Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Review: Rapture

Author: Lauren Kate
Release Date: June 12th 2012
Publisher: Random House
Add it: Goodreads
Buy it: Amazon | Book Depository
The sky is dark with wings...

And time is running out for Luce and Daniel.

In order to stop Lucifer from erasing the past, they must find the place where the Fall began.
Only Luce can break the curse, and it is her choice alone that will decide all their fates.

But as Dark Forces gather, great sacrifices will be made in this final epic stuggle…

In the fight for Luce, and for love, who will win?

Every book in this series has offered something different in terms of setting, knowledge, characters and purpose. They each have distinct feel and Rapture proves no different. We're introduced to new people, rekindle with the old and shine a new light onto those we thought we had all figured out. Most everyone on Team Anti-Lucifer groups together at the start of the book to plan their mission for stopping the Fall. They then all branch out in groups to search for certain objects that will help in their mission to stop ol' Lucifer from striking down on earth and erasing history as we know it. There's plenty of danger, action and unfortunate deaths along the way; but when you're facing the devil himself, you'd expect nothing less.

Despite the dire situation they're in and with such little time to complete it, Rapture still offers Luce and Daniel plenty of time to bond, which fans of their ill-fated love will savour every minute of. We see more shared scenes between them than I think we have in any previous book, save for Passion. But where Passion journeyed their past lives; Rapture shows us their love in the present. I think they've both grown to learn that given the lives they've lead, no moment shared together should be taken for granted. It was nice to see them together as a couple, taking small joy in their love, especially given they stand a 50/50 chance of failing their mission.

I have really been tainted when it comes to finale books, because for nearly every series that offers a hint of paranormal, I always anticipate an epic battle akin to what we saw in Deathly Hallows. I'm working on accepting that not every book is written for that kind of war, and Rapture is one of them. Lauren did not disappoint in what she offered: Knowledge. Everything we've been waiting for is finally laid out in the open; how Luce and Daniel fell in love and what sparked their terrible curse, both of which provided a few extra spicy twists. One I suspected throughout the book, although I couldn't be 100% certain of, and another which definitely took me by surprise!

I was also quite surprised by my emotions when closing the book! Obviously I like these books, but I've never really felt an intense emotional connection to Luce and Daniel. I've always been interested in seeing how their story progressed, but it's the secondary characters like Cam, Arriane, Miles and even Bill who captured my attention more. Come time for epilogue, however? Yes, there were a few tears. I'm not ashamed to admit it! How Lauren concluded Luce and Daniel's story was really quite beautiful. The kind of ending that had me smiling through glassy eyes; happy, but an undeniable ache in my heart. These are the kind of endings I enjoy best. The ones which acknowledge that in order to gain your happily ever after, there must be sacrifice along the way.

Any fan of this series will be satisfied in devouring the secrets that have been tantalisingly held over our heads since Fallen. It played out really well and we even see an appearance from the almighty God! Rapture is a fitting conclusion to the series and offered a taste of everything we've experienced in previous books; love, betrayal, surprising revelations, murder and consequence. But facing these trials is not the same Luce we met in Fallen. She's a little wiser, a little stronger and while she's never going to be that ass-kicking kind of heroine, she's the girl in all of us who just longs for a happy ending and will fight for her right to have one. Will she succeed in the way she hopes? I guess you'll have the read the book to find out :)

4/5 Golden Apples!

15 comments:

  1. Lovely review Brodie. Like seriously: l.o.v.e.l.y.

    So I’m just about to reach halfway and I’ve been a bit up and down at the moment as it hasn’t been that moving as in speed as I’d hoped it would be. But from what I’ve read so far I feel like something massive will come about later on and you’ve given me hope for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah, I haven't read this series or anything but oh my god, this review <33 I may just read this apparently so-so series to check out these twists and aww endings LOL. Grrr...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic review, Brodie. I NEED a copy of this book now! I seriously hope the ending doesn't make me tear up . . . but we'll see when the time comes around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never really been too invested in this series but I am interested enough to see how it ends. The fact that you felt a little teary despite not really connecting emotionally with Luce and Daniel is interesting to hear! Amazing review, Brodie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to read this one (too bad my review copy went missing in the post! Argh!) I got off to a shaky start with this series, mostly because Luce and Daniel really annoyed me in Fallen, but I've grown to love it. Passion was one of my favourite books of last year, so I can't wait to see how it all ends now! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is this the last book in the series then? Have to admit I wasn't a huge fan of Fallen, but I have Torment on my TBR so I might try to get back into this series! I'm intrigued by the ending, it sounds really beautiful. Great review, Brodie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This series is probably one of my biggest guilty pleasures LOL x) I adored the first two but was mighty confuzzled by the second, so even though I'm wary to read this one, your review still makes me SUPER excited! Especially knowing that we finally get to know what's actually going on behind the whole secrecy thing that spanned four books -- I love finale books too and this sounds like an epic one! :D

    Absolutely BEAUTIFUL review, Brodie! The teary confusion sounds like a happy heartbreaker, so I'm hoping that Luce and Daniel get a sort-of-HEA...? Or at least let Cam rock the world -- he's my favourite! x) <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. So I'll admit now that this is a series that I STRONGLY dislike, but I am able to read your review and appreciate your love for it. And hey, at least it sounds like Luce learns and grows, a bit!

    I can't force myself to read this one so I might have to hit you up for the details on how it ends ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. BRODIE!!!!!!!!! I JUST FINISHED RAPTURE AND OMG IT IS AMAZING!!! I love how it wrapped the whole Fallen series and the epilogue? BEAUTIFUL.

    Awesome review, Brodie! Glad you enjoyed it! <3

    PS: Sorry I haven't been commenting on your blog lately! :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. You..you...you...*glares accusingly* HOW ON EARTH DID YOU MANAGE TO CONVINCE ME THAT RAPTURE IS WORTH READING, HUH?!?!?? I may have continued the series, but I've always considered the series a waste of time...BUT, looks like the last book may be worth my time after all! Wow...YOU SHED TEARS? OMGOMGOMGOMG SERIOUSLY?!?!? Gahhh....looks like I better read this soon! Awwwww and a beautiful ending? Hmm...I've never thought much about how the series will end- I always considered some cheesy happily ever after- but *sigh* looks like I might actually enjoy this after all!

    AMAZINGGGG REVIEW BRODIEEEEEE<3333 So glad you enjoyed this!!,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant review, Brodie! I AM SO EXCITED TO READ THIS! Ughhh. Sometimes, I really wish I read like Johnny 5 (Short Circuit), it would be so much easier to get all the books I want to read read. Oh dear. That last part could be confusing. First "read" like "weed", second "read" like "red". Cheers for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved this too!!! I haven't wrote my review yet as I'm not quite sure how to sum up how good it is. I loved the ending though, so great! Great review. Donna xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  13. UGH.
    BRODIE.
    HOW CAN YOU WRITE A REVIEW LIKE THIS, AND TELL US SO MUCH, WHILE TELLING US SO LITTLE? HUH!?

    "I have really been tainted when it comes to finale books, because for nearly every series that offers a hint of paranormal, I always anticipate an epic battle akin to what we saw in Deathly Hallows."

    OH HELL YES. But seriously, I EXPECTED an epic battle in this... it so seemed like it was where it was leading, but ANYWAY! Sounds like it was amazing, anyway! AMAZING REVIEW AS ALWAYS YOU AMAZINED BRAINED FIEND!

    ReplyDelete
  14. GAH! You have made me want to rush out and get this book. I have a love/hate relationship with this series but you've made me want to finish it out.

    I must say that I was expecting an epic battle in this one though. Hello, look who they are facing off against. There should be an epic battle. I am very surprised by this.

    Amazing review (as always). I am in awe of your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad you think that there's a fitting conclusion.... because I stopped after the second book. Which isn't like me to do that with a series. I adored Fallen. And these covers blow my mind away. I do have Passion and Rapture... I guess I'll have to get time to pick them back up! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates