Monday, February 4, 2013

Dance of Shadows Blog Tour: Interview with Yelena Black

Thanks to the amazing Bloomsbury Australia, I'm delighted to welcome Yelena Black, debut author of the upcoming DANCE OF SHADOWS to answer some questions today! Romance, mystery and a little devilish charm, Dance of Shadows is sure to pirouette off the shelf and into your hands the moment you glimpse its gorgeous cover!

Be sure to check out the Dance of Shadows Facebook page for the next stops on the tour, and also to keep updated on the thrills and dangers of this hot new release!


"Dancing with someone is an act of trust. Elegant and intimate; you're close enough to kiss, close enough to feel your partner's heartbeat. But for Vanessa, dance is deadly – and she must be very careful who she trusts . . ."

Can you sell us Dance of Shadows twitter-style, in 140 characters or less?
An edge-of-your seat romantic thrill ride about a girl in an elite ballet academy, searching for her missing older sister—and what she uncovers in the process.

Ballet plays a huge role in the book - do you have any experience with dancing? If not, did you do any research to help zone in when writing the dance scenes?
I trained as a ballet dancer when I was younger, so the world is familiar to me. I was never as talented as any of my characters, though, and I never attended a professional school like they do, so I did do some research about those elements—what kinds of classes they would take, what would be expected of them—but I also just created a lot myself. I spent a fair amount of time in Lincoln Center walking around, feeling the surroundings, and imagining my characters there.

In addition to ballet, mystery is also a vital player in Dance of Shadows. Is it difficult to try to consciously maintain the suspense or does it just flow naturally from you?
I grew up reading mysteries, and so I think suspense and plot twists are sort of in my blood! As a reader, I love being kept on the edge of my seat … and I definitely wanted Dance of Shadows to be that sort of book as well. Some of the suspense was inherently there in the first draft, but this is also something I worked on diligently during revisions.

The cover art is stunning! What were your initial thoughts when you first saw it? Was it anything like you were expecting?
Thank you! I honestly wasn’t sure what to expect, but I was completely blown away when I saw the cover. I feel so lucky, and it’s such a beautiful piece of artwork.

Has writing been a long-life dream for you or one that developed during your adult years?
When I was younger I wanted to be a dancer, but ever since college I wanted to be a writer. I finished my M.F.A. in fiction and began writing for teenagers—and I’ve never looked back!

What's on your iPod right now?
Dashboard Confessionals “Alter the Ending.”

The next movie you're dying to see is... ?
I haven’t seen Lincoln yet, and I’m very interested in seeing that. Also, if there is ever a sequel to Pitch Perfect, I will be standing in line bright and early!

And the last book you read was.... ?
Kathryn Littlewood’s Bliss. A delightful and funny book for middle grade readers about a family with a magical bakery.

Add Dance of Shadows to Goodreads
Buy it at: Fishpond | Booktopia | The Nile | Bookworld
Find Yelena Black on: Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads

14 comments:

  1. EEEEEEEEEEEE. I'M JUST AS EXCITED ABOUT BRODIE PSOTS AS I AM AMAZING INTERVIEW.

    You know how, sometimes, an interview is just... so compulsively readable? Like you're sitting in a room having a conversation with two friends? THIS.

    And seriously, the artwork is STUNNING.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool interview, Brodie. I'm still debating whether to read this book or not but . . . I do love a good old mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This fictional story is bound to capture the hearts of teenagers and adolescents, especially, those that love nature, and wild animals. i believe this story will attract readers WHO square measure romantic deep down and people WHO love wolves and therefore the decision of the wild. this is often a story for anyone WHO has felt they existed in 2 worlds, however haven't slot in either one.
    ballet classes in orange county

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would be very happy with a cover like that too. So pretty! :) Thanks for sharing this interview, it was so much fun to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview, Brodie! Still unsure if I'll like this book, but I'm going to give it a go :) Thanks for the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I received Dance of Shadows for review and it's currently sitting on my shelf, waiting to be read. It looks so good! I love a bit of mystery, and I have never read a book involving ballet before.

    I totally agree with you - that front cover is beyond stunning! It's the most beautiful cover I've seen in ages! If I saw this in a bookshop, I'd buy it just for the gorgeous cover.

    Brilliant interview, Brodie and Yelena. Thank you so much for sharing this! :D x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm on the Dance of Shadows blog tour this week too and I asked the same first question as you. Haha! Great minds!

    I'd like to get the cover of this one enlarged and framed. It's that pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was such a fab interview to read! I'm looking forward to reading my copy of Dance of Shadows and I can't wait to immerse myself in the magical world of ballet and mystery! It's interesting to hear Yelena was a dancer herself and how awesome that she went to the place where her book is set to experience the surroundings of her characters! And I agree with you, Brodie - the cover art is simply STUNNING!!!

    Thanks for the wonderful interview, Yelena and Brodie <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these questions, Brodie! I really want to see Lincoln myself and gosh, I'd LOVE a sequel to Pitch Perfect! ;) Anyway, I haven't been too keen on this book but all the blog tour posts are really making me re-think my decision to read this. I think I'll have to give it a shot for sure, now. Thanks for sharing, Brodie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great interview, Brodies and Yelena! Now you've reminded me that I still have not seen Pitch Perfect - must get on that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great interview, ladies! I had wondered if the author had a history with dance when I started reading this book. :) And yes, the cover art really is stunning. It's one of mt favourite covers of the year. Stick that onto the front of a book about pig farming and I'd still pick it up. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My copy of this is still waiting to be read, but with that cover it looks so tempting! It is truly gorgeous. Wonderful review, ladies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, this cover IS gorgeous! You get the dance thing but then there's that mysterious vibe as well. I think I would be the worst person ever at writing any kind of mystery/suspense :P I admire the fact that other people can do it so well though! I'll have to check this book out -- thanks for the awesome post, Brodie! <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful cover! The story reminds me of Dario Argento's great ballet themed horror film SUSPIRIA. I'm sure there's 100% less maggots in DANCE OF SHADOWS though. RE: Black's dancer dreams – I think anytime an author draws upon their own history the writing is strong. I'm looking forward to checking this one out.
    M.J.
    www.mjhearle.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates