Friday, September 21, 2012

Review: The Lost Prince by Julie Kagawa

Author: Julie Kagawa
Release Date: October 23rd (US) | 1st November 2012 (AUS)
Publisher: HarlequinTEEN
Thanks to: HarlequinTEEN Australia for the review copy!
Don’t look at Them. Never let Them know you can see Them.

That is Ethan Chase’s unbreakable rule. Until the fey he avoids at all costs—including his reputation—begin to disappear, and Ethan is attacked. Now he must change the rules to protect his family. To save a girl he never thought he’s dare to fall for.

Ethan thought he had protected himself from his older sister’s world—the land of Faery. His previous time in the Iron Realm left him with nothing but fear and disgust for the world Meghan Chase has made her home, a land of myths and talking cats, of magic and seductive enemies. But when destiny comes for Ethan, there is no escape from a danger long, long forgotten.

My name is Ethan Chase. And I may not live to see my eighteenth birthday.

After falling in love with The Iron Fey series, of course I was bouncing with glee over a spin-off. A spin-off featuring a very grown up Ethan Chase, younger brother to our original heroine. While The Lost Prince didn't quite make it into the same league as it's predecessor for me, I don't see this as a negative because it wasn't until The Iron Daughter that I became a fan of Meghan's story. So on turning the final page, all I can say is, 'Bring on The Traitor Son!'

Ethan Chase. There is a lot of back and forth in Ethan's mind; his hate and fear warring with his love for his sister. He wants to see her, he doesn't. Should he forgive her? He can't ever forgive her. There's plenty of angst, but it's believable. He may have only been 4 years old when the fey kidnapped him, but he's had to deal with the ramifications his entire life. They took his sister, tore apart his family and ruined any shred of normalcy he could ever hope for. He never lets people get close; it's safer that way, for both himself and the rest of the world. The asshole persona he projects is at odds with the nice, yet troubled boy within. I can't say he quite charmed me the way Ash and Puck did, but I do like him, and he still has plenty of time to woo me over!

Human he may be, but Ethan's far from defenceless. He knows tricks of the trade in warding of faeries, not to mention he's a badass trained in Kali. Boy can do some serious damage with a weapon. Still, he can never quite escape the fey. So when he's thrust back into the world of his nightmares, dragging a human girl along with him, Ethan's in for one wild ride. Secrets, family drama, a missing phouka and a rising war; the time of evading the fey is long gone. Ethan's right in the middle of a dangerous game involving a creepy, haunting group of faeries who refuse to be forgotten any longer.

Of course, we're treated to a few familiar faces. Razor is adorable as ever and Puck is... well, PUCK! Meghan and Ash weren't as exciting for me, but I think that's because Ethan holds a lot of animosity toward those two, so I wasn't reading about how brave and smexy Ash was courtesy of Meghan's lusty thoughts. Point of View changes things! While none of newer characters have captured my heart the way the original group did, I still think they'll sparkle more in the coming books. That's not to say they're an uninteresting bunch. Kenzie is the leading lady in Ethan's life. Curious (nosy, nosy girl!), headstrong and comes pre-packaged with a spine (sometimes an upgrade we have to wait for with our YA ladies). I thought she was a good match for Ethan: patient and caring, but stubborn enough to put up with his attitude and call him on his crap.

And then there's a fey boy with a secret, a secret those who've read The Iron Knight can easily guess at, but for newcomers it will be a fun surprise. Ah, Keirran. His was an appearance I was most excited for, however he didn't quite live up to the Keirran we previously caught glimpse of. My first impression: 'Ooh, I kinda like you!' Last impression: 'Agh, idiot!' I think many will will enjoy his romantic, 'I will do anything to protect the one I love' side, but it was hard for me not to growl at his stupidity at times, particularly toward the end. Some of his heroic romantic beliefs vaguely mirror Ash putting everything on the line to be with Meghan, but I felt much more depth behind Ash's motives. Not finding Keirran's love interest all that memorable could be colouring my judgement. Regardless, I'm interested to see what impact his decisions will have on the coming books, because it does promise plenty of juicy drama and complications.

No Julie Kagawa novel would be complete without kickbutt action sequences, sneaky faeries, romance of the very complicated kind and a cat who thinks knows he's better than the NeverNever and human world combined. The Lost Prince checks every Kagawa prerequisite and promises an exciting, treacherous journey ahead!

3.5/5 Golden Apples!

Add The Lost Prince to Goodreads
______________________________________________________________________________

Are you the biggest IRON FEY fan?!

HarlequinTEEN Australia is looking for the biggest Iron Fey fan! Is it you? If it is, you could have the chance to read The Lost Prince early, plus score an exclusive spot as guest reviewer on their TV review show, talking about your favourite fey books! (why, those Kagawa ones, of course!).

Follow this link for all the details on how to enter, including a video from the gorgeous Polina <3

Also, until 30th September 2012, you can purchase the eBooks of The Iron Fey series for just $2.99 each! That is what we refer to these days as a freaking BARGAIN.

12 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed this book. I, on the other hand, was quite disappointed but I still ended up liking it too. Now I liked Ethan to a certain extent but not that much either so I hope he'll grow on me in the next book but I absolutely loved Keirran's character despite his idiotic romantic side (poor boy) but that was just because I didn't like his love interest which probably reflected bad things on him. But on the plus side of thngs I'm really happy that some of the Iron Fey cast made a reappearance (especially PUCK!) . . . can't wait to see what book 2 has to offer!

    Brilliant review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the original series, but I think I might like this one even more. Ethan sounds far more interesting than Meghan was at first, although admittedly, she got better with time. I'll be honest, until I read this review, I wasn't sure about this at all, but I'm now certain I want it as soon as possible.
    Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I'm reading the entire series for the cat alone.
    Smexy faery boys are just an amusing diversion :D

    ASDFDHDHA. SERIOUSLY. BRODIE.
    The Lost Prince turned up in my mailbox yeterday, and your review has totally just given me the motivation to read the series so I can read it :D

    Uh, and the pre-packaged spininess may have made menkaugh out loud. You know. In public O__o

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, this sounds great which makes me happy because I received an arc! I'm going to start the Iron Fey series asap so I can get to this and meet Ethan! I'm glad that despite not being as good as TIF it's sill pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. gr8 review . almost finished . i love ethan lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmmm I have an ARC of this one and I'm wondering whether I'll enjoy it. I only read the first book in the Iron Fey series and I wasn't a huge fan. Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Incredible review, Brodie! While this installment seems to be better than the Iron Fey Series, which unfortunately didn't work out for me, I feel as if I might need to finish them to understand this, so this series is going to be another one I don't pick up. Still, Ethan seems to be a MUCH better character than Meghan, to me at least, and Kagawa's writing has improved when I last read The Immortal Rules, so I'm sure her prowess as a writer can only furhter be seen in this installment. I'm thrilled you liked this one so maybe someday I'll pick it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read a Julie Kagawa book yet :( But I'm really eager to start with this one - just look at that cover ;)

    I love reading from a guy's point of view and I want to see how Ethan deals with his inner battles and how his relationship with his sister then develops. It's great that Kagawa introduces new characters for readers to fall in love with as well!

    Fab review, Brodie <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome review, I received an ARC of this but haven't read the Iron Fey series, do you think this is still worth a read! Great blog :)
    Alex @ Possession of Books

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've had this on my pile for a while now, but still haven't read it! I'll make an attempt on it soon hopefully. How can I not after this amazing review?! ;) I'm so glad to see you enjoyed it. I'm also REALLY glad to hear Puck is in this book. I don't think I've gotten over him yet! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah! I really dislike you. I wish I could read my ARC of this now... *grumbles* Stupid reading list. Curious to see whether I prefer this or the original series! I wasn't the biggest fan of TIF so maybe I have better luck with liking this more haha. Can't wait to meet this new set of characters :D

    Lisa | Read Me Bookmark Me Love Me

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful review <3 I wished I already read my eARC, because Netgalley made a new website and all my accepted book are gone :( so I hope that they will allow my new request again, otherwise I will be devastated.

    Anyways,
    PUCK. I totally can't wait to see him again :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates