Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Guest Post: Converting a reluctant YA reader, Dr Seuss style!


by Alexandra from Alexandra Scribbles

A conversation. In homage of Dr Seuss’ classic Green Eggs and Ham.


Hey, do you like to read YA?

No I don’t, I don’t I say
Vamps and weres, assassins and kings?
I’d rather read of sensible things.

Would you read one about a girl
Who falls for the god of the underworld?
Or one about a girl whose touch can kill
Across the pages her hopes and heartaches spill.

No, I wouldn’t read those books
I’d rather read of chefs and cooks.

Would you read one about a guy
With long, long lashes, smile wide as the sky
And the girl who’s grieving her big sis
And growing up in all of this?
Another book, another sister gone
Another girl learning how to go on
She takes a road-trip to surf and sun.
There’s music, love, a concert – fun!
Or there’s the boy who makes sculptures of metal
Sees beauty in flaws, refuses to settle
For less than the truth, and the girl who finds
Forever in each moment, each moment of time.
Would you read any of those?
I just know you’d love whichever you chose.

No! If I wanted to hear teenagers whining
I’d flick on TV, and watch the shows lining
Cable channels, like MTV
YA is not, is not for me.

But won’t you even just give it a try?
This one has a romance that’ll make you sigh
Best friends turned a couple – and if that’s not enough
The girl solves murders and other cool stuff!
She’s got this gift – she can sense the dead
As an echo, a sense, inside her head.
Speaking of couples, you can’t go past
An über-hot brother ensemble cast
The Merrick boys – and Hunter too –
Will inspire some serious swooning in you
They wield the elements – earth and air
Fire, water and spirit – oh HELL yeah!
Or

NO!
Do you not hear me when I speak?
These books are simple and intellectually weak.
Insta-love triangles and issues you say?
I shall not, will not, read YA.

Just one. A tiny little look and see.
A page, a chapter? Please? For me?

OK, FINE.
*mutter mutter the things I do mutter mutter*
Hmmm.
Actually, this is not quite so bad.
I can kind of identify with the struggles she’s had.
And him – I know how outsider feels.
And um, will you judge me if I squeal?
It’s just it’s so hard not to get invested
Especially when I see my team being bested.
Team Adrian – or Dimitri! Team Xander – or Ky?
And oh, when Mia’s grandfather gives her the OK to die!
OMFG, I BAWLED MY EYES OUT.
And oh holy crap – what’s next for Tris and Four?
And I want more of Jace – lots, lots more!
Holly Black’s fey are delightfully dark
Kagawa’s too are no walk in the park
And a vampire with her own personal GA?
I have to finish this series today!
But I also have to, have to find out
What Hannah’s manuscript is all about.
And how it relates – and who is who
In relation to Taylor and the rest of the crew
So many books, and not enough time
Cricket – forget Lola and please be mine.
I take back the ridiculous things I did say
And solemnly swear that I love YA.


Books mentioned –

Everneath by Brodi Ashton, Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi, The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson, Saving June by Hannah Harrington, The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen, The Body Finder Series by Kimberly Derting, The Elementals trilogy by Brigid Kemmerer, the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead, Matched by Allie Condie, If I Stay by Gayle Forman, Insurgent by Veronica Roth, the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare and/or Falling to Ash by Karen Mahoney, the Tithe trilogy by Holly Black, the Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa, the Tantalize series by Cynthia Leitich Smith, Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta, Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins)

______________________________________________________________________________

Isn't this girl crazy talented?! Thank you so, so, SO much for sharing this absolutely BRILLIANT piece with us, Alexandra!! I am honoured to be posting it on my blog for everyone to read. Every time you made reference to a novel I read and loved, I squealed with delight. And oh, it's just so perfect and true and isn't it the BEST feeling ever when you're successful in converting a reluctant YA reader? <3

You can find Alexandra at 
Blog | Twitter
 

18 comments:

  1. WOW . . . what an awesome guest post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is just perfect! It was fun to try to find the books and I recognized some of them. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This poem is simply amazing! I loved it! I loved recognising the stories I had read. Some lines can relate to other books not mentioned too. I have to say I thought of Alderson's Lila Series when Jace was mentioned. Oooh, I loved it! And it makes me want to dive in to all those books again! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG this is AWESOME! I want to break out into my own version now. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaahh, this is awesome! I wouldn't be able to write something like this in years, so amazing post! :D I loved reading this, so thank you!(:

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic poem! It's really fun when I recognize some of the story just by reading lines pertaining to it. I want to read more!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aaaaaaaaaah! Alex! Brodie! I LOVE THIS.
    BOTH OF YOU. YOU GENIUS PEOPLES ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah-mahzing! Nice work, I loved trying to pick out all the references (and thanks for including the list so I could see which ones I'd missed!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG you guys that is an AMAZING poem! There certainly is plenty of choice available for people in YA and reading in general.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely fantastic! I will be sharing this link on my Sunday Post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alex will never stop amazing me with her brilliant talent. *bows down to the goddess of it all*

    Simply perfect poem. Absolutely freakin' brilliant!! o_O

    ReplyDelete
  12. So, Alex... I am starting to think that you are my book soulmate? AHH, I LOVE SO MANY OF THE BOOKS THAT YOU MENTIONED! Not to mention felt the exact same feelings <3

    You are AMAZINGLY talented! <3 I love this post to infinity and beyond, it just past perfect :) Thank you so much for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gosh, this is just stunningly awesome! FANTASTICNESS IS THIS POST!

    ReplyDelete
  14. THIS IS AMAZING! I laughed so hard! Perfect answer to those crazy people who have no respect for YA. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you SOOO MUCH everyone! I love you all! xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I adore this post; it's so creative and utterly fantastic! I had a lot of fun guessing the titles of books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW! This was simply amazing!! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is crazy cool! I will have to share this around! :D

    So very very creative!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates