Friday, June 15, 2012

Review: The Golden Lily

Author: Richelle Mead
Release Date: OUT NOW!!
Publisher: Penguin
Add or Buy: Goodreads | Amazon | Book Depostiory
The second thrilling installment in Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy spinoff series

Tough, brainy alchemist Sydney Sage and doe-eyed Moroi princess Jill Dragomir are in hiding at a human boarding school in the sunny, glamorous world of Palm Springs, California. The students--children of the wealthy and powerful--carry on with their lives in blissful ignorance, while Sydney, Jill, Eddie, and Adrian must do everything in their power to keep their secret safe. But with forbidden romances, unexpected spirit bonds, and the threat of Strigoi moving ever closer, hiding the truth is harder than anyone thought.

Populated with new faces as well as familiar ones, Richelle Mead's breathtaking Bloodlines series explores all the friendship, romance, battles, and betrayals that made the #1 New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series so addictive. In this second book, the drama is hotter, the romances are steamier, and the stakes are even higher.

Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. 
5/5 Golden Apples!

Oh, fine. You want more? Well, don't blame me if my Sydrian Gushing button gets stuck ON! (this is actually a shortened review, so... erm...)

The Golden Lily begins with a quietly menacing chapter that, on reflection, is quite a fitting start given where it feels Sydney is headed (hopefully not there, but she's in a dangerous position). Picking up a month after the events of Bloodlines, Dimitri and Sonya are now in Palm Springs, having formed a trio laced with tension alongside Adrian as they test their experiments. Angeline is struggling to fit into a civilised society (but I SO love her antics), Jill is discovering the pains of being a vampire trying to exist beside humans and Eddie - sweet, dedicated warrior - is hiding his true feelings because he feels inadequate. Sigh. Nothing is ever easy for these guys, but I love every minute of their angst.

Sydney Sage is adorable. She may be bounds above her peers on an intellectual level, but when it comes to the rules of dating, she really has no idea. It's such an endearing quality and makes for some amusing scenes... especially given the new, equally smart, equally socially awkward guy in her life. Who is not Adrian Ivashkov, but I couldn't bring myself to view him as a potential threat because I have an iron-clad belief that no woman alive can resist Adrian's charm (Rose? What? Shut up. I don't know what you're talking about. This book features a lily). I quite liked the contrast of these two different relationships in her life. And I've gotta say... Brayden? He was kind of hilarious in the moment right before.. THAT moment!

Sydney has made a clear transformation since we first met her in Blood Promise. Alchemist, she may be, but believer in the cause? Well, that's where the cracks begin to show. She's opening herself up to things she would never have dreamed of doing and becoming friendly with the strictly forbidden. We catch a glimpse of what the Alchemists will do to those who show the slightest hint of favour toward the vampires and it's a scary thing. I worry about Sydney's future, because I stupidly want her to acknowledge what she feels deep down and stick it to the Alchemists (and get nakey with Adrian), but she's walking a line that if crossed, could have terrifying consequences.

Adrian Ivashkov. I can't believe Richelle turned him into a murderer.... of my sanity, that is. There are not enough words in the English, Swedish or Plutonean language to describe my love for this guy. He stole my heart in 2009 and that beautiful bastard has kept it ever since! As usual, we're treated to his ever entertaining wit and charm, but Richelle digs deeper and deeper and once again explores his inner demons. I wanted to envelope him in the biggest hug so many times. His parents prove to be a very sore spot and I'm really hoping someone breaks his father's nose. I'm HAPPY to do the honours. It's thanks to Sydney that we see him open up more. Not even with Rose did he allow himself to be this candid; to trust another with his fears and vulnerabilities. I love that there is finally someone in his life willing to put their faith in him, to stand up for him, and he shows to be the same support for her. HE DESERVES TO BE HAPPY, DAMNIT.

I love the dance between these two - even if Sydney is barely even aware of it, coming from either herself or Adrian. She can be so adorably oblivious! Much of what she does is done unconsciously, but I think that's what made me love it even more, because her actions and feelings were more honest, genuine. Even if she can't see what they truly mean, the reader can. Every moment between them had me with my fist to my mouth, covering an impossibly large grin and trying, without success, to soften the ridiculous noises squawking out of me. They are equal to my love of Rose and Dimitri and it's only the second book in the series! It also needs to be noted that Protector Adrian; the fierce, sweet hero ready to defend Sydney's honor is probably the greatest thing since Poet Adrian, Mustang Adrian and Jet Steele Adrian.

While I guessed the mystery early on and I was hoping for just a teensy bit more action, I wouldn't even think to deduct half a star for these. Because neither could chisel the smile from my face or glue back the cracks in my heart by the end. New and exciting threats are introduced, magic is explored, the swoon levels are set to EXTREME and regardless of whether you think yourself a shipper of Sydney and Adrian, you damn well will be when you read this. Otherwise I will disown you. I'm not even kidding. The Golden Lily is yet another stunning and compulsively readable (as in: don't expect to put it down until you're finished) installment from an author worthy of her bestseller title. The final chapter damaged my heart; it was floating on a puffy cloud in heaven and before it could thud another beat, SOMEONE DRAGGED IT DOWN TO HELL. So I went back to reread the same chapter again, because even though I knew it would hurt, the high before the fall is so f**king worth it!!!

5/5 Golden Apples!

34 comments:

  1. OH THE ENDING!!! Lol. I just read Bloodlines two days ago, and I had to buy The Golden Lily last night. And...I kinda sorta maybe stayed up most of the night reading it. And finished it. And then I wanted to cry at 4 in the morning because I was emotional and have to wait so long for book three. **Pouts** Poor Adrian. Poor Sydney. POOR US!!!! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOOOH I see your Bloodlines review in my Google Reader, I'll go read it shortly! Haha I LOVE that you went on a Bloodline marathon, even though... god... THAT ENDING!! Richelle is such a cruel, cruel genius <3

      Delete
    2. I KNOW! And when does book three come out? 2013?!?!?!? **Sobs**

      Delete
  2. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian.

    I need nothing else!!! LOL!!

    There are not enough words in the English, Swedish or Plutonean language to describe my love for this guy. Ditto and I also want to break his dads nose! Adrian deserves undying worship and appreciation and people licking the ground he walks one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha are you sure we don't share a brain? *peels tongue off ground* Seriously, that guy is the KING of all Fictional Boyfriends. I may have to get Dimitri to train me so I can kick Sydney's butt and steal him away to my secret lair....

      Delete
  3. LOL Brodie!!! I totally would've been happy with just the first mini-review, but I'm SO happy with the huge, gushing, hilarious, and teasingly amazing review too! x) I want to read this book so badly, but my copy isn't coming until next week because I ordered it with My Life Next Door. (Darn you, pre-order rule!) I think I actually liked Bloodlines better than YA because I have so much more connection to Sydney. But mostly it's because I'm...

    TEAM ADRIAN! And I think you got it spot on when you showed the world he deserves to be bolded! x) <3

    I should be in bed right now but instead I'm reading your awesome reviews and I don't mind it one bit :') Amazing review, Brodieee! I want Adrian to have a HEA too! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you, Mimi!! <3 Curse you preorder shipping times, but at least you'll have another hopefully amazing novel coming to make up for it. I cannot WAIT for you to read TGL!

      I'm not sure I can choose a favourite! I LOVE both Sydney and Rose, the very different journeys they're on and their relationships with the guys both make me SWOON. But... man, Adrian. He may not be Russian, but he sure is a GOD :D

      Delete
  4. I'd kind of given up on this series, but maybe I should get back to it! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you should!! Maybe I'm biased, since I'm a crazy fangirl of the VA world, but... yes, do consider it! So worth it :D

      Delete
  5. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian. Adrian.

    Move over my beloved Dimitri . . . Adrian is here!

    GAH! I want this book SO BADLY Brodie! Good job my copy was shipped this week . . . so hopefully I get it soon! Anyway fantastic review but damn you for making me want the book even more! *cries*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. Dimitri is awesome, but I have to say, my heart has always and will always belong to a yummy Spirit boy :)

      ERIN. I CAN'T WAIT FOR YOU TO READ THIS. I know Lisa got her TBD preorder yesterday, so yours should be here SOON hopefully! You're going to DIE. DIEEEEEEEEE. The swoon is off the charts :D

      Delete
    2. Funny that. Like you saw on my twitter my copy of the book came in today. Halfway through this book now . . . <333333333333333 it already.

      Delete
  6. ADRIAN. I actually didn't read your second review. No need.

    Haha okay, I did. Wonderful review(s) Brodie. I love Adrian so much...he's a lonnnggg standing book boyfriend for me, ever since he smoked his way into my heart in Frostbite and he was sofa king amazing in TGL!!! Protector Adrian. Mustang Adrian. WHICH WAS MY FAVOURITE? I love all the Adrians. And Sydney. Omg, that scene? with his dad? too cute. And the SLUSHIE. Omg. I'm just becoming rambly and incohesive now aren't I?

    But yeah...great reviews..and...I love Adrian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just want to copy and paste your paragraph and scream YESSSSS! at it. Holy hell, I just.... I can't... there are no amount of words to describe the depth of my love for this guy.

      THE SLUSHIES!!! AND THE POOL! AND THE APARTMENT AND THE BASTARD FATHER SCENE AND THE *DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE* That last chapter killed me. The expressions on my face would have been embarrassing if I were reading in public LOL.

      ALSO: YELLOW!!! <3

      Delete
  7. AAAAAAHHHHH I AM STILL SO EXCITED. YOU’RE MAKING ME ALL SQUIRMY AND I JUST WANT TO READ IT AGAIN! AND SYDNEY, I LOVE HER ADORABLE OBLIVIOUSNESS AND LOVELINESS AND CRAZINESS. AND ADRIAN... I CAN’T BELIEVE I’M AN ADRIAN GIRL. AND SYDNEY AND ADRIAN, I’M JUST SWOOOONING THE WHOLE TIME. AND THE LAST CHAPTER!!! DO I EVEN STILL HAVE A HEART? DID IT JUST BREAK INTO TINY PIECES? HOW AM I MEANT TO LIVE LIKE THIS? SO MUCH LOVE FOR THE GOLDEN LILY ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOUR VERY CAPSLOCK SQUEEFUL COMMENT PRETTY MUCH SUMS UP MY ENTIRE FEELINGS RIGHT NOW. STILL. TWO DAYS AFTER FINISHING. It's going to take me the FULL 8 months until The Indigo Spell's release to actually recover. And even then I don't think my heart will have mended fully :(

      I can't believe you weren't an Adrian girl before!! But I am SO happy he converted you. God, him and Sydney are just... they are PERFECT.

      Delete
  8. OMG I DO NOT LIKE YOU RIGHT NOW. I WANT SOME INSTANT SYDRIAN GRATIFICATION. WHO IS THIS BRAYDEN FOOL I'M HEARING OF?! *stares at TGL lying on bed* Must read. I'm going to fly through a review for tomorrow and then I'll start reading. Hopefully my responsible alarm won't sound because I REEEEALLY should be studying. *runs away* Stupid awesome review. Humph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BRAYDEN IS NOT EVEN IMPORTANT. FORGET ABOUT HIM AND GO GRAB YOUR COPY FOR THE SYDRIAN LOVE. If you read the entire book tonight, you can leave the weekend for all your study purposes, because you're going to need a distraction after that ending *wails* And you won't be able to function if TGL is sitting there, tempting you.... *runs back to my copy and rereads* *happy sigh*

      Delete
  9. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

    Whoops, too much 'E's there :P

    Anyway....

    ADRIAN.ADRIAN.ADRIAN.ADRIAN! <3 I just got this book today and SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO EXCITED TO READ IT!!!!!!!

    ADRIAN-TASTIC review, Brodie! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee! NEVER too many EEEEEEEEE's where a Richelle Mead book is concerned. I can't believe you're finished it already, from what I saw on twitter, but CELINE! ADRIAN!

      Delete
  10. Brodie, as amazing as your longer review is, that first one SAYS IT ALL! :)

    I, too, worked out the major mystery before hand, but god, it was good! Although I worked it out, do you know what I mean now by it being a surprise? Considering all the books that have come before in the series, it comes up now? Last thing I would expect so late on in the lives of these characters, even if the basic idea is pretty much as old as the vampire. But it's going to shake things up in such a big way! I can see there being more lovely Moroi/Dhampir politics coming into the mix. Oooh, I am excited! :D

    BUT THAT ENDING! Oh my poor, poor Adrian. It killed me. But what else could Sydney do, considering... Sydney's head? It was the only right way for that situation to end. But :'( :'( :'(

    Great review, Brodie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was ridiculous tempted to just leave my review at that :P

      YES. I TOTALLY get what you mean! I love that it was never hinted at in any of the VA books, just like how Rose was never aware of the Alchemists existence until Blood Promise. There is always so much MORE to explore, more beyond what the characters are aware of. I like that Richelle is able to believable expand on her world and introduce all these new things. I'm so excited to see where things are headed now, it's gonna get EXCITING! :D

      Agh, I should have just made you write my review, you're saying everything I WANTED to put into words! I hate what the ending did, but it was... well... the sensible thing to do. Not the thing I WANT, but *cries* the consequences would be bad. BUT JO I DON'T WANT IT TO GO THAT WAAAAAAAY.

      Delete
  11. I love love love this review Brodie!!!! It's so amazing funny! I completely swoon over the Adrians! I even just did a rare thing; I read your review outload to a few friends right now. So funny! ;))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your love (unhealthy obsession?!) for Adrian is more than enough to convince me to read this book. I honestly never thought I would want to after the first book disappointed me, but you have COMPLETELY changed my mind! I want to experience some of these EXTREME swoon levels. :D

    Plus I fear you may come over here to murder me in my sleep if I don't read it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha, I laughed at "turned him into a murderer" I was like "WHAT? Oh!! That Brodie!!"

    So I read the first half and then skipped the end, just in case as I only started this today! But I love your review and your Adrian-enthusiasm, I really want to see him happy, with Sydney preferably :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH WOW. You're review is definitely the best I've read! I am a life-long (and by life-long, I mean ever since I read Frostbite) lover of Adrian and I cannot get enough of his wit and charm!
    I will be following your blog shortly, well done!
    Thanks for the great review.
    Melissa.
    booknerdandcritic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. So my work told me I wasn't allowed to read this on the work computer due to some "risque" content. Hilarious right?! So awesome.

    Yes, Sydney and Adrian are very cute and I want them to get together! I love the difference we are seeing in Adrian and that he is trying for the first time (like EVER). It's really endearing to read.

    I loved Sydney's awkwardness with the dating and such. It made her much more likeable because I wasn't really enjoying her in Bloodlines.

    Amazing gushy review! You've made me want to go and read this again!

    How do you do that?!

    ReplyDelete
  16. AHAHHAHAHHAHAHAH YOUR REVIEW JUST MADE MY DAY! LMAO. I'm sitting here with this stupid grin pasted on my face; I'm so scared my parents will walk in and be like; WHY ARE YOU SMILING?! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU READING ONLINE, HUH!?! Ahem.

    ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN ADRIAN

    I.NEED.MORE.ADRIAN.NOW.

    Your metaphors are freaking HILARIOUS. "MURDERER" - When I read that, I was like YOU KIDDING ME!!? But then I read, "YOUR SANITY" - PHEW.
    And "I love the dance between these two" - I actually thought you meant THERE'S THIS SEXY DANCE SCENE BETWEEN SYDNEY AND ADRIAN! LOL. You never fail to amuse me Brodie!

    Anywayyyy I think I should stop typing; I NEED TO DEVOUR THE GOLDEN LILY NOW. My copy JUST arrived :D Can't wait to read it<3

    And do I even need to say it? YOUR REVIEW IS FREAKING FANTABULOUS, AS ALWAYS<3

    ReplyDelete
  17. We are in love with Adrian Ivashkov. And that is all.




    But, no, really, this series, that girl, that boy! I have no idea how I'm still breathing because I was FREAKING OUT during that ending. Richelle Mead can write mean action scenes, but it really says something of her talent that she can get our hearts racing with CONVERSATION SCENES. AHHH!!! OFF TO FREAK OUT SOME MORE.

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOWW. Your reviews are very.... well they make me want to JUMP IN MY CAR. DRIVE 200MPH to b&n and BUY THE DAMN BOOK.

    I have to admit, I haven't read VA .. though it is sitting right next to me! I HAVE IT... I just have to get to it. But your review of this spin off just kills me! EEEK.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wait... are you saying you maybe liked TGL a little bit? And... I'm getting the impression you kind of like this 'Adrian' bloke? Maybe? Sometimes I find it hard to decipher, because you're so subtle about these things *nods*

    But Brooooodiiiiiee... you realise that were Adrian to murder your sanity, you'd have to... like, have had it in the first place? *hides*
    *cackles*

    BUT SERIOUSLY. ASDFGHJJKLLSDAHDADAF. YOUR REVIEW. AND THE SYDNEY AND ADRIAN. Adrian is SO Sydney's Dimka, huh? There's NO. WAY. RM would screw him over twice. I simply refuse to believe it. NOT. POSSIBLE.

    ALSO: WANNA READ BLOODLINES NOW NOW NOW NOW NOOOOOOOOW O_______O

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates