Monday, November 12, 2012

Guest Post: The How and Why of loving books



Books. That’s what it’s about, right? They’re friends, the really good ones, and perhaps we make (as Harry Potter thinks about Draco Malfoy in The Chamber of Secrets), the occasional “arch enemy” out of ones we don’t get along with so well. Books can capture something in their pages that can make you cry or laugh, and one of the best things about them is the fact that you can go back to them whenever you want.

Yet now and again you may ask yourself two questions: How being the first, and Why being the second. To add more light to these two questions, I made a chart, which applies to a novel you’re loving.


The How and Why, explained:
How does this book do all these things do me? Why does it do these things to me? How am I so connected with these characters, why do I feel as if they’re a part of me?

I’m definitely not a professional book decipher, I literally just spelt “professional” incorrectly, but I, like everyone, have ideas and I am going to share a few of them. There’s the wonderful quote -



And that’s us. We’re the readers, we live alongside many fandoms, we share our love for these characters, even if they broke our hearts into many tiny little pieces and then stamped on them for good measure.

So why do we love books so much? Why do we feel an instant connection and the blossom of love when we start reading some books and not others? Here’s what I think. It’s because you’re reading about people you aspire to, who you see a yourself in. You fall in love with the world and wish you could live in it yourself, and when you can love Katniss, Luna, Hazel Grace, Augustus, Peeta, Harry, Finnick, Annie, Four, Tris and so many other amazing characters why would you settle for anything else?

When we open a book we have the opportunity of living two lives, one between the paper and one quite different one. We can be reassured that nothing will change when we go away and we can always go back if things in this life take a turn for the fictional. We give so much to these places inside the pages. In return they promise never to leave us, no matter how what happens. These books become a part of us, of our lives and that is more than okay. It’s wonderful. It’s as it should be. Without it, what would life be?

There are OTP’s and Ships and we are at the base of all of these things. The reading community starts this and makes a bigger community, a community that grows with every page turned, a community you will always be welcomed in to, and to sum these relationships up I have two very small lines to say:

endless joy

crying constantly

And so, of course, we come to the deaths. Your favourite character, the one you’ve rooted for all along or the one you fell in love with at the same time the heroine/hero did; the one you hated all along (and I think a lot of you know who I’m talking about now) who, in the last moments of life, show the best part of themselves and turn you into a wet mess. If authors knew what we went through, would they keep it up?

Probably.

Characters fight to the death, the cast spells together, they fall in love, they push that love away, they die. You’re left speechless, not even able to enunciate how you feel, silently asking why it had to happen to that character. Why couldn’t someone else have sacrificed them self, why couldn’t the author have written in a different name.

For a time, you may be left sobbing into your hands, only able to turn the pages which you have made sure stay as dry as possibly between your tears, because you know you have to keep going on, no matter what. It comes close to breaking you, but you have to keep reading. Because it’s life. Pure and simple (though simultaneously neither of either). To read is to be alive, to stop is like taking away all the air in the world, in a dramatic and honest sense.

Now we come to part 2. The books we don’t like.

Are we prejudice against some books before we even start reading them? Why do we, on occasion, judge books by their covers and not their content, decide we wouldn’t like to read that book because of the nauseating cover, and will definitely read this one because of it’s enticing one, when the one you don’t like the look of might change your life for the better and the one you choose might change it for the worse.

Perhaps we read reviews of them and that particular person didn’t like it and so you decide not to bother reading it, maybe it has too many labels on it, it’s tagged as being the next big hit- that can get tiring, seeing “The biggest thing since Harry Potter!!!” or, “The next Hunger Games!” or what have you, sprawled over the cover. If those are books you don’t like, why would you pick it up? If those are books you love, the expectation, the expectation, an expectation that isn’t easy to quench. And perhaps sometimes luck is against us, so we put aside those books.

I just hope that if we pass up on the one that will change us for the better we still have another chance at reading it, even if that chance doesn’t come along for many years.




I can’t live without books. They’ll break me, they’ll tear my heart to shreds, and yet I wouldn’t give them up for anything in the world. I wouldn’t ever let anyone take away the thousands of other lives I live, I couldn’t let part of my being be taken from me, because books are me- without them I would never be who I am and I would be entirely someone I am not.

I saw a post on Tumblr recently that basically summed me up, and it went something like this…


So that’s what I’ll do now, to finish this off as neatly as I can, with a few books that I think will destroy you in the best possible way. Obviously we’ve got The Hunger Games, my favourite series, specifically Mockingjay, and Harry Potter, probably The Order of the Phoenix for me. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Why we Broke Up by Daniel Handler. I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith. Black Heart Blue by Louisa Reid.

Go on, break your hearts. You know you want to.

In books we have the chance to live another life, the chance to take a step away from our everyday life and live another. And, maybe most importantly, we have the chance to find out what is important to us - we get to decide how we live and books, for me at least, influence that decision.

You can find Romi on: Blog | Goodreads | Twitter
______________________________________________________________________________

Thanks so much for your fantastic post, Romi! I think I nearly all of us can relate so much to her words. I especially love her paragraph with, "I can’t live without books. They’ll break me, they’ll tear my heart to shreds, and yet I wouldn’t give them up for anything in the world." This is ME. No matter how much books ruin me, it would ruin me more to give them up <3

26 comments:

  1. Ohh, wow, I was totally absorbed by everything you wrote and this line:

    "I couldn’t let part of my being be taken from me, because books are me- without them I would never be who I am and I would be entirely someone I am not."

    Just sums up why I love books so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm so glad the post spoke to you, I had such a blast writing it and I got to make a CHART! I MADE A CHART ABOUT BOOKS! That was awesome. Totally and absolutely awesome.x

      Delete
  2. AMAZING guest post! You've hit the nail on the head - books speak to us, they're life, and as such, we can't help but become invested in some of them. In fact, all of my most life-changing moments have come from reading books. If anything has shaped me, it is them and their characters and the thoughts of their authors. I love all the quotes you picked and truly, this is such a mesmerizing piece. Incredible! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaahhhhhh thank you so so so much! I can't believe how kind that is of you THANK YOU! I would probably have absolutely NO memories if it weren't for books and I would definitely not be the person I have become with them. Imagine never learning to read- why learn to write, even? x

      Delete
  3. Such a great post! I agree wholeheartedly! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! We book lovers need to come up with a fancy hand clap and sayings and everything...

      Delete
  4. What a great post! I'm sure every reader can find something there to relate to. I completely agree about books destroying me sometimes (most of the time, in fact!), but it's the sort of torture I enjoy as it makes it obvious just how much emotion I am feeling because of someone's words. I love that! And Brodie, yes, it would be MUCH worse to ever give that up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much for your awesome and totally fantastic comment! EXACTLY- books torture you and it's the best thing in the world. Someone asks how they can completely destroy you and you can just say, "Hand me a book." Mine would be a HP book or Mockingjay.

      Delete
  5. This is a gorgeous guest post that I just want to copy and paste into my word document to keep for years and years and years.
    It is inspirational and amazing and brilliant and so, so, so freaking true! There are books that turn me into a complete and utter mess, break me into a thousand million pieces but I would still carry on reading.
    My dad once said to me that "if you cry while watching a film, it means that you've connected to it in the most magical way, you've let it into your heart." - I would totally say this about books too <3 Those that leave us crying are the ones that have truly touched our hearts.

    Also... TOTP is the BEST Harry Potter book, and yay for Black Heart Blue being mentioned! I like Roni quite a bit now. Yes, yes I do <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT TO SAY I AM JUST SPEECHLESS!
      Oh my gosh you've just said one of the absolute nicest things I've ever heard and/or read- THANK YOU.
      Exactly- Keep calm and carry on is surely the true worldwide slogan for bookreaders everywhere. Such an amazing thing said by your dad- definitely applies to books for me- Tears for Phoenix.
      THANK YOU AGAIN.x

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful post! I think every reader can relate to this one way or another. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci merci merci! That is so extrodinarily kind of you! I hope so, it would be amazing if I wrote something that so many people could see a part of their lives in! x

      Delete
  7. I love this post! Yes, we can totally get what you mean by this. <3

    Oh and these are my fave lines: "I can’t live without books. They’ll break me, they’ll tear my heart to shreds, and yet I wouldn’t give them up for anything in the world." You took the words right out of my mouth and heart! <3

    Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear that- thank you so much for your awesome words!
      AAAHHHHHHH I'm going to burst into a pile of happiness and words if I re-read that line! THANK YOU I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO SAY BUT CAPS IS THE ONLY WAY TO DESCRIBE ALL MY FEELS!
      x

      Delete
  8. Incredible, incredible post! Your lines are so quotable and beautifully said, and you very clearly expressed the very reason why some only see books as cumbersome boredom, while to true readers- books are our burning passion and what we thrive on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I can't say how stunned I am by the response to this post! As an aspiring writer this is just going to make me start crying, hopefully with a book in hand so no one will suspect it to be because of anything else. (: I was a little concerned that my giant ramble would confuse and be completely non-understandable, so I'm thrilled you agree and got it! x

      Delete
  9. Oh, and I hope you don't mind if I reply to the comments! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First comment didn't publish- Thank you so much for letting me guest post! I had an amazing time writing this up and am thrilled you enjoyed reading it! x

      Delete
  10. What a fantastic post! I like to think that even the books we don't like, still manage to make us feel or learn something :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right, even if it's just a way of writing that we know we don't want to use or a way a character is written that we don't really like- they all help! x

      Delete
  11. Oh WOW. I seriously LOVE this post! That paragraph that starts with I can’t live without books. HDUAHDUSIADHSUAIDHISUAHDIU PERFECT. THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I FEEL ABOUT BOOKS!!!<3333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AAAGGGGHHH That's so kind of you! Thank you so much- I'm thrilled to hear you were able to connect with it! x

      Delete
  12. Such. An awesome. Post. I completely agree with everything you said. I love books, even if they do break my heart. Maybe those especially because those are the ones I know I was completely invested in, with characters I could relate to, that were as good as real. You summed up everything I feel about books perfectly and just...aargh, made that love 10 times stronger right now. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful post, Romi. This is pure win: "the one you hated all along (and I think a lot of you know who I’m talking about now) who, in the last moments of life, show the best part of themselves and turn you into a wet mess. If authors knew what we went through, would they keep it up?". And the chart! Oh, you are awesome! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. ROMI, OH MY GOODNESS. It's like you just walked into my brain, walked into the brain of ALL READERS and perfectly articulated what we all feel <3 <3 <3 I ADORE this post with every fibre of my being... you are one smart lady ;)

    Like, honestly. Off to read this seven thousand more times because every single line, I kid you not, just resonated with me.

    THANKS SO MUCH FOR SHARING :')

    ReplyDelete
  15. And Brodezilla, your blog is looking BRILLSOME.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates