Monday, September 17, 2012

Books Talk #2: Vessel by Sarah Beth Durst

What's this?

Rather than question the author or their characters, why not ask the book?! Surely it knows itself better than anyone? So I provide authors with a list of potential questions (along with explanations), they choose a few to answer and then take on the personality of their book! Thanks to Mandee for the name suggestion :)
_______________________

Vessel by Sarah Beth Durst 


In a desert world of sandstorms and sand-wolves, a teen girl must defy the gods to save her tribe in this mystical, atmospheric tale from the author of Drink, Slay, Love.

Liyana has trained her entire life to be the vessel of a goddess. The goddess will inhabit Liyana’s body and use magic to bring rain to the desert. But Liyana’s goddess never comes. Abandoned by her angry tribe, Liyana expects to die in the desert. Until a boy walks out of the dust in search of her.

Korbyn is a god inside his vessel, and a trickster god at that. He tells Liyana that five other gods are missing, and they set off across the desert in search of the other vessels. For the desert tribes cannot survive without the magic of their gods. But the journey is dangerous, even with a god’s help. And not everyone is willing to believe the trickster god’s tale.

The closer she grows to Korbyn, the less Liyana wants to disappear to make way for her goddess. But she has no choice: She must die for her tribe to live. Unless a trickster god can help her to trick fate—or a human girl can muster some magic of her own.

I must admit, I'm a little starstruck this evening. It's not every day you get to chat with a book in the company of gods. I encourage you all to bow down before the awe-inspiring VESSEL by Sarah Beth Durst, and once you've listened to its almighty words, run to your nearest bookstore because it's out NOW!

What do you look for in a reader, Vessel?
I look for a reader who wants to be swept away to a faraway land... someone who wants to ride horses across a desert, dance under the moonlight with a trickster god, or face down an emperor.

Does it make you uncomfortable to think readers may be caught licking your cover?
Not really. They're the ones who will get sand on their tongues.

What's your personality type?
I'm romantic and adventurous. Also, thirsty.

What's your favourite song/music?
Anything with deep, sonorous drums. I'm also partial to "Desert Rose" by Sting.

Your race - Books - are generally conceived from a human's mind. But if books bred like humans, who would your parents be?
I'm the daughter of THE BLUE SWORD by Robin McKinley and THE WOMAN WHO RIDES LIKE A MAN by Tamora Pierce. My author read them both in sixth grade, and they convinced her that deserts are magical places. I, of course, agree.

What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?
I love to dance! Unfortunately, as an inanimate rectangle, I cannot perform the kinds of leaps and spins that my characters can, but I love that dance is both ephemeral and eternal -- ephemeral because it happens in a moment and then is gone; eternal because when you dance, you are engaging in a means of expression as old as all of human history. It's therefore the perfect way to contact the souls of deities.

Your most treasured possession?
I love my knife made from the unbreakable glass scale of a sky serpent. Liyana's four-year-old brother Jidali gave it to her in secret when her clans abandoned her to die.

Are you an animal lover?
I love my desert horses and my wolves made of sand. I have mixed emotions about the monstrous worms.

Give us the scoop on your protagonist - do you enjoy her company on every page? Or do you find her intolerable?
I have great admiration for Liyana. She's brave and practical, willing to sacrifice herself to save her family, even though she doesn't want to die.

Many of us female readers can become a little... fangirly when it comes to book boys. Are you just as smitten with Korbyn as Liyana is?
Korbyn, my trickster god. He walks out of a sandstorm to save Liyana -- and she threatens to skewer him.

What are you hoping to achieve from your new career as a celebrity in the book world?
I hope to help readers escape whatever is bothering them in the real world and take them on an adventure.

Thank you so much for interviewing me! And my author thanks you, too!
_______________________________________________________________________

Thank you so much for stopping by, VESSEL! And please give your author my number, I'm a wee bit of a fangirl! Readers, what say you? Magic, gods, sand-wolves and a knife made  from the unbreakable glass scale of a sky serpent... I dunno about you, but I am EXCITED to read this!

You can find Sarah at:
_______________________________________________________________________

If you're an author and interested in me chatting with your fabulous book, feel free to shoot me an email! You can look over some potential questions here, or answer using your own, using whatever personality you adapt for your book. Fun!
_______________________________________________________________________

If you're a reader and have any question suggestions that you'd be willing to let me add to this list,  you're totally awesome and I love you and you can share them here.

12 comments:

  1. I just really love this feature Brodes. Like seriously. That spare time answer is the best haha! Can’t wait to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so welcome, Brodes! :)

    And this sounds fantastic, I love that Vessel likes to dance and I am so intrigued by the wolves made of sand, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post! My copy of this book should be coming this week or the next. Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woah, this sounds so good! I've been a little skeptical about this one because I wasn't sure if it was for me, but I just know I HAVE to pick this one up now! Wolves made of sand? I. Am. Sold! Awesome post, Brodie! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great feature! I'm really looking forward to read this book. The cover and the premise are just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I do love this feature, it's so fun! I'm not entirely sure if I like the sound of this book or not. I know it's completely ridiculous, but among other things, the desert setting puts me off. I'm not the biggest fan of sand, and though I won't literally be there, I will in my head, and... agh. Sand storms in my head aren't fun. I know, as I said, ridiculous.

    Nice to see you have a name! I did think of one myself, but unnecessary now, it seems :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Romantic and adventurous? I do like the sound of VESSEL. ;) I won't be licking the cover this time around. As gorgeous as it is, I don't like the thought of a mouthful of sand...

    Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh goodness, Vessel, you sexy thing.

    Seriously, this sounds AMAZING. AND HOW HAD I NOT HEARD OF IT BEFORE?! It's reminding me of some kind of an epic cross between Runemarks and Dune. WANT WANT WANT.

    Oh goodness, and the cover? *drools* ONTO THE TBR YOU GO, PRETTY SANDY BOOK! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooooh, this book does sound really good! It had some great answers, didn't it? :D

    I will definitely be keeping an eye out for this one so that when I next get paid I can go run and buy it!

    Thanks for sharing it's thoughts with us Brodie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Vessel sounds so unique. The desert part really hooked me in. How many books have that setting??! Sand-wolves and gods. Oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lol this is a fantastic feature! So different. I love it. This book sounds soooo good, I really need to read something by this author cause her books sound so cool

    also see you're reading The False Prince atm..I loved that. Just posted a review in fact

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates