wow, the cover for this one sold me over, but your review is too much to resist! I'll have to buy Winter's Shadow and read it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn Brodie! I want to read this book so, so badly considering I loved the first book. The publicist should be sending me this soon . . . I hope. hehe. Anyway fantastic review! I'm now even more eager to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm. I've never heard of this before! No, for reals. This is the first time I'm hearing of this series. Is this one of your favorites? It sure sounds like it. I definitely want to meet Winter now! AND BLAKE. Sam, too. Who are these people? I keep thinking. I desperately want to get to know them!!

    Asher

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's nothing worse than reading a book for a sequel and realizing that you haven't read the first book yet -- because then it takes me that much longer to get to the awesomeness you pointed out LOL!! x) <3 This book sounds AMAZING, Brodie! Here's to my really big craving for a rare book that twists until the end and to this one for seeming to be a perfect match! *cheers*

    Beautiful review, Brodie! I'm definitely adding this series to my TBR pile now! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. AAAA! I am so dying to read Winter's Light! After the way things ended in Winter's Shadow? I NEED TO SEE MORE BLAKE!!!

    But ooo, this Sam sounds really interesting! I can't remember if we read it in the first book or he's a new character? He sounds kinda familiar but I read Winter's Shadow quite a while ago so I can't really remember all the details!

    AWESOME AWESOME REVIEW Brodie! I love Winter's Light cover and the snowy background! LOVE <3

    I hope Winter's Shadow foreign rights is bought by other publishing companies so the whole world can read this brilliant book! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully written review Brodie....oh yes Blake...Blake....Blake....me needs book 3...but me knows I can't have it..hehe!!

    Thankyou for the link I shall return the fave now:D

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhhh I am sooo jealous that you've read this. I really need to read this series. I've seen it in the shops but I hadn't realised that it was by an Australian author so I hadn't bought it yet. :P MUST FIX THIS SOON.

    I LOVE Winter's Light's cover. I was talking to Lisa about it before - doesn't it remind you of some weird combination of the Australian covers for Unearthly and Hallowed? ;D

    I need to get

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't read your review on the offchance it spoils Winter's Shadow, but I read the end and saw you enjoy it, which is awesome! I'm looking forward to trying this series at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohh, you make me way too intrigued! I want to read the first one real bad, it sounds awesome and I'm glad the sequel managed to live up to it as well! *want* Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hadn't heard of this before, but now I really want to read this series! New follower and can't wait to hear more from you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read the first book, but I remember you mentioning this series. It sounds like one I have to pick up eventually. I am so glad the second book didn't disappoint.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brodie, I am SO jealous of your writing abilities. Your reviews are always SO WELL WRITTEN and I'm crazy envious. But anyway, this review was no exception. The way you word things make me want to pick this book up right away! Well, the first book in the series. I haven't heard much about this series, but it definitely sounds awesome! I love when characters shine or grow stronger as the series progresses, like Winter does in this book. Fabulous review, Brodie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whoaaaa there's soooo many names to remember :S but,but THIS SERIES SOUNDS AMAZING <3 Looks like I'll have to read the first book soon! Anddd 2000 years ago?! Does this have anything to do with reincarnation? :S Aamazing review Brodie! I can't wait to start this series<3

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic review!! Love it :) Have I finally found another Australian Blogger here?!

    New Follower! :)
    clairelouisereads.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  15. Uh... Brodie? This sounds AMAZING. I haven't read the first one, but I've seen this one floating around, and, I mean... uh... AMAZING! Oh, I love the sounds of all the different races/monsters/whatever they are, and I seriously hadn't even considered it'd be that 'type' of book... uh... AMAZING. AMAZERING! Want!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just read this amazing new YA fiction on Ganesha - Part 1 of the Temple Wars series - I think everyone should check it out! Temple Wars

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates