Thursday, August 23, 2012

Don't Judge A Book By It's Cover #3

There's no denying a beautiful cover helps influence our decision in buying a book. And hey, we're shallow creatures! So this is an opportunity to not judge a book by it's cover and solely by it's fantastic summary. Of course, no cover means that the release date is likely a long way off, but it's a chance to add it to your Goodreads lists and stay up to date when the exciting cover reveal does come!


This week's pick...

The Night Itself (The Katana Trilogy #1) by Zoë Marriott
Release Date: 2013
Publisher: Walker Books
Add to: Goodreads

A breathtaking new urban fantasy trilogy from the critically acclaimed, award winning author of The Swan Kingdom and Shadows on the Moon.

When fifteen year old Mio Yamato furtively sneaks the katana - an ancestral Japanese sword - out of its hiding place in her parent's attic to help liven up her Christmas party costume, she has no idea of the darkness she is about to unleash on modern day London, or the family secrets that she is going to uncover.

The paralysing paranoia that descends on her before she gets to her friend's party is her first clue. The vivid and terrifying visions that nearly get her killed are a pretty good warning too.

The giant nine-tailed cat demon that comes after the sword and tries to rip her throat out? Overkill.

Seconds away from becoming kitty-food, Mio accidentally releases Shinobu, a warrior boy who has been trapped within the sword for centuries. He saves her life and sends the demon running. But it's already too late. Mio has ruptured the veil between the mortal realm and the Underworld, and now the gods and monsters of ancient Japan stalk the streets of London, searching for her and the sword.

With the help of her best friend Jack, a fox spirit named Hikaru - and the devoted protection of the betwitchingly familiar Shinobu - Mio attempts to discover the true nature of the sword and its connection to the Yamato family. Because if she doesn't learn how to control the katana's incredible powers, she's in danger of being overwhelmed by them. And if she can't keep the sword safe from the terrible creatures who want it for their own, she'll lose not only her own life... but the love of a lifetime.


My thoughts:
Um... WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT!!! The gods and monsters of Japan unleashed upon London? HOW AWESOME IS THAT GOING TO BE? A nine-tailed cat demon and katanas and fox spirits and a heroic warrior boy and.. why is this book not out yet?? So excited!

You can find Zoë Marriott at:

21 comments:

  1. I don't even NEED to read the synopsis to know this is going to be awesome. I love Zoe's books! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will I be shot for admitting I have yet to read one of Zoe's novels?? NOT FOR LACK OF INTEREST, THOUGH! I really want to get into them soon!!

      Delete
  2. I hadn't heard of The Night Itself before you brought it to my attention, but I have to agree, it sounds entertaining and badass. Have I mentioned I ADORE this meme? Brodie has smart brain! Smartie! Yum ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you, Becca! I always hoped my brain would be tasty when the zombie apocalypse hits. If the world ends, I want to be kickass heroine fighting off the monsters salivating to eat me for a change :D

      YES, THE NIGHT ITSELF SOUNDS SO BADASS!

      Delete
  3. WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    THIS SOUNDS SO INCREDIBLY AWESOME. Loving all the Japanese inspired books coming out. And this one is... oh my... *chains hands to the bedposts* AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHWWEEEEEEE!

    Alright. I’m on it. I’m writing my own Japanese book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU MISSED A WANT!

      Seriously, I think Japanese inspired books ARE THE NEXT BIG THING. So do hibernate for a few months so you can join the OMFG-AWESOME-JAPANESE-BOOK-ALERT shelves next to Stormdancer and The Night Itself.

      WE'RE WAITING.

      Delete
  4. Japan? Katanas? Monsters? Yup, I'm sold!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MY THOUGHT PROCESS EXACTLY.

      Except I'm not too keen on that 2013 part :(

      Delete
  5. Whaaat? Is this a dream or is this reality? I mean, warriors, demons, spirits, and katanas? I must be in heaven... This book looks AWESOME Brodie! I wouldn't have heard about it if it wasn't for you, so thank you SO much for sharing! Excuse me while I'm off to add this to my TBR-Shelf and lament over the 2013 release date! ;)

    ~Keertana
    Ivy Book Bindings

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unleashing a taste of Japan on London? YES, gimme ;) *whines like a three-year-old* I want, I want! Wow, just WOW! I don't care if the cover is rubbish, I am getting this book! Come on, who doesn't want a helping of warriors and gods and spirits? And I'm loving the sound of Shinobu ;)

    Why can't this book be out now?! I NEED it.

    Thanks for sharing, Brodie (or not because now I need to wait until 2013 for this amazing book) <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started squealing when I saw the word "katanas" and "warriors". :D I'm so excited about all these recent YA fantasy novels with infused Asian influences. And this book sounds MINDBLOWING. Awesome, fantastic pick Brodie!

    The funny thing is, if this book displayed a hideous cover, I would be less inclined to read it. Cure my shallowness and vanity!

    Why must it come out in 2013?! *weeps*

    ReplyDelete
  8. This does sound good! I haven't read anything by this author before but I definitely want to give this book a try. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i have this one on my must watch shelf . ha haa. gr8 post

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Brodie. I am intrigued, but not yet sold. I shall keep my eyes open for more about this book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can get a good feel from this one by judging the series name and the author's previous work and it deffo sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG.
    BRODIE.

    WHERE DID YOU FIND THIS? IT SOUNDS AMAZING AND I WAAAAANT. WANT WANT WANT.

    Haunted, magical katanas?
    Japanese Spirits?
    LONDON?

    *IS DYING*
    *IS DEAD*

    I want to see this cover O__O

    ReplyDelete
  13. BRODIE BRODIE BRODIE BRODIE BRODIE BRODIE BRODIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

    I am going to hyperventilate. I can't believe I'd never heard of this before but MAY I OFFER YOU MY FIRST BORN CHILD IN EXCHANGE FOR MORE OF THESE POSTS? (Um... just kidding, evil overlord...)

    This sounds.... amazing. Supercalafragalistic AMAZING.

    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  14. The cat did it for me! I read The swan kingdom and I absolutely loved it, so I can't wait to read this one. It sounds really good and I can't wait for the cover! I want to know how they are going to translate the blurb into a fitting picture.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, wow. Thank you so much for bringing this one to my attention, Brodie! Good grief, this sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ZOE MARRIOTT!! Love love love for this woman! The picture for your feature reminds me of THE MOST POPULAR BOOK IN THE WHOLE WORLD... a Twilight fan-fiction. It's amazingly bad. :P Aaaaanyway, just OMG this synopsis sounds AMAZING!

    I won't shoot you Brodie for not having read any of Zoe's books, but get on it soon! Barely anyone else writes Asian-inspired fantasy and by golly she writes them hella goodly.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so going to read one of Zöe's books in 2012! I have set my eyes on
    'Shadows on the Moon' and now 'The Night Itself' is added on my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates