Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Interview with author of THE DIVINERS - Libba Bray!


If you're not already aware, Australian blogs are currently being infected with the wit, humour and intelligence of the one and only Libba Bray. From saz101 to Novels On The Run, and now I have the immense pleasure of welcoming her here! Who is Libba Bray? Uh, only the planet's most fascinating writer, who broke the awesome-o-meter with Beauty Queens, Going Bovine and the Gemma Doyle trilogy, introducing us to the likes of Captain Bodacious (like, only the coolest hot-pirate reality show ever), MoMo B. ChaCha (an Elvis-obsessed dictator with a stuffed monkey; also loves Captain Bodacious), Shithenge and a punk-rock angel. Not to mention every other character and creation she's ever dreamed up. This woman is fifty thousand shades of entertaining, insightful insanity.

To celebrate the recent release of her amazing new novel, THE DIVINERS, the ever lovely booknerds at Allen & Unwin gave me the opportunity to interview her, where she somehow managed to work with some of my ridiculously lame questions and produce a series of truly fascinating answers! Proven fact: Libba Bray can even make idiots look awesome. I might have to invest in a pocket-sized Libba.

________________________________________________________________________________

Libba Bray Interview

With The Diviners set in the 1920's, did you do much research into this era? What's the most fascinating thing you discovered?

Libba: I did tons of research, and I have to say, I enjoyed every bit of it. (Wow, way to sound like a real nerd, Lib. I don’t get out much.) I started by doing general reading on the period, books like Terrible Honesty: Mongrel Manhattan in the 1920s by Ann Douglas, Modern Temper: American Culture and Society in the 1920s by Lynn Dumenil, and Only Yesterday: An Informal History of the 1920s by Frederick Lewis Allen. Then I moved on to more specific books such as Playing the Numbers: Gambling in Harlem between the Warsby Shane White, Stephen Garton, Dr. Stephen Robertson and Graham White; and Flapper: A Madcap Story of Sex, Style, Celebrity, and the Women Who Made America Modernby Joshua Zeitz. I made use of New York City’s many resources: the New York Public Library, the New York Historical Society, the Manhattan Transit Authority’s archives, the Museum of Chinese in America, the Paley Center for Media. I did walking tours of New York neighborhoods with two historians. And when I really needed to knuckle down, I hired a research consultant, Lisa Gold, a librarian in Seattle, who was able to get me articles and primary sources I desperately needed. Hooray for Lisa! Hooray for librarians!

I think one of my favorite small discoveries was about the widespread quackery belief that radiation was good for you. There were some crazy theories—belief that it could cure mental illness, epilepsy, and the common cold. All sorts of products touted the wonders of radiation. I came across an ad Al Jolson did for a therapeutic irradiated patch for the throat that Jolson claimed really helped his voice. (Yikes!) But my favorite was a “health drink” called Radithor which was water that contained 1% radium. A wealthy businessman named Eben Byers used to drink the stuff like soda. When he died—horribly, as I’m sure you’ve already gathered—the Wall Street Journal’s headline read: “The Radium Water Worked Fine Until His Jaw Came Off.” Fun stuff.

What are three things writing The Diviners (or writing in general) has taught you?

Libba: 1. It’s important to read and understand the lessons of history.

2. Don’t drink irradiated water.

3. Prohibition was a silly idea.

Where is the spookiest/creepiest/most haunted place you've ever visited (or would like to visit)?

Libba: Oh, wow. Great question. As a fan of haunted house stories, I’ve always wanted to visit the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose, California. http://www.winchestermysteryhouse.com/ And as someone obsessed with the movie, “Rosemary’s Baby,” I’d love to get a peek inside the Dakota apartment building where it was filmed.

(The Dakota, c. 1912. Corner of Central Park West & W. 72nd Street, New York City)

But I’d have to say that the creepiest/scariest/most haunted place I’ve ever visited is my own mind. J

Which character, from any of your books, has been the most entertaining to write?

Libba: Hmmm, now see, if I pick a favorite, all of the other characters will get their feelings hurt, and then when I come home, they will have Vaselined the toilet seat and replaced all the songs on my iPod with Pokemon versions in revenge. But I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that all of those girls in BEAUTY QUEENS were a criminal amount of fun to write.

Do you have an easier time channeling hilarious, creepy, or emotional scenes?

Libba: I’d say I probably excel at the unintentionally hilarious, which others interpret as downright creepy which then leads to a lot of emotional crying on my part.

How do you want to be remembered in 250 years time when bright, young, robotic-minds wander a museum of ancient 21st century books and stumble across one bearing your name?

Libba: As that author who was part of an international scandal involving Ryan Gosling, street mimes, and a drag queen musical featuring the songs of Burt Bacharach.

Lastly, how do you think the world is going to end?

Libba: In a bureaucratic bungle. In fact, I’ll bet that’s already happened and the world has ended, but someone forgot to send out the memo, and so we’re all still wandering around the office wondering why nobody’s made coffee.


1920s New York. A teen clairvoyant. An old evil. It has begun...

Evie O'Neill has been exiled from her boring old home town and shipped off to the bustling streets of New York City - and she is pos-i-tute-ly thrilled! New York is the city of speak-easies, rent parties, shopping and movie palaces, and soon enough Evie is running with glamorous Ziegfeld girls and rakish pickpockets. The only catch is that Evie has to live with her Uncle Will, curator of the Museum of American Folklore, Superstition, and the Occult - also known as 'The Museum of the Creepy Crawlies'.

When a rash of occult-based murders comes to light, Evie and her uncle are right in the thick of it. Even Evie's new pals - hoofers, numbers runners and activists, but all swell kids - are drawn into the investigation. And through it all, Evie has a secret: a mysterious power that could help catch the killer - if he doesn't catch her first...


Find THE DIVINERS at:
Goodreads | Booktopia | Fishpond | Bookworld


Follow Libba Bray on:
Website | Blog | Goodreads | Twitter | Facebook 

14 comments:

  1. Fabulous interview, Brodie. Definitely enjoyed this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’d say I probably excel at the unintentionally hilarious, which others interpret as downright creepy which then leads to a lot of emotional crying on my part.

    Heh! Unintentional or not, I adore Libba Bray's humour. ;) This is a super fun interview! And I'm sure I've said this a thousand times before, but I am a huge fan of the Aussie cover. I would trade a limb to own that version. :D

    Also, that Dakota apartment building gives me the shivers! I love scaring myself, though I could never enter a place like that alone. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh and I forgot to mention that I love the slightly changed blog design! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto! Darker purple header, beige-y background gone, and brown tabs! It's real pretty! I love it!

      Delete
    2. Yay, thank you! The old one was getting on my nerves and it didn't feel like it all coordinated together, so.... although I'll probably feel the same about this in 4 months :P

      Delete
  4. This lady? Damn funny. 'Nuff said.

    The more I hear, the more I want to read The Diviners! And I don't like the 1920s! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okayyy....I'm googling Winchester Mystery House right now...

    and. WOW. It does sound scary!!

    hahahaaa I LOVEEE Libba's answers! I can't believe I've never read any of her books before! Someone's got to smack me over the head :/

    Awesome interview ladies<3 AND BRODIE. I LOVE YOUR SLIGHTLY ALTERED DESIGN TOOOOOOOOOOOOOO<3

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great interview! I love how she did so much research :) That house looks scary! I don't think I could visit such a place. I'm a chicken :p

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Libba Bray's humour! I definitely need to read The Diviners and I'll probably end up giving Beauty Queens a go as well. Awesome interview! :)

    Ps - I love the new design, Brodie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. AHHH! You got to interview Libba Bray! *dies* Gosh, I just love these questions and answers though! Bray is always such a riot and RYAN GOSLING? Yesssss! ;) Amazing interview, Brodie, so thanks for sharing, dear! Also, I hope you're enjoying The Dark Light! *fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete
  9. HEHEHEHEHE! Is it bad that, when I see 'Winchester Mystery House', I think of something completely different and sibling related? *grins*

    And: " But I’d have to say that the creepiest/scariest/most haunted place I’ve ever visited is my own mind. HEEHEHE! BRODIE. IT'S LIKE SHE'S US.

    And... Brodsky, I love this interview. I love your questions, and I love that they've elicited hilarious responses, and... is it weird that Libba reminds me a bit of you?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful interview! This book is crazy good. My review is coming. I am in a funk like I was with Stormdancer where having trouble writing the review. Soooooo much in this book = sooo much to spoil, so I think better in the shower, so I have to have a few showers...running water is my thinking space...weird I know:S

    How good was the Q about the spookiest haunted place....LOVE THAT Q!!

    In all the nerd alert research I did on Libba, she has such fun with her interviews and answers. WHich I love about an author. She is very generous with her responses. And a hoot!!

    Thanks for the shout out too Miss Brodie xx

    Mich

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH MY GOD I LOVE YOUR NEW LAYOUT!

    Great interview. I really liked the second last question. I just posted my review the other day. So good! I have yet to read your review but I'm on it! Kind of excited now that I can start reading reviews on this thing and seeing how others liked it (or didn't). I've got an interview for mid-December and I still need questions to ask. Eek!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds totally different from what I would usually read, but I feel curious about it. Thanks for the review!

    Marlene Detierro (Alaska Fishing Lodge)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates