Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Review: The Indigo Spell (Bloodlines #3) by Richelle Mead


Author: Richelle Mead
Release Date: In all good bookstores now!
Publisher: Penguin
Thanks to: Penguin Australia for the review copy!
In the aftermath of a forbidden moment that rocked Sydney to her core, she finds herself struggling to draw the line between her Alchemist teachings and what her heart is urging her to do. Then she meets alluring, rebellious Marcus Finch--a former Alchemist who escaped against all odds, and is now on the run. Marcus wants to teach Sydney the secrets he claims the Alchemists are hiding from her. But as he pushes her to rebel against the people who raised her, Sydney finds that breaking free is harder than she thought. There is an old and mysterious magic rooted deeply within her. And as she searches for an evil magic user targeting powerful young witches, she realizes that her only hope is to embrace her magical blood--or else she might be next.

Populated with new faces as well as familiar ones, the Bloodlines series explores all the friendship, romance, battles, and betrayals that made the #1 New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series so addictive—this time in a part-vampire, part-human setting where the stakes are even higher and everyone’s out for blood

Sydney Sage, my how you've grown! Looking back at the strange, biased, yet slightly endearing Alchemist we first met in Blood Promise compared to her now, the difference is striking. She's tearing down the steel walls her Alchemist upbringing has built around her heart and mind. She's willingly participating in magic, she's thinking outside her once iron-clad beliefs and engaging in plots to defy, outwit and expose those she once followed. Let's not even get started on her colourful choice for a pet and that while she may tell Adrian 'it can't ever happen!', her actions tell an entirely different story. Girl has grown a pair of balls and she's fast learning how to use them.

Adrian. Is there anything more I can say about Adrian that hasn't already been screamed in varying notes of raging sexual desire from every female whose path he's crossed? I'm pretty sure you can even hear Dimitri growling his name affectionately in Russian every night. Sydney isn't the only one who's grown throughout the series. What I love more than ever is his persistence in this. It's becoming increasingly frequent that when things don't go his way, his immediate reaction is not to turn to the bottle or his smokes or some random woman all too eager to jump into bed with him (me! me! me!), but to persist with delightfully annoying momentum. Sydney may have rejected him at the end of The Golden Lily, but our favourite Moroi isn't stupid. He knew the kiss meant something, and so he's completely honest in declaring his intentions and feelings to Sydney. If she doesn't like it? Tough. He's not changing the way he feels and he'll wait for her as long as it takes. Of course, Adrian being Adrian, he's not going to wait idly by without pushing her buttons, which pave the way to hilarious banter, steamy interactions that no straight girl could resist, and helps to continue building upon the solid friendship that simmers beneath their crackling sexual chemistry.

Outside of the romance, Marcus Finch finally shows his face. While he doesn't live up to the huge expectations I had build given the hype prior to release, the first time he and Adrian meet? Epic. Witches and magic also play a heavier role as Sydney investigates some disturbingly fatal cases, and she could very well be the next victim. I will admit I haven't found the main mystery plots of each book in the Bloodlines series to be the strongest. The Indigo Spell's version of a witch's obsession with power and beauty is nothing new, however I did feel it maintained greater strength throughout the entire novel than the previous two. I can't deduct a stare or even half a star for this though, because what I love so much about the series is the characters and their tangled web of emotions. Richelle excels at character growth and building strong foundations for their relationships. Plus, I don't know if you heard, but there's this guy called ADRIAN. (I am maybe, slightly, a little bit, in love).

The Indigo Spell does not follow the same third-book trend as Shadow Kiss, although I've no doubt Richelle will hit us with that kind of punch to the heart again soon. Instead, it is the most grin-inducing, flirty, romantic novel we've received from her yet. Think lacy dresses and bunny themed hotel suites, steamy spirit dreams and pie, painted shirts (SWOOOOOON) and the only college sorority you will ever want to join. It gave birth to the biggest smiles and most embarrassing giggles from this smitten little human. But really, it's worth reading just to see what Sydney names Adrian's Mustang. I'm not going to spoil it for those who haven't read, but let's just say I want to ride it so bad ;)

5/5 Golden Apples!

Add it: Goodreads
Buy it: Bookworld | Fishpond | Booktopia | The Nile

**Please feel free to leave any links to your own recent posts in your comment so I can stop by. I am soooo behind, I always am!**

17 comments:

  1. LOL BRODIE! I love how you call Sydney "STRANGE" in Blood Promise! YESYESYES! ADRIAN<333 I loved the banter, AND OMG. SEXUAL TENSION. Dude, obviously no straight girl can resist their steamy interactions, but I'm betting NO NON-STRAIGHT GIRL CAN RESIST EITHER!!
    Marcus Finch was a huge disappointment for me too...but ahh well...AT LEAST THERE WERE MORE SYDRIAN SCENES<3
    Loveee your review Brodieeee!<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! Sydney has grown so much since book 1 and Adrian is just as smexy as ever. The tension between those two in this book OMG. *swoons* I just love the friendship and banter they have! And yes, I totally agree Marcus was a huge let down. (I was worried that there would be a love triangle! *phew*) Anyway, lovely review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was SO disappointed by Marcus! I thought he was going to be this epic character or something . . . but turns out he wasn't really. Le sigh. But the moment he and Adrian meet . . . hell yeah! I love a good old fight! Even a small one. Hehe.

    Lovely review, Brodie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I'm pretty sure you can even hear Dimitri growling his name affectionately in Russian every night."

    LOL! Oh, that really made me laugh! :D So funny!

    Fantastic review! Oh how I love this series, and Adrian! AND I COMPLETELY FORGOT WHAT SHE CALLED THE CAR UNTIL YOU REMINDED ME! Hahahaha, you do make me laugh! Oooh, Brodie, you make me want to read it all over again! Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this, you are so right wise, wise Brodie (even though you do not deserve Adrian....) I just love the level of character development through both the VA and the BL books. Adrian has become so mature, yet still as sexy and devious as ever. I've always had a soft spot for Sydney, but I love how she's developing. And there were so many EEEEEEEE!!! moments in this book! Awesome review

    Cait x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is there anything more I can say about Adrian that hasn't already been screamed in varying notes of raging sexual desire from every female whose path he's crossed? I'm pretty sure you can even hear Dimitri growling his name affectionately in Russian every night.

    Brodie, how I've missed you!<3 I doubt I'll pick up this series, simply because I wasn't a huge fan of VA in the first place and can't deal with the ensuing drama/love triangle in this series. Also, I haven't heard too many good things about the first two books. I'm thrilled you loved this, though. It seems to be immensely pleasing all the fans of the series and gosh, ADRIAN! How I love him, so! :D Wonderful review, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  7. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! IT'S A BRODVIEW!
    Um... erm... OMG. Brodie "I'm pretty sure you can even hear Dimitri growling his name affectionately in Russian every night."
    *cries from laughing*

    Uh... I'm actually kind of glad this doesn't follow the third-book-Mead trend, B. I don't think my heart could handle it O__O

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dimitri growling Adrian's name?! That's something I will never be able to stop thinking about now! ;)

    I'm so glad you liked this, Brodie! I had an awful time with the first book, but a lot of people have convinced me that the series gets better as it goes on, so I'm willing to give it another try. Plus it's a relief to hear Sydney's character has improved. I've never been her biggest fan.

    Brilliant review as always, lovely! I've missed your golden apples. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. "I'm pretty sure you can even hear Dimitri growling his name affectionately in Russian every night."

    *falls over* LOLLLL BRODIE I CAN'T EVEN. So THIS is the joke you've been planning this whole time you were away!

    YES <3 THIS. BOOK. Everything you said is just everything that needs to be said. Sydney has grown so much, my favourite Alchemist :') She just goes for what she wants but is still so genuine and great and SYDNEY. And Adrian yaaaaaay!!!! I was jumping up and down when I read about how he wasn't going to pretend there was nothing between him and Sydney. Not that he needs to harass her into liking him but the fact that he just was so ADRIAN about it <3 <3 <3 A+, Adrian, A+.

    I'm so glad you posted a review! :D They're always the best of the best <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your review. Love it! It's funny and sexy and entertaining and just what I imagine The Indigo Spell to be like. I'm anxious to read it after how The Golden Lily ended and can't wait to finish my current read so I can hopefully dive into it next or at least very, very soon. Sydney names Adrian's Mustang? Sounds interesting, especially since you included a dirty, Brodie wink. Can't wait for the grin-inducing, flirty, romantic times to begin! FABULOUS review, B! &heart;s

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's true, they have both changed for the better so very much and I simply adore them! I think they make a fabulous couple. the swoon factor it extremely high in this one and I honestly can't wait to read more. November can't come soon enougn.
    As usual, your review is fabulous and absolutely hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm starting this one today and I soooo cannot wait!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. If I wasn't intrigued about the Bloodlines series before your review has changed my mind. Sounds like saucy fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now that I've written my review for TIS I'm reading over the ones on my feed and yours is my favorite yet. But Brodie. It is 8:30 in the morning and this:

    "I'm pretty sure you can even hear Dimitri growling his name affectionately in Russian every night."

    HAS ME HOWLING. Which will turn into a coughing fit soon because I'm suffering through a cold. I'll send you my medical bill. ;)

    No, really, I'm a giddy mess all over again and I'm going to learn Russian so I, too, can growl Adrian's name affectionately, haha. LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Eek! I still need to find out all the hype about this series. I loved Vampire Academy but I haven't picked this up yet. I'm glad your enjoying it as much as you are. And Aiden <3! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoyed but didn't really love the Vampire Academy series. Quite a few people have told me to give this one a try thinking that I might enjoy it more. Sounds like that might be true.

    Ronan Valerio (Seattle Criminal Lawyer)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post."

    POLISHED CONCRETE SYDNEY | CONCRETE RESURFACING SYDNEY

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates