Friday, June 1, 2012

What Would You Do? #1: Dualed by Elsie Chapman

Canadians Are Cool:
There's this amazing, adorably weird Canadian girl named Sonia from The Story Queen who left a comment on my Waiting on Wednesday post where I featured Dualed by Elsie Chapman. Sonia very helpfully informed me of what kind of weapons (sparkly ones!) she would use to try kill an Alternate-version of herself. Her comment, along with the fact that I was too lazy to write my review and thus had nothing else to post today, inspired me to make a new feature.

What Is It?
What Would You Do (apart from being the name of a tv show, which I was NOT aware of until I googled it just now. I thought I was just stealing it from Jesus, so any name suggestions are most welcome) will be a regular feature where I use an upcoming (or maybe an already released) book to pose a question and ask What Would You Do?

And since this is the book that started it, let's begin with Dualed by Elsie Chapman!


The Book:

Author: Elsie Chapman - Blog | Twitter | Facebook
Release Date: 26th February 2013
Publisher: Random House
Add it: Goodreads
Preorder: Amazon

Would you live through the ultimate test of survival?

The city of Kersh is a safe haven, but the price of safety is high. Everyone has a genetic Alternate—a twin raised by another family—and citizens must prove their worth by eliminating their Alts before their twentieth birthday. Survival means advanced schooling, a good job, marriage—life.

Fifteen-year-old West Grayer has trained as a fighter, preparing for the day when her assignment arrives and she will have one month to hunt down and kill her Alt. But then a tragic misstep shakes West’s confidence. Stricken with grief and guilt, she’s no longer certain that she’s the best version of herself, the version worthy of a future. If she is to have any chance of winning, she must stop running not only from her Alt, but also from love . . . though both have the power to destroy her

The Question:
If you had to kill an alternate version of yourself - how would you do it?

What Would Brodie Do?
There's always the option of going the whole Rose Hathaway ----> Isaiah route (Frostbite by Richelle Mead) and hack off my Alt's head with a blunt sword. But disturbed as I am, I'm not that disturbed. I quite like myself, so I'd rather not do that to my Alt. Plus I'm not really the charge-and-attack kind of assassin. I prefer to study my subjects and use their weaknesses against them.

So. I could:

a) Poison those vegan chocolate chip-cookies she loves so much. But I can't rule out the possibility my stomach will act before my brain and eat them with her.

b) Get J.K Rowling to tell her that Hogwarts is not real. A heart attack will likely follow. But there's a 99.9% chance I would mirror this death because OMFG J.K ROWLING IS TALKING TO A ME CLONE! and WTF, HOGWARTS IS NOT REAL? EVERYTHING I KNOW IS A LIE.

c) Track down the Fangirl Scientist who is secretly working on a machine to make real life versions of fictional boys, complete with a beating heart and sex drive (and featuring none of the below-waist shortcomings of a Ken doll). I will coerce her into using the Evil setting to create clones of  Gabriel Merrick and Adrian Ivashkov; who will then lure my Alt into a dark alley (it won't be difficult) and give her the Kiss of Death. But then I'll be alone with two of the hottest literary guys and when one thing leads to another....

Okay. So I'm not good at assassinating people without killing myself in the process. And there's always the risk that she might not be an exact replica of me and hates books or isn't vegan (gasp!). Maybe I should just team up with her and we'll dominate the world with our combined Awesomeness? THAT will show those bastards in the city of Kersh just how worthy we both are >:D


What Would YOU do?

21 comments:

  1. I am worried about you, Brodie. Very concerned in fact. haha. xD Fantastic post! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe. Sweetheart, if you're only JUST starting to worry about me, I don't think you've been paying much attention since the day you met me :P

      Thanks, Erin!

      Delete
  2. Omg Brodie! You always make me crack up, swoon, die. PROBABLY IN THAT EXACT ORDER!
    Um, did i hear Gabriel Merrick? Did i? Yes. Yes i did.
    I would probably kill my Alt by simply telling her that I can't have Gabriel Merrick because he is taken by Layne *cough* Brodie *cough*
    Or y'know, simply kill her and then oh crap she will come back as a vampire. BRING OUT THE SILVER STAKES YO. hahahaha
    This book sounds really interesting and i really want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Layne? LAYNE WHO?! WHO IS THIS IMAGINARY BOYFRIEND STEALING SWEETHEART YOU SPEAK OF?! My Alt and I may have to kill her......

      Say what? Vampire? She won't.... sparkle, will she?!

      Soooo excited to read Dualed! It's such an awesome premise!

      Delete
    2. LOL! MAYBE WE SHOULD TEAM UP WITH OUR ALTS, TRAIN TO BE ASSASSINS, AND SET OUT THE FOUR OF US ON A MISSION TO ASSASSINATE ALL THE WOMEN THAT STEAL OUR FICTIONAL MEN?

      Sparkle? PFFT! She's cooler than that! Fangs, bloodsucker, super speed, super senses, super strength. Y'know the badass type :P LOL

      Same! Can't wait to get my hand on it! WOOOAAHHHH I JUST REALISED FEB NEXT YEAR OMGGGG THATS SO FAR AWAY!

      Delete
  3. LOL YES YES YES! Canadians are TOTALLY awesome, especially my Canadian twin/sister/gush-buddy/sweet-sweet-sweet-friend Sonia!! You always know how to recognize awesome, but I have a feeling that it has to do with the fact that awesome alikes attract! x) <3

    Anywaaaaays LOL your list of ways to kill your alternate self made me burst out laughing! Poisoning cookies should be a crime, especially since we already have poisoned apples and such in fairytales! And ADRIAN IVASHKOV. That's all I have to say! I'd probably have a heart attack if I just met him -- no jokes! He's so high up on my book boyfriend list, I think he breaks it! x)

    I loooooooooooooooooooove this new feature, Brodie! And I CAN'T WAIT to read what the question will be next time -- I put my money on it that it'll be AWESOME x) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DON'T THINK I DON'T SEE YOU BEING ALL SWEET AND AMAZING, MIMI <3 I think you might be missing the fact that you are Awesome #1!

      Delete
  4. Thank you (alternate?) self for starting this because... I LOVE IT <3 <3 <3

    Haha, I just laughed my way through this entire post (except for the part where you said Hogwarts wasn't real because that's so not cool). I'm glad that I now have a list of things to do to you if you ever annoy me too much! :) (... kidding)

    GAAAAAAAH ADRIAN IVASHKOV <3 Since I haven't read Storm, you can just take Gabriel and I'll take Adrian, okay? Then everyone is happy! :D Well, except your alternate I guess... LOL.

    This feature is FABULOUS! :) I can't wait to see more posts.

    (And n'awwwww... I always knew you secretly kind of liked me)

    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh nooo I don't think I could kill a version of myself. that would be too freaky. I'm pretty sure I'd have to go with the most-painless method I could come up with. Gotta research how to kill people without them feeling too much discomfort...oh wait...is that a weird google search? Hmm...

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL!! Omg, I love this. Very good question, and I honestly don't have an answer for it yet. At least nothing as good as yours anyway. ;) But I do agree with Shooting Stars Mag that it'd be a bit freaky! And I can barely kill a fly, so myself? HMmmm.

    Ruling the world with a different version of yourself, definitely sounds like a brilliant plan though! Hahah.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Number 2 is surely a way to kill everyone, no? I think that option would work on me. ;)

    I LOVE this feature by the way! I want to steal your brain! :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post Brodie! I laughed so much reading it! I really don't know how I'll kill my alternate self.
    This sounds like a great feature!
    I wish Adrain Ivashkov and Hogwarts were real too. If I met Adrian Ivashkov I would be so happy but nervous. probably start laughing at the first word he says.
    Can't wait for future "What would you do?"s! :0

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome post!! :D I don't think I could get myself to kill an alternate version of me, unless I was really, really evil. I mean, unless the other me was.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post is made of epic!

    "...to make real life versions of fictional boys, complete with a beating heart and sex drive (and featuring none of the below-waist shortcomings of a Ken doll)." - bahahahhaha! I wan't one, I wan't one! Well, not the Ken doll...but a FICTION BOY! Yum ;D

    Brodie, your crazy and I love you. <333

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a clever idea! Brodie, you're awesome!

    So, I would get in contact with an idiot from my past, and make him aware of my Alt's existance/whereabouts, etc, in some way. Because he's him, he will jump at the opportunity to find her in order to play with her feelings and inflate his ego further. Once he has been broken her heart by being the complete douchebag he is, I shall come along while she's all depressed and blah, and kill her in whichever way I pleased, because she'll be too upset to actually fight back.

    That... or I will see her, remember exactly what it was like, and end up hugging her while we both cried. Hmm. Maybe not a good idea.

    Unfortunately, I have to go out now. But I shall put more thought into this and come back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brain failed me, and I couldn't think of anything else. Hmm. HOWEVER! It did remind me of Insurgent, kind of. If you know what I mean. :)

      Delete
  12. I think I laughed for five straight minutes at the line, "...I thought I was stealing it from Jesus."

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know, I got through that entire post with many nods, laughs and giggles until the very last bit and then I stalled.

    TWO BRODIE'S? I don't know if the world could handle it. So, you know, if it happens, let me know because I'll come running with my Fayezer outfit and my fire and kill your clone for you.
    PROBLEM SOLVED.

    As for the question... ummm.... I would probably don on my outfit, get the flame and set myself alight....

    Then run away - no one wants to hear themselves screaming to death.

    Or MAYBE I'll get them in a car, go up to 120MPH, jam the break, jump out the car and let it drive over a cliff... you know... because my whole 'tuck, duck and roll' is just on fire lately...

    *cough*

    Or I won't kill my clone, I'll send her to your house to watch you from the window. *snickers*

    ReplyDelete
  14. +JMJ+

    I'd send a Terminator because I know my alternate self would love that. =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL. Brodie. I don't know whether to laugh or have you committed :P. I LOVE this post. I love it. You deserve some kind of award for its awesomeness. Anyway, I think if I had to kill my alternate...I would hire an extremely attractive boy to keep her distracted while I made a poisonous chocolate cake. Then I would get hot boy to feed my clone the cake. She'd die and I'd have him to myself ;). Hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. But Brooooodie, if I tell you, then you'll KNOW :P
    But I do rather like hot idea of the combined awesome of Brodie x 2! Can you imagine Sarah x 2? *cackles* the POSSIBILITIES. I could literally be I'm two places at one! Like, under the bed, AND at the window! I not only like this idea, I LOVE.
    Seriously, though... The easiest way to off me would be to poison my coffee. And it'd be so easy. I'm a super slow drinker, so I frequently leave my desk and coffee unattended and... Why am I telling you this? *gulps coffee* owowowowowow, BURNS!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates