Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Review: Through The Ever Night (Under The Never Sky #2) by Veronica Rossi


Author: Veronica Rossi
Release Date: In stores now!
Publisher: Atom (AUS/UK) | HarperCollins (US)
Sequel to: Under The Never Sky
Thanks to Hachette Australia for the review copy!
Aria has struggled to build a life for herself outside Reverie. It hasn't be easy adjusting to life in the wilderness but that struggle has been worth it with Perry by her side.

But Perry has other challenges. His people are looking to him for answers. Answers about what happened to his nephew and what's happening to their world. And they don't trust the priviledged Aria, one of the enemy, in their midst.

Soon he'll be forced to chose between the tribe that looks to him for leadership and the girl that looks to him for love.

I make it no secret to anyone with ears and eyes and the capability to somehow interpret my often crazy and incoherent gushing that I am in love with Under the Never Sky. It was a book I long awaited, and one that shone brighter than I ever anticipated. And now I enter a new stage in my relationship with this series: the OMG THE SEQUEL DOESN'T SUCK  IT'S AMAZING BUT WHY ARE YOU BEING AN IDIOT PERRY NEVERMIND I STILL WANT TO RUB WINGS WITH YOU MY SEXY FALCON AND OH ROARIA THAT WAS BEAUTIFUL AND NOOOO! VERONICA! WHY DID YOU JUST STAB ME IN THE HEART I THINK I'M GOING TO DIE THIS IS SO GOOD. Suffice it to say, Through The Ever Night lived up to the extraordinary potential of Veronica Rossi, zapping me back into her dangerously beautiful world, playing puppeteer to my every emotion; suspense exerting it's full magnetic pull on my body as it inched my butt closer and closer to the edge of my seat so that I nearly toppled off as arrows flew and hearts broke and aether came screaming down with no hint of mercy.

Aria and Perry don't spend as much time together as they do apart, but this is far from being a flaw. Theirs is not an unhealthy, co-dependent relationship but two strong individuals sharing a deep love. A sinister edge of doubt does creep in during that absence, but overall their mess of feelings is still so potent, you don't need to be a Scire to scent it. Most all characters show notable growth, some subtle, others huge. Perry discovers exactly what it is to embody the role he's long sought after; it's one thing to take the title and chain of Blood Lord, but another to make it yours, skin and bone and mind and heart deep. He faces many complications, from the scarily unpredictable aether destroying his land, to an equally unpredictable tribe at times, but those stones beneath his feet are a necessity in his evolution. Even if there were a few moments of I WILL CLUB YOU OVER THE HEAD IF YOU DO THAT, PERRY. I still fiercely love him!

Much to my delight, Roar stamps his smooth, witty persona on more pages than in the previous book. Hilarious, teasing, yet sweet as ever, it makes it all the more unbearable to play onlooker when he endures pain. You just want to shred through the pages and hold him close and promise everything will be better tomorrow even though you know it won't. Most of his and Aria's time is spent together, searching for way to free Liv and Talon and find the Still Blue, and this is one of my favourite parts of the book. Rarely do we see such a beautiful relationship develop between a male and female that is purely platonic, without the guy being gay. I love Veronica for showing that a girl and a guy can love each other without knotting tongues and legs!

Rossi is inhumanely good at writing heartache... and action and romance and conflict and setting and danger and beauty and humour and let's be honest here, one day we're going to tell our grandkids that we were the first devout followers of the story goddess, Veronica Rossi, and they will look up at us with their eyes wide in awe because holy shit, Grandma, VERONICA ROSSI, asskicking queen of the bestseller lists who we pledge our souls to on bended knee every night?! (Through the Ever Night debuted on TWO bestseller lists. She's taking over the WORLD).

If have yet to discover why so many of us are ripping out our hearts and mailing them in sacrifice for the next book (hell, just the next chapter!), then please do yourself a favour and acquire Under the Never Sky immediately. You won't be disappointed, and awaiting you is a sequel exploding with passion; rising higher atop the solid foundation it's predecessor built, suffering none of that wretched middle-book syndrome; rather it's in shockingly brilliant health. A story that exhales life with every smile and stroke of skin, every painful revelation and fist swung, every love lost and found, and every boulder these characters must climb. It's because of this richness that you're left with no doubt in mind that come the next installment, you'll be left soaring even higher beneath a beautiful still blue sky.

5/5 Golden Apples!

Add it: Goodreads

25 comments:

  1. BRODIE! I MISSED YOUR REVIEWS SO MUCH!

    Yes, to EVERYTHING you said! Gosh, I had so many moments where I was ready to strangle Perry because WHAT WAS HE THINKING but I still love him. (You put it perfectly: "RUB WINGS WITH YOU MY SEXY FALCON") Only, the problem is that he's MINE! ;)

    I think Roar and Aria's friendship is always one of my favorite aspects of this series. In real life, the girlfriend SHOULD integrate her life with that of her boyfriends, becoming friends with his friends and vice versa, so I was thrilled to see that in this. Plus, Roar and Aria help each other out the way that Roar and Perry do, so there's is a friendship you can't help but love. Also, didn't you just LOVE the mystery surrounding Cinder and the Still Blue? Gahh, I need Book 3 already! Also, one of my friends suggested that what happened on the balcony may not be the truth, considering Roar and Aria were running away. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that because I can't bear it if Roar is sad! I'm like Aria - I just want to soak up all his sadness myself because beautiful people like Roar shouldn't cry! I mean...he's ROAR! *sobs*

    Anyway, amazing review, Brodie! I'm so glad you enjoyed this one and I know I'll be doing some mass murdering to get my hands on an ARC of Into the Still Blue. (!!!!) ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KEERTANA! I have missed you! ALL OF YOU <3

      Except the possessive part that thinks she has any claim over my man!

      YES. EXACTLY WHAT YOU SAID. I think Aria, Perry and Roar are one of my favourite trios since Harry, Ron and Hermione. Each as individuals and their separate relationships with one another and as a group. They all have amazing chemistry. OH MY GOSH, CINDER. I LOVED seeing him in this. He manages to break my heart and make me smile at the same time <3 I am insanely eager to see how things will work out for him in the third book with everything we've learnt.

      I WAS WONDERING ABOUT THE BALCONY TOO. I thought that maybe I'm being too hopeful and looking for a happy ending, but... like you said, we don't actually know FOR SURE. Please please please be tricky, Veronica. "beautiful people like Roar shouldn't cry" <--- I would very much like to tape this above her computer screen as she writes!

      Haha I swear I'm going to go nuts if I see anyone with a copy before me. But at the same time, I'm not ready for the series to end!!

      Delete
  2. BRODIE BRODIE BRODIE BRODIE BRODIE BRODIE BRODIE BRODIE BRODIE BRODIE BRODIE BRODIE BRODIE BRODIE BRODIIIIIIE.

    Firstly: EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! I LOVE YOU! *GLOMPS*

    SECOND: You deserve some kind of award for making this a sentence: "OMG THE SEQUEL DOESN'T SUCK IT'S AMAZING BUT WHY ARE YOU BEING AN IDIOT PERRY NEVERMIND I STILL WANT TO RUB WINGS WITH YOU MY SEXY FALCON AND OH ROARIA THAT WAS BEAUTIFUL AND NOOOO! VERONICA! WHY DID YOU JUST STAB ME IN THE HEART I THINK I'M GOING TO DIE THIS IS SO GOOD."

    And and and... you give me CHILLS reading this: "it's one thing to take the title and chain of Blood Lord, but another to make it yours, skin and bone and mind and heart deep."

    And I LOVE what you said about Roar and Aria's friendship. it's so beautiful seeing a purely platonic friendship and and and *sigh*

    SO MANY HAPPY-SADS, BRODIE. *ASPLODES FROM THE FEELS*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dying. With laughter. That new relationship stage: SO TRUE. Everything in there is 200% correct. TTEN just about made me insane. I really don't know what to say in this comment because you already said it all. I just... *faints* ..need...moooooore..... This series is perfect. Your review is perfect. VERONICA ROSSI, WHY SO PERFECT?!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. BRODIE BRODIE BRODIE I FREAKING MISSED READING YOUR INSANELY HILARIOUS AND AWESOME REVIEWS!!! HAHAHAHA I CAN JUST IMAGINE YOU SCREAMING HOW IN LOVE YOU ARE WITH THIS BOOK!
    Urghhh HEARTACHE? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Meeee cannot bear any more heartache! I NEED TO READ THIS SOON. VERY, VERY SOON.<3

    ReplyDelete
  5. BRODIE! How can you do this to ME?!?! Now I WANT to read this book even more than I did already. I mean, I wasn't a super duper fan of the first book and yet . . . THIS (your review) makes me WANT this book like my life depends on it! Hehe. Can't wait to get my copy of it soon! Fab review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! And now I really remember why I missed my Brodie. This is an EPIC review of EPICNESS. <3
    I still haven't read Under The Never Sky after buying it from YOUR recommendation but I will soon and then I will read it's sequel STRAIGHT AWAY. How could I not? <333

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm an awful person - I haven't even read the first book in this very popular series. Don't hit me round the head, please!!! This series has been on my wishlist for a very very long time, I just haven't got round to it yet...However, after reading your very persuasive, positive review, I want to start this series even more! I am dying to meet Perry and Roar :D Fab review, Brodie! That first paragraph had me laughing like a lunatic. I love it when a review is full of personalitity and general bubbly-ness!

    By the way, you have the most GORGEOUS RATING SYSTEM I'VE EVER SEEN! (You know I'm jealous when the caps come out...) ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Roar sounds great, and I can't wait to start the first book. Thanks for the lovely review.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. i need my roar fix . Haha Brodie your a genius and should have your own tv show

    amazing review brodie . huggs

    i hope my copy arrives soon

    ReplyDelete
  10. BRODIE! WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME?! MAKE ME WANT THIS BOOK NOOOOOOOOOW WHEN I AM NOT AT HOME FOR SEVERAL DAYS AND CAN'T PICK IT UP RIGHT AWAY?! You are cruel!

    However. BEAUTIFUL review! I love your crazy gushing yet bloody smart writing. Le sigh. I am so jealous. Misses, you shouldn't definitely put your writing skills to story writing, because man, that'll be one hell of a book.

    Oh, Brooodie! I wants this nooow. :( What am I going to do?

    Also: "I love Veronica for showing that a girl and a guy can love each other without knotting tongues and legs!" - REALLY made me laugh! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahem. -_- Brodie.. did I forget to tell you that Perry is mine? As in, ALL MINE??? STAY AWAY, YOU.

    But I think I could forgive you just this once, as that review is PERFECT. I felt exactly the same way about this book - about Roar and Perry and just EVERYTHING. Veronica Rossi is super talented, and I still hope this book will take over every single best-seller list there is. I cannot WAIT to read the third book... and anything else Rossi might write after that. She's on the automatic-buy list now. :)

    Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This has got to be one of the best reviews of Through The Ever Night that I've read. You covered everything I loved about the book - how strong both Aria and Perry are, their love for one another, Roar, Roar & Aria's friendship and so much more! I remember when I read Under the Never Sky last month, I didn't have high expectations. Then I fell completely in love with it and even more so when I read Through the Ever Night. Veronica Rossi is such an amazing writer. I can't wait for the third book!

    Great review!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've skimmed this because I still have UTNS sitting on my shelf unread.. I know! What's wrong with me, I obvs. need to start this series NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now this is a book I HAVE to read. If you loved the sequel this much, I've got to see what this series is all about! Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this review! I also just finished reading this book, and have rated it 5/5 stars. I felt it's actually a better read than the Under The Never Sky was, and I enjoyed it heaps more.

    Your take on reviews makes me laugh (in the good way)... ie. OMG THE SEQUEL DOESN'T SUCK IT'S AMAZING BUT WHY ARE YOU BEING AN IDIOT PERRY NEVERMIND I STILL WANT TO RUB WINGS WITH YOU MY SEXY FALCON AND OH ROARIA THAT WAS BEAUTIFUL AND NOOOO! VERONICA! WHY DID YOU JUST STAB ME IN THE HEART I THINK I'M GOING TO DIE THIS IS SO GOOD. <----- this is the best. :D

    Mel @ Book Nerd Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brodie, I freaking love you.

    OMG THE SEQUEL DOESN'T SUCK IT'S AMAZING BUT WHY ARE YOU BEING AN IDIOT PERRY NEVERMIND I STILL WANT TO RUB WINGS WITH YOU MY SEXY FALCON AND OH ROARIA THAT WAS BEAUTIFUL AND NOOOO! VERONICA! WHY DID YOU JUST STAB ME IN THE HEART I THINK I'M GOING TO DIE THIS IS SO GOOD. - Oh my, this had me grinning and silent laughing. You're too funny ^__^

    Oh, I love the sound of Road and Aria's relationship. It's rare we come across such a lovely-sounding platonic relationship and hearing you talk about it only makes me want to read this even more!

    Brodie. I have missed you and your beautifully chosen (sometimes x-rated) words and your passionate, explosive reviews. I know how much you loved Under the Never Sky so I am so, so happy you loved it so very much. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hahahaha..your review is awesome! It made me laugh and realise that I should get to Under The Never Sky soon :)
    new follower :)

    Janhvi @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm always both nervous and excited when starting a sequel, because sometimes they can be underwhelming and not as good at the first. Not the case here though is it? TTEN was bloody brilliant! I completely agree with what you've said - Rossi is amazing at writing heart ache, I felt ALL THE FEELS when reading this.

    AND YES props to Rossi for showing that a guy and girl can just be friends. Roar and Aria's relationship is so beautiful. So glad that he played a bigger role in this book. <3

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hm... I guess you liked this one? Haha. I've heard only the ABSOLUTE BEST things about the sequel, so I hope I like it when I get to it. Eep. This one sounds even better than the first. I was actually kind of disappointed by the first one (don't hate me!), so I hope the sequel makes me a fan like you! Fantastic review, Brodie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. SHIT BRODIE THAT REVIEW. I CAN'T BREATHE RIGHT NOW.

    OH MY GOD THIS "Rossi is inhumanely good at writing heartache... and action and romance and conflict and setting and danger and beauty and humour and let's be honest here, one day we're going to tell our grandkids that we were the first devout followers of the story goddess, Veronica Rossi" YES YES YES.

    AND "I WILL CLUB YOU OVER THE HEAD IF YOU DO THAT, PERRY" oh my gooooooooodness the amount of times I was screaming at Perry and going "DON'T YOU DARE PERRY. DON'T YOU EFFING DARE".

    That was such a beautiful review. It brought on all the feels all over again!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Brodie! I can totally get behind every single word you wrote in this review. This book took my breath away and well... I'd rub wings with the sexy falcon as well, duh, who wouldn't? I didn't mind them being apart for most of the book, you're right about that too. And it was all paced so perfectly, was it not? Veronica Rossi is my hero.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What an amazing review to bring you back into the blogging world - you were sorely missed Brodie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. BRODIEEEE! HIIIIIIIIIIIII. Long time no see. *hugs*

    I hope I get on with this book better than the first. I know, I know. It's impossible for me to not be in love with the first one, right? You think I like standing so far out of the hype? :P I think I actually need to read it again before this one, seeing as I've pretty much forgotten what happened in it lol. I'm glad Rossi has created an amazing relationship here between a guy and a girl that is just platonic; it's so refreshing. Stunning review as always, hon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. You already know what I think of you, Brodie, and your magic talent for review writing. You are made of genius. I'd sacrifice my beloved hair in your name if it meant fueling your inspiration because THIS IS JUST TOO AWESOME FOR ANYMORE WORDS.

    ALSO: "I WILL CLUB YOU OVER THE HEAD IF YOU DO THAT, PERRY." I already glued a few extra inches to the end of mine in preparation for imminent impact as needed, so you can borrow mine.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates